KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 58 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Mmorning
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,357
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sini 1
Popular Topics(Views)
2,050,261 Trump card
1,346,701 Picture Thread
482,424 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Vyse Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Okay a few more notes:

-Does anyone else have a problem with the Journal taking an ungodly amount of time to load? (30seconds to a minute). I could not figure out where the quest log was and thought it was weird that it wasn't in the journal. I asked on vent and people said it was in the journal. So I opened the journal and it took waaaaaayyyyyy too long to load in. They need to make it less pretty and work on the performance issues on that. Seriously - I am okay with just text if it helps overall performance.

- Looked for 30 mins for Skeletons for a quest – they were not at the coords on the map so I stumbled across some bone knights and took one down. I don’t know that I was supposed to be able to take one out so soon with my stats as low as they are so I was proud of that feat – the loot was complete crap. The battle took a solid 4-5 mins because I was mixing in archery, magic and swords to finish him off. I have gotten much better at switching between them. I learned that I will be remapping the shift key. left shift is for sprint but it is also for switching spell bars - annoying when you go to swap weapons on the run but are holding shift so instead of swapping weapons it brings you to a blank spell bar. Not a huge deal, and I know I shouldn't be so sprint happy but I will be remapping this.

- Herbs...Herbs in the Alfar starting area are kind of hard to find. I found a steady spawn if you ignore the coords you get on the quest and when you leave the city turn left and go up the mountain there are plenty in that area to quickly finish the herb gathering quest.

- was hoping to get a fishing pole and try out fishing but didn't get around to it. I now feel totally ready for launch and if anyone needs help starting out I would be more than happy to assist in vent.

- I could not for the life of me figure out how to recall back to my bindstone. The guys in vent suggested I tab through the options which I did and there was something like /bindstone_recall or something like that and it just gave me an error message every time. Is this not a skill? If not that needs to be fixed. Anyone else have trouble with this?

Last edited by Vyse; 02/24/09 09:02 AM.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
I was lucky enough to spend some time on a beta account last night. I agree with everything that was said here. The FPS takes getting used to and I always feel like I have blinders on with no peripheral sight. The other thing to get used to quick is the mouse look, I have a logitech G9 mouse that is adjustable. Once I made an adjustment the mouse look became an extremely fast at looking around. With the limited vision it was very helpful to be able to look quickly 360 degrees.

The other thing I would say about DF is it's a kiters game as much or more than any other. Everyone runs, mobs, players, you, me it's all about picking your places to fight as well. I saw a thread that talked about using the landscape, this could not be better advice. In the goblin ruins for example just using line of sight to pull goblins around a corner can be the difference in soloing 2 at a time vs having 4 take you out with bows. I use the ruins, trees, rocks anything that can create a line of sight problem for the archer and caster.

The "swing" damage is nice too, when your not hitting your group members, damaging 2 or 3 at a time with one swing creates an almost aoe affect to your melee. You can run around a corner, and get a few whacks in at the first 2 mobs and keep doing it until you beat them down.

One problem I had was trying to mix in heals and spell damage even when I was in melee range. I don't recommend this, not just because I killed myself with spell damage once, since the heal is so small (around 4 hp a tick for 4 ticks) I was taking more damage in the time I was switching between the staff and the 2h than it healed for. Once you run for even a short distance you can put on your staff and get off a quick hot but the 16-20 hp it healed wasn't making much of difference in my fights, and if you don't strafe a bit as you run will take bow/spell damage.

I used a character who had leveled up a bit so I did not start from a new character, I am sure this will be a big difference on launch day.

In regards to resources and harvesting, we are all going to have to pound rocks, trees, etc to get what we need to start our city at launch. I think everyone is a bit nervous about the resources required and having everyone committed to grinding them will be important.

Don't forget 2 man teams (or more), I could have used someone watching my back.

I went from Deep Yushika? through Shoal to the coast and swam to the island and ran to our city last night late. The world was pretty empty.

My 2 gold worth - hope it helps.

Hare

KGB Champion - Taco Salad
Quote:

I learned that I will be remapping the shift key. left shift is for sprint but it is also for switching spell bars - annoying when you go to swap weapons on the run but are holding shift so instead of swapping weapons it brings you to a blank spell bar. Not a huge deal, and I know I shouldn't be so sprint happy but I will be remapping this.

I had this same problem. I just removed the key bind for switching hotbars.. I only use 1 anyway.

[Linked Image]
KGB High Knight
KGB High Knight
Vyse, as far as the looting goes, when im killing mobs and farming and what not, i open my backpack and drop it to the right hand corner of my screen. Theres a button on the top right of almost all GUI windows that should say sticky, when you mouse over it. If you click on that, then when you right click you backback will stay open. It makes for one or 2 less clicks when your fighting.

STUBS!

Vyse was playing at a low resolution.. I imagine he didnt have space for the bp to be open all the time.

[Linked Image]
Vyse Offline OP
KGB Supreme Knight
OP Offline
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Vyse was playing at a low resolution.. I imagine he didnt have space for the bp to be open all the time.

Yeah I changed that and it is much better in higher res. But didn't know about the sticky option. Good to know.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard