KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Raist
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,022,158 Trump card
1,339,365 Picture Thread
478,154 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Wolfgang #99120 03/09/12 03:34 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
I would argue that you don't, since you're advocating for a car that must plug in when you get home.

Let's see. Peak electricity usage is in the evening all across this country starting around 3pm and ending around 10pm. So your solution is to make everyone buy an electric car that they plug in when they get home (6pm-ish), which will drive peak usage even higher, and then charge them more money for it so that they use less electricity.

[treasure] There was no cake smiley but when you figure out how to have all of this candy, AND eat it, then come back and talk to us about forcing people into something that requires greater use of a commodity that you're then going to, in the words of our illustrious leader, "necessarily skyrocket" into oblivion.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Kaotic #99128 03/09/12 07:44 PM
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
You are ether don't understand how peak demand works, don't understand how electric car charging works or being intentionally dense.

On the off chance that you really don't understand it, here how it works:

Electric cars generally get charged from 3 types of outlets - Level 1 - 120v ~15A, level 2 -220v 70A, and Level 3- 600v DC 400A+.

Level 1 and 2 are generally available in a household, level 3 requires dedicated line that normally would be available only on industrially-zoned property. If you only charge overnight at level 1 you get about 45miles, or it takes about 13 hours to fully charge. At level 2 you get to something like 60 miles PER HOUR charge rate. At level 3 it takes about 10 minutes to fully charge from empty, since maximum charge rate of the battery becomes a limiting factor.

Most electric cars would come with a home charging station, these are level 2 and they are "smart" chargers, that is you program them to charge your car off-peak.

So even if you drive your electric car completely dry, and even if you drive Tesla Model S with 300 miles range, you have enough time to charge it AT NIGHT since it only takes 4 hours to fully charge.

[Linked Image]
Sini #99130 03/09/12 07:59 PM
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Charging and range are not at all problems with electric cars, it is cost. You pay high early adopter's premium, but that the only way to get this technology polished and economics of scale started.

I know conservative troglodytes talking heads love to tell zingers about electric cars, but unlike conventional cars electricity is produced domestically. So every time you charge your EV more money get to stay home, instead of going to the desert to people that don't really like us.

As to advantages of electric cars - fantastic acceleration, no need for transmission or active engine cooling systems - electric motors are much easier to repair (about as complicated as getting your alternator rewound)... so aside from batteries you are looking at a drive train that is capable of 1mil+ miles.

[Linked Image]
Wolfgang #99131 03/09/12 08:48 PM
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Actually, less than economy of scale its cost of the batteries. The batteries use rare earth elements that currently have limited mining output. Domestic production is almost nil, though improving with the re-opening of the Mountain Pass CA mine owned by Molycorp.

Otherwise, most of the supply come either from politically unstable areas or China.

Once battery tech improves and prices come down due to prospecting new mines over the next decade, electric cars should become more viable regardless of govt trying to push it.

Ofc there are other issues, but mostly it still revolves around production costs for the batteries.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini #99132 03/09/12 09:34 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Charging and range are not at all problems?????
That is the basic problem with them. If you give me a
electric car that can take me where I want to go when I want
to go like a combustion car then you will sell me one.
I can jump in my car right now and drive to Chicago in 10 hours but any electric car I can't.

You seem to forget that electric cars have been around as long as combustion cars, so all the early adopters have died already.

Once again you like to blame conservatives for you problems. Try and be honest with yourself some time. Always blaming conservatives makes you look like a fool.

Wolfgang #99137 03/10/12 03:20 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
I'm just going to wait on buying an electric car. The Volt can't seem to hold a charge, and that's the small issue. The big issue is that it also seems to catch fire. Then they have a $100,000 car that has all kinds of issues with it, like not starting. Although it's not 100% electric.

One would think these electrical cars are putting the cart before the horse. What good is it to claim you helping the environment, while plugging your car into an outlet that is most likely powered by coal or oil. If the whole Idea is to use clean energy how is this suppose to help if people buy a lot of cars that have to be plugged in.

AGAIN... I believe in an America that can walk and chew gum at the same time. We can use what we have to keep gasoline at a more manageable price range. All the while research & developing other energies that can and will be cleaner and more efficient. We simply are NOT at that capacity right now to say renewable energy is efficient enough to solely use that source.

If you want a cleaner fuel that costs less, natural gas is the way to go. It's a lot cleaner burning, and cheaper. Though I'm sure with higher demand the price would go up, but not to the levels as gasoline is right now. It just makes sense to use what we have to stabilize prices, unless you don't care that people that are struggling to buy food let alone fuel to go to and from work in order to have a paycheck. Unless you want those people living off the tax payer dime.

Wolfgang #99139 03/10/12 08:43 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
This is actuactly a plan from Uncle Sam. While middle class suffer more from the price of oil and other products that are afected by it.

The future generations will have all deep oil intact in their coast while other countries will have it depleted.

So you guys have money now(economy strong enough to buy it from another countries), and if the technology does not evolve quickly enough to cease the use of oil your country will have it to use for their army and etcs..

Maybe is a small price to pay to have this resource secured for next generations.

Last edited by Mithus; 03/10/12 08:44 AM.

Animal Ethics: "I tremble for my species when I reflect that god is just." Thomas Jefferson.
[Linked Image from the-kgb.com]
Wolfgang #99146 03/11/12 07:35 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
I agree completely with you Mithus. There is definitely a strategy to not drilling all of our resources.

As for the electric car stuff, I think I'll model my decision off of Obama's and I'll buy one in 5 years. Assuming that they are still around.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Wolfgang #99521 03/23/12 11:15 AM
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council

[Linked Image]
Sini #99523 03/23/12 11:19 AM
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
You guys crack me up.

Part of the strategy is to push pump prices and industrial products pricing to the point where the cost analysis yields that alternative forms of providing petrol and industrial products is cost effective or at least a break even cost scenario.

Stop playing sides of an agenda and pull your heads out the speaking points ass and take a couple steps back and look at the Global manipulation picture.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard