The KGB Oracle
Serving the online gaming community since 1997
Visit www.the-kgb.com
For additional information

Join KGB DISCORD: http://discord.gg/KGB
 
KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 57 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
AngryCajunKGB, Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp
1,478 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,097
Posts116,368
Members1,478
Most Online1,653
Mar 26th, 2026
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,828,983 Trump card
1,512,759 Picture Thread
580,242 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,988
Likes: 44
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
****
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
****
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 12,988
Likes: 44
Well guys, I think we may have to accept that the 1/22 launch is not going to happen. I am not going to let up, but we should be prepared.

I would hope that after this many years of development, they were further along than how this sounds!


[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 583
Band 5
***
Band 5
***
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 583
Yup. Starting to get a strong Dark & Light feeling about DFO but since they've released next to nothing in the way of information, I remain cautiously optimistic! Remember though, if DFO turns out to be poo...Mortal Online is waiting to sweep in and replace and I believe MO will release.


Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
KGB Knight
***
KGB Knight
***
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
Some more beta leakage..

Quote:

My first impression was that the world graphics are decent enough. The ground, trees, paths, water.. all designed and placed well.
I ran for great distances to explore the terrain and found that it changed like it should, and felt much like a real world and not fake like some games.

I could climb any hill for example, and generally didn't feel boxed in at all. So this part of the game was impressive to me. The environmental sounds were also good enough as well.

The sunrise was simply stunning, gorgeous. Clouds and night sky looked good as well. I did not notice any weather like raining, but, it may be either very rare or not turned on yet.

Generally it did feel pretty empty though. There are camps of monsters to be found here and there. There are also animations of small birds in the distance.. So this empty feeling may have just been from so few players being around.

The Character models looked ok from the close in 3rd person weapon drawn perspective. Not great, but ok for a PvP game. They looked a bit better while looking at another person on the screen, or while viewing your character while resting. Armor looks good as well. Aflar's glowing eyes look excellent.


The buildings and cities look well designed and are functional. I could not find any doors to open, but it felt natural enough with archways and open doorways. NPCs are functional but sparse.

I expected the interface to be horrible, but found it was very simple and easy to understand. It is like a nicer UO interface that could use a bunch of work, it is very crude I admit, but it is functional.

The biggest problem is that there are lots of things they say are not turned on yet. I have no idea if they just have to turn these things on or if they have to create them still, but I hope it is as they say.

As for bugs, there are a few, but less than I normally see in betas. The stability is pretty much perfect or better than most released MMORPGs.
At least with the small amount of players on now. This is the most shocking thing for me. I expected Darkfall.exe crashes, yet the game just doesn't crash. I could also alt-tab just fine, and generally it just works really well.

Melee combat feels like you are just trading blows. Back and forth. What can you say? They need to work on it and tweak it some.
Jumping does not really matter much with melee combat, it might with avoiding AOE spells aimed at the ground though, in theory. Sprinting is very cool because you can sprint for a very long time. You also skill up with it.

You can sprint and fight at the same time as well.. If you run out of stamina you are doomed.. Ranged combat is amazing on the other hand. Just great as it is. It is however very difficult to change weapons rapidly and switch between modes, unless I am missing something, which is possible.

As for the feel of the world, it feels very dangerous, it feels more like a world or a sim than just a game. There is also a sense of equality right away with other players.

Without levels it does feel like you matter from the start. While the skills still give a variety of things to work on and improve. So I think it can be a game for casual or hardcore players, provided they are seeking the most harsh environment possible while playing. The main point is that you don't have to grind for months to make a difference, but everything is going to be deadly hard right away, and stay that way. This part of the game just feels right to me.

As for the difficulty in general, it is simply very hard. The monsters alone are enough of a challenge, to say the least. They group, run away, attack you at extreme distances, you name it. I think they might need some easier mobs for players to start with, but with enough tactics you can kill these initial monsters.

Finally, it is hard to say how the game will be at release or to give a complete review with so many things turned off or not finished, but Darkfall certainly has a great amount of potential for PvPers seeking a harsh and deadly world. The game clearly needs work and some tweaks, but it does offer what they promised and what many of us have been waiting for. Darkfall is a dark world of harsh consequences. There is no denying that.





at least this guys views are more in tune with what I WANT to believe~

also this;

Quote:

"1. Anything that's being discussed about an Open Beta."

I think it is supposed to happen. Not sure when.

"2. Are big guilds just going to zerg anyone? Or numbers don't really matter?"

I would guess yes. Alliances and politics should matter much like they did in Shadowbane.

"3. Would you pay to play the game as it is on release? I mean there's not much stuff 30 devs can do in 3 weeks."

I would. It is my type of game and my type of world though.

"4. How big is the DF client?"

18.4 GB

"5. Is ping a big factor in winning a PvP? Or even PvE for that matter?"

Ping is not an issue at all. I know players on the opposite side of the world from the server and they do fine.

"6. Maximum range of a bow & mage shots? I mean you cant shoot an arrow and expect it to hit someone on the other side of a mountain."

Not sure max range on bows. Magic missile I think could hit about as far as you could see. They would see this glowing bit of magic coming at them however and could just move a bit.

"7. Any details about crafting. Like how important do you think it will really be? Seeing as you can easily zerg a dozen of humanoid mobs and get a few sets for your group.
What exactly are the benefits of a player crafted item? Things like that."

I have not crafted anything. I heard it is critical. Pretty much like UO I hear.






Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,929
KGB Supreme Knight
****
KGB Supreme Knight
****
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,929
I'm hoping the game releases...oh around July when I'm done with my tech school.


[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 875
Band 6
***
Band 6
***
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 875
No Jan 22? Wahhh!


Former KGB Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
KGB Knight
***
KGB Knight
***
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
as far as darkfalls devs are concerned, the release date is jan 22. Its community speculation that its going to be delayed.

Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,036
KGB Arch Duke
****
KGB Arch Duke
****
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,036
its the betaleaks that speak of everything being turned off for the most part that bothers me most


Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
KGB Knight
***
KGB Knight
***
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
If you go to www.betaleaks.com and look under the darkfall leaks forum, you will see they do have a confirmed beta leaker who has been doing his best to try and answer lots of questions, you will have to register to see the leak forum, the regular darkfall forum you can view as a guest.. I have read through the whole thread and the results are promising to me, save for the fact that they have so much stuff turned off. The leaker has been doing well in answering questions and put forth alot of info considering people where nearly 100% in the dark before.

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 875
Band 6
***
Band 6
***
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 875
Although a lot of people are putoff by no "open beta", I recall WAR was only 1 week of OB and it wasn't that bad. (Well they had CB for about a year).

So, as much as I want to agree with people about speculation, it isn't all doom and gloom; especially since they don't have to deal with class imbalance.


Former KGB Member
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
KGB Knight
***
KGB Knight
***
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 96
There is just a ton of info in the betleaks post, the guy actually answered many many questions put forth, what he could anyways. Its realy more info than I can copy and paste becuase it hits on so many subjects, you guys should check it out, its about a 27 page thread, but if you skip through and only read the leakers post you will get the gist of everything~

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.1