KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 7 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Brutal
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,357
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sini 1
Popular Topics(Views)
2,052,119 Trump card
1,347,104 Picture Thread
483,065 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#7221 07/01/06 01:44 AM
Raekwon Offline OP
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
http://df.warcry.com/scripts/news/view_news.phtml?site=7&id=55513

I don't know about you guys but I'm thinking we set up camp right there on the mid western coast of Mirendil on that bay. Since of course we'll be a vast empire controlling a large portion of the map we have to be in a central location. In a bay so we have a navy, but also somewhat inland so we are closer to the eastern coast lines and could ride there if need be instead of boating.

Muahahha!

"It's not enough to win... others have to lose."
-Stephen Colbert 'Colbert Report'
Hall of Fame record
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Nice,

I see there is lots of islands that noobs think they are going to hide their fort.

Naval bombardment anyone? I just know i'm going to have 2 accounts.. one for PVP and one for naval combat.. OWNED.

Raekwon Offline OP
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
Yeah, all the forum trolls on the DFO site talk endlessly about their wet dreams of owning their own little island. But they said that the world map will show cities, sorta makes it hard to hide then... If a PK guild sees some little 5 man town on an island someplace they're gonna drool all over themselves at the thought of going out there and taking it over.

*5 friends buy ingame gold from Ebay to buy a ship and be able to afford buildings in their town*
*They search for days for a island that has a clan stone on it in which allows you to place a city*
*They blow all their Ebay gotten gold setting up the town and that night they get drunk in there level 1 Inn.*
*4am the next morning, the 10 man pirate Clan "Eat-your-face" storms the town and easily takes it over for free.*

oh and I almost forgot...

*The next day the 5 man guild that lost their town calls KGB's to help them; and we do since we're good like that.*
*Pirate clan is easily PWN'd and KGB had no deaths*
*We give the city back to the 5 man guild, however we force them to sub to our Empire and to pay taxes which are sent directly to the Jetstar character that is used as a bank bot for factional leadership to log onto and spend the money on the upgrades for the buildings in the empire's capitol city "Brewheaven".*

Hall of Fame record
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
haha

I've not done enough reading on this game but I hope it doesn't turn into a nation type BS like shadowbane was. That's all I need to see when I log in is one crest all over the place with the same person owning 800 towns.

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

That will depend on what travel skills they leave in.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
lol someone get ready to pl my newb !!

Raekwon Offline OP
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
The biggest problem with Shadowbane's land masses were that they weren't big enough. One guild could take over the whole map easily because their armies could all log in at their city up north and then all be down to the south side of the map in just 15 minutes. Or maybe it wasn't that the lands were too small but rather that they allowed the portal system. In either case you could get your army anywhere rather quickly.

In DFO however the map is HUGE, the biggest known map yet the devs have said numerous times. And they've yet to mention a portal system or even portal spells. So to go from the NW side of the Agon land to the SE side will probably take hours and only doable via boat, which is to say one of the many pirate clans dont get you on the way there.

Basically you couldn't have one guild controlling everything. The only way it'd happen is if an empire was organized enough with leaders trusting enough of eachother that you could have 1 massive city on the west side lead by Jetstar for example and another massive city on the east side led by Garal (just example ) and if each city had an army large enough to do all the protecting needed of its neighboring lands without the aid of the other massive city. But if Garal ever went berserk and felt like splitting off from Jet then it'd all fall apart, which is the case for most guilds, but not KGB, I really think we could manage it.

Hall of Fame record
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
It almost doesn't matter how big a world is if you have things like recall/gate (as in UO) or some other form of instantaneous travel.

An important element of strategy and tactics in combat is the concept of maneuver. If you can maneuver freely, and deny movement to your enemy, either as a result of terrain, or interdiction of lines of communication, you can put some serious hurt on an enemy. Any form of instantaneous travel ruins that, and spoils what would otherwise be very interesting features of game play.

I hope that DarkFall resists the temptation to make travel too easy, and that they force players to do things the old fashioned way. If you want to conquer territory, you need to have infantry march in, take it, and hold it.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out, but I am not optomistic. Players are to impatient to have to travel overland without some form of insta travel, but in a game that is based on conquest, that is a killer to good stategy and tactics.

To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Raekwon Offline OP
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
Since the devs have gone to great length in developing ships, huge ships with cannons that can hold an entire guild (which is saying a lot since in DF you can't "stack" on top of each other) I think they will force people to use ships to travel across the world instead of messing it all up with a public portal system.

The only thing I have heard is that people who go deep into developing their magic skills can branch off into a channeling skill line or maybe it was called meditation, not sure, but there will be a couple of very powerful spells that require a group of mages all standing together channeling their powers and if they can keep the connection going for long enough the spell works, however if anyone of them gets killed by an assassin or whoever then the spell fails. A portal spell of sorts may be a part of this group of spells.

Hall of Fame record
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Probably right. And I'll wager every guild will have twice the number of channelers required to do it, and they'll "channel" from within the safety of their own city walls. After the first couple months of DFO release, no one will be using ships anymore due to the easier and faster means of using the portal.

Fuck that. I hope there is NEVER a portal system in this game. It has ruined every MMO game for me that I've played, especially Shadowbane. Kingdoms, Navies, Piracy, and rivalries would exist much longer, and there would be far more intrigue without portals.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Raekwon Offline OP
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
The devs for DFO all played UO and Shadowbane so they know how the spell Recall in UO was used as a instant get out of trouble ticket, and how summoning in Shadowbane wasn't the slow one-at-a-time transportation method they had thought it'd be; that instead gamers learned how to chain summon and quickly transport entire armies in 10 minutes.

So far having blind faith in the DFO devs has turned out well. I think the issue of transportation will be another game mechanic that we can trust they'll do right and even further perfect through open beta.

Hall of Fame record
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Travel(warp) spells make a game world much much smaller. From what ive read i believe they are on track with the travel system they are going to implement. I believe boats will serve a huge purpose in this game. Ie: Moving materials across water to islamds for city construction etc.

I believe there will be a portal type system in the game but i believe its going to be very costly to do it even long term i believe itll be very costly and any guild would not be able to efficently use it to summon its army.

I personally hate portal type systems. Binding yourself in differnt locations is another topic and i do agree with this but only a bind type of system such as eq where you can only bind to a main city no where else.

[CENTER][Linked Image from nodiatis.com][/CENTER]
Raekwon Offline OP
KGB Arch Duke
OP Offline
KGB Arch Duke
I sorta forgot about their binding system. From what i've gathered from the DF forums the little bit of info the devs have leaked is that you can bind of course to major NPC cities and to your own clan's stone. Also though they mention being able to bind to smaller locations like little NPC villages that are near questing areas.

There was a link I posted here on another thread where a Dev described a good vs undead/alfar event area where you had a very small npc village with like 3 shops to trade at, then a graveyard full of undead, a mine shaft with undead dwarf miners, a church with monks and paladins, and finally the undead necromancer keep with a dungeon below it. He said you can bind to the small village.

This basically shows their idea of how binding will work. More like a DAoC or WoW style instead of a Shadowbane style where you always spawned at your city. This will have a large effect on guild warfare, the invading army, even if from the other side of the planet will be able to make allies with a local town and ask them if they can bind to their stone. Then when they die they only go back to that stone instead of their guild stone. Of course there is a magic res spell in the game so alot of people probably wont be releasing to their stones anyhow, just waiting for a battlefield res.

Player run cities built near the NPC starter capitols are gonna find this a problem as people will bind to the NPC capitol and then just run from there to your town to kill you.

Hall of Fame record
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Travel(warp) spells make a game world much much smaller.

Yap, and I absolutely hate that a game developer would go to the trouble of making vast, explorable and conquerable landscapes, only to be undermined by a lame ass teleportation system. I really hope that Naval and Horse travel are the two major ways for transportation.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
evac rfs

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
srfs!

I agree, travel powers have no place here, or in any mmo. Find yourself a spot and stay there until you have the means and motivation to go somewhere else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard