KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 53 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
ZoneOni
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,357
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sini 1
Popular Topics(Views)
2,048,326 Trump card
1,346,098 Picture Thread
482,124 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Band 6
Band 6
Hate to say it, but the best way to see if it's workable via your "settings", is litterally sitting down in a safe, but laggy spot at the next siege, and just test out different settings. As much as I hate to have people sit and do nothing, a smooth, playable game is much more important for the long run.

That's what I did. =P

Sounds to 8, and animation reductions up to 1.0 helped a lot for me. (or whatever that setting is)

Former KGB Member
KGB High Knight
KGB High Knight
Yall know that i cant go. If you need Bartender for fighting tho, someone else that can play sieges could load him up.

STUBS!

Band 7
Band 7
Ok.....most people have covered almost everything.

Keep in mind that the TYPICAL bottlenecks for any game are:

CPU (not as much s other components, but since DFO takes advantage of multiple cores and Core 2 Duo or higher CPU is advisable)

Video Card - This is a gimme...get the best you can, always. More RAM the better.

RAM - get 3 gigs if you can. If you have a 64 bit system..get more.....more more more

Hard Drives - Hard drives are mechanical and as such are ALWAYS a bottleneck. Setting up a stripe array is a relatively cheap way to get a massive performance boost.

Page file - if you have multiple hard drivers, set you page file to a different HD than you operating system is running on. This will give you a decent performance boost as well.

Former KGB Member
Hare Offline OP
Arch Duke
OP Offline
Arch Duke
Dunlop,
I have a 64 bit system running vista - Home Premium. When I had this system built we configured a raptor drive for the primary game drive and 2 500g in raid array. We only put 4 gig in but I don't run anything on this pc but the game and fraps, even antivirus is turned off almost all of the time.
I have a good motherboard and 2 9800 nvidia video cards (9800gx2).
Should I have a page file set up from my raptor drive to the 500g drives?
This pc works for sieges fine except for the out of memory (leak) disconnects. I am constantly at 30-40 fps in seiges and usually 100+ outside of sieges.
I am the least computer savvy member of KGB I am sure so if I should be setting something up to help with the memory leaks let me know.

Thanks

Band 7
Band 7
What kind of array are the two drives in? If they are striped..your page file should be on it in the least, if they are mirrored I'd still put it on the raid.

Page file on a different HD than your OS will always give you better performance. If those two drive are striped then I'd put my operating system on them and install the game to the stripe as well. Be sure to make alot of backups because you have more points of failure, but raw read/writes will be increased by about 30%

If you are getting 30ish FPS in a siege with that system I'd say your bottle neck is likely your connection and not your machine....although upgrading your connection may not do anything because your always only going to get info so fast from the other side of the world.

As far as the memory leaks go and out of virtual memory space, that is a client memory leak issue and it will only be fixed when they fix the client. Nothing you can do to fix that one.

If you want to spend the money, I'd double your RAM, but 4 gigs is a little above par for Vista.

The video cards are SLI right? What CPU are you running also and what is the northbridge chipset on your mobo?

Upgrade the chipset and video card drivers too BTW. That can help performance as well.

Former KGB Member
Hare Offline OP
Arch Duke
OP Offline
Arch Duke
Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz is the processor. 2 drives are mirrored. Motherboard is P5N-T Deluxe I dunno where to look up settings.

I am fairly sure my video drivers are up to date and will check on the chipset driver update.

I didn't think DFO supported SLI. I generally have settings on "let application determine" setup.

If you think the ram would help I can drop another 4 gig in.

Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
More than anything, I'm wondering what setting people use for sieges? What filters, shaders, what do they put on off, low, etc.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
KGB Paladin
KGB Paladin
damn if your getting 30 fps in a siege with 300+ peeps then that is damn good! Considering most of the people there are getting 4 fps or less. Why try to fix something that isn't broken wink

Leader: KGB Korea
Paladin of the Knights of Glory and Beer!
Former KGB RIFT BC Faction
Former Supreme Court Justice
Former Provost Marshal
Former GSS Agent
Former Knight Captain
Former Champion
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Strangely enough, memories of ShadowBane sieges and the power
point level framerates just came to mind . . . .

The minimal settings of just floating heads just cracked me up laugh

Overall frame rates can be attributed to a whole lot of variables
so it's going to be tough to pin it down. Your location may have
a lot to do with packet transit time and loss. If you're sitting
close to a major backbone then you may not have as many server
lag issues as someone who has to traverse half a dozen different
networks to get there.

Next time you run into a server lag spike, fire up a traceroute
and see where your packets are slowing down. You can usually
narrow it down to a network along the way, though getting
anything DONE about it requires nothing short of deity level
intervention. . . :|