KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,357
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sini 1
Popular Topics(Views)
2,051,082 Trump card
1,346,923 Picture Thread
482,555 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Kay #55356 12/22/09 06:08 PM
KGB Knight
Email address needs updating
KGB Knight
Kay,

Said in a pretty rough manner, but true. If you want to be 'good' you MUST work hard at it. If you want to contribute to a fun bunch of people and have fun (sucking at PVP) my technique is pretty effective.

I'm seriously consider making Leeboi a tank that has maxed out magic resist. His main tactic would be to charge a group of spell caster to give our side time to nuke them while I 'confuse' them.

I can go mage killer in both melee and archer and pop rage as I charge the enemy. They will most likely focus on me for a few seconds 10-15. In that time our main PVPers would have time to drop a few nukes on them and me. Bone armor is cheap smile

If we win the fight I can be ressed, if not I would of died anyways.

Any ideas on this strategy? I want to useful in PVP.

Tasorin #55357 12/22/09 06:14 PM
Band 6
Band 6
Although it's great to have Melee skills raised, it's honestly something you should NOT concentrate on until you have your magics up, especially if you're doing this build.

In my opinion, the order you should do this in is ...

From top to bottom

Conversions (Basically LM to 50. Do NOT waste regs leveling up conversion spells, it'll level itself cause you'll use it all the time.)
Witchcraft to 75 for Witche's Brew (Again, don't not level it up, it'll level itself)
Elemental School:

I would suggest ...

Fire -> Impetus (1 Mandrake) or Firebolt (2 Sulfer) to 50 then Fireball - 50 max dmg - (1 Nacre + 1 Sulfer)
Air -> Guiding wind (1 Sulfer) or Ball Lightning (2 Mandrake) to 50 then Lightning Strike - 50 max dmg - (1 Mandrake + 1 Sulfer)

Others, Unknown
Water (No Common Area DMG Spell)
Earth -> Acid Arrow (2 Resin) or Brawn (1 Ash + 1 Resin) to 50 then Corrosive Blast (1 Nacre + 1 Resin)
Necro (No Common Area DMG spell)
Arcnae -> Mystic Shield (1 Mandrake) or Hasten Spells (1 Mandrake + 1 Nacre) or Sacred Missile (2 Ashes) to 60 then Flames of Vengeance (2 Ash + 1 Sulfer)

The reason I would go Fire or Air first before the others is because of the other spells. Fire Ward, Stormblast and Come Hither are active PVP skills. In my opinion, level you're ACTIVE skills first BEFORE you're passive skills. (Like Stone Skin). Also, the common theme these days is cycling Lightning Strike and Fireball. The reason you level you're Damage Area spells, is that they are easier to aim for the new player.

Other people can comment on the effectivness of the other schools. I just see them for their other effects (Utility, Buffs, etc ...) Don't waste you're time on Damage Other spells (the ones where the range is small). The argument that, "You can hit horses running away" is a "nice" thing to have, but only if you have nothing else to level.

1) Concentrate on you're goal. Don't be a newb and level 5 schools at once. Get one elemental school up so you're effective.
2) Don't waste you're time leveling all the spells in the school. Some are fun, but useless.
3) Concentrate on leveling up your Area Damge spells (Like Fireball and Lightning Strike) up first before others, mainly because you'll be using them the most.

Weaponskills - Level this up as you go to mob spawns. Do NOT setup a parrybot as the first thing you do, setup a macro for your school spells. The reason is simple. You do NOT have the hp to compete with EU players. You can always level up your weapon skills as you farm. With the introduction of the disabling blow (the one that disables parry) DON'T parrybot unless you have no money for regs to macro. Same with Archery, level as you farm.

Other NECESSARY Spells - when leveling GM, get Heal other. It's great for crosshealing, and as we get better, should be done on the fly with teammates. Calling out Witch's brew and heal other can get teammates back up to full in no time.

In my opinion, there's no viable support build. Nor is there any viable archer only build. Don't get me wrong, you should level up all the support, buffs and utility spells - but only AFTER you level your main damage spells.

Also, i'm not saying melee is useless - but you ALWAYS level up your range stuff first or else you'll be useless until we get close. Melee will come eventually but without any range, you can't do shit.

In review, my list would be ...

Starter Template (In order of importance)

Converstions (Lesser Magic) - You can use this in heavy armor and should use it ALL THE TIME NOT JUST WHEN YOU ARE LOW.
Damage Spells (Fireball, Lightning Bolt)
Archery (While Farming)
Melee (While Farming) - LeveL your 2 hander before your 1 hander because 1 hander only used for mount fights.

Last edited by Syloc; 12/22/09 06:17 PM.

Former KGB Member
Leeboi #55358 12/22/09 06:24 PM
Band 6
Band 6
Originally Posted By: Leeboi
Kay,

Said in a pretty rough manner, but true. If you want to be 'good' you MUST work hard at it. If you want to contribute to a fun bunch of people and have fun (sucking at PVP) my technique is pretty effective.

I'm seriously consider making Leeboi a tank that has maxed out magic resist. His main tactic would be to charge a group of spell caster to give our side time to nuke them while I 'confuse' them.

I can go mage killer in both melee and archer and pop rage as I charge the enemy. They will most likely focus on me for a few seconds 10-15. In that time our main PVPers would have time to drop a few nukes on them and me. Bone armor is cheap smile

If we win the fight I can be ressed, if not I would of died anyways.

Any ideas on this strategy? I want to useful in PVP.

You have to max out your melee schools and MAX out your conversions. The tactic for heavy melee is NOT suicide imho. It's rushing the casters, spamming conversions, and dodging with double jump. Depending on you're playstyle (Axe for Heavy damage, Polearm for reach, and Sword for Quick DPS)

Mind you leeboi, this isn't a cheap way to go. You'll be spending LOTS and LOTS of gold. If you intend on going this route, I suggest pairing up with magic user in the guild and DUEL DUEL DUEL. Don't depend on "i'll learn as we go." because it takes repetition to get better at pvp.

And not, "Stroke my epeen" duel - but a mutual duel. Experiment a little. Archer vs melee. Fireball vs Melee. etc etc ...

Don't just be suicidal. Practice kiting round corners while spamming conversions then turning around and heading back into the fight. Practice blocking spells then switching to your 2hander right before you get up to the enemy.

Be flexible.

The reason some people say, "as long as i'm having fun" is because they've never experienced success in pvp yet - they don't want to get too down. It's not that hard. Practice makes perfect. That's what the guild is for.

There's nothing wrong with losing. Just try not to make the same mistake twice.

Former KGB Member
Syloc #55366 12/22/09 09:21 PM
KGB Paladin
KGB Paladin
1k to 2k gold in an hour or two of mob grinding with a "small" group is super easy. Take that money and buy regs and find a place that you can macro without being killed. Or watch your toon as best you can. Don't pack on 1000 regs to macro... do short bursts like 300 to 400 until you get the hang of it.

#1 priority in my opinion... gotta work that magic up.

Leader: KGB Korea
Paladin of the Knights of Glory and Beer!
Former KGB RIFT BC Faction
Former Supreme Court Justice
Former Provost Marshal
Former GSS Agent
Former Knight Captain
Former Champion
Thomas #55375 12/23/09 05:07 AM
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
DAMN MAGEFALL..lol.

Syloc, noob question incoming..what do you mean by conversion spells..stam to health? I just realized I have not heard that before.

Leeboi, as much as it pains me, I have to agree with them. I am or have been pure melee to this point and bluntly put, am no more than an annoyance to enemies in PvP. Oh sure, on occasion I am lucky, but mostly I am the first down and out..EU players are very good, very quick to gank and take you completely out of the fight and simply put, maxxed weapons and archery are only so good..if you wear better armor for protection, you lose your ability to even be viable with archery.

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Vuldan #55378 12/23/09 06:04 AM
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
Stam to health, Mana to stam and Health to mana.
Mandatory spells to have.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Syloc #55384 12/23/09 09:03 AM
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Syloc,
I would disagree with the point about support characters. The best healer we have ran across is the Red Armies Kitty who was a buffer and healer and did a fantastic job at getting players back in the fray.

I thought Donk had made a post about her healing but maybe it was just chatted up in vent.

Hare #55385 12/23/09 09:25 AM
Band 6
Band 6
If you go to YouTube and watch the videos, you'll find that EVERYONE should be cross healing, not just one person.

I think the trap is that people are still thinking in terms of classes.

If you see someone low, use heal other, and do it on the fly. I don't see any reason you can't do both.

By saying you are going support, is telling me you are leveling your buffs before your damage spells. Don't. In the end the choice is yours, but I would rather have a teammate who knows how to fight and crossheal rather than a guy with only buffs. What are you going to do in the middle of battle? Is there any reason you can't do both?

Why i say this is that while that Kitty person may have done a great job, you'll see in battles that it's easier for a well equiped group to get a teammate back in the fray.

Look at it this way. If everyone has witches brew and heal other, if we are down, we'll call in vent "Get together for witches brew, 3 2 1." Boom, 4 players, all witches brew, all stacked. Everyone's back to full health." Why have one person have gimp skills because they consider themselves "support"?

I have to disagree with earlier, I wasn't saying that tank isn't viable ... because I think it is. I have just died to too many plate users to say that heavy armor rushers are useless. You just have to be smart with them. Stay with the group. Choose your spots. Don't just rush every time, then complain that no one's with you when you die. Think. Play smart.

With the amount of resists on plate, it's reasonable to expect someone with pots and conversion spells can last a long time. (Conversion spells, like someone said, are conversion mana to stam, health to mana, etc ... ) We just have to test them out in duels and 2v2s.

Last edited by Syloc; 12/23/09 10:32 AM.

Former KGB Member
Syloc #55409 12/23/09 04:02 PM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
After reading some of Syloc's post, the informative ones about building a minimum PVP toon, I have went and gotten Fire Magic and Fire Bolt.

I do know that magic is key to PVP in DFO mostly. Since I have LM and GM up to were it needs, I was able to get fire bolt and will level it to get Fire Ball.

I recommend that Syloc/Kay make a stick post about minimum PVP toons. Don't just say 100 in all melee and 100GM in all magic trees....that is very daunting. Syloc make a good point about no real need for melee skill in PVP (it is generally true). If your write it, explain the rational on the build and how to level efficiently.

P.S. Casting Fire Bolts looks like I'm spitting at the target smile

Leeboi #55411 12/23/09 04:28 PM
Band 6
Band 6
Well don't get me wrong. YOU NEED MELEE. Eventually all battles go to melee eventually.

I was just saying that, if you're leveling up skills, you should concentrate on magic first and melee just all the time generally when you farm and shit.

I only say this because if you only train melee first, you'll be useless at range.

But melee is REALLY important.

Can't go wrong with what your doing though, just train melee as you get up there in groups.

Last edited by Syloc; 12/23/09 04:29 PM.

Former KGB Member
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard