KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 42 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,033,784 Trump card
1,342,102 Picture Thread
480,137 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Well guys,

It sounds like I should wait till after the Holidays? Is that the best option? I could go to 2.5k if I wait till February.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Senator
Deceased
KGB Senator
Deceased
yes then I'd wait.

Given the choice of a 1.5k machine now or a 2.5k machine in 3 months I think all of us would chose the later.

You will be able to build/buy a nice pc with that budget that will let you enjoy games at a good resolution and high graphical settings for years.

Waiting should also mean the more mid range direct x 10 cards are out as well as competition from ati which should bring prices down.

You will also be able to make a more informed choice about vista then (although i guess it's possible that once vista releases you won't be able to buy a pc with xp)

You will be able to do away with all the comprimises that you would have had with 1.5k ie you can get a great graphics card, a nice soundcard, good ammount of ram etc etc.

The main reasons to wait imo though is for the extra money so if you could find the money now and are around to get full use of a new PC then I probably wouldn't wait. There is always something new just around the corner but we've recently had the launch of the great intel cpu's as well as very nice nvidea graphics cards so you can build a pc now without too much worry that it will be quickly out of date.

There are a few things to think about before decideing what to buy though, are you building yourself? or buying prebuilt?, do you care what the PC looks like? There are some really sexy allumium cases for a few hundred bucks or will you stick the case under the desk and not care? Other than gaming what else will you do with the pc? what about overclocking? do you plan too? as motherboard choice etc is more important if you want too.

I'd get something like : - (you said in your first post you just need the cpu, I'm assuming you mean you just need the pc and not a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc)

Case – Anything from $50 - $350 (you need to decide yourself what looks good to you, what I find sexy you may find ugly. Thought’s even change as you age, I’m sitting with an alienware next to me that 3 ½ years ago I thought looked amazing now I’m older I find it tacky and can’t wait to replace it with something nicer). I’m going with a Silverstone TJ-07 myself at $339. But I’m assuming $200 for this spec for you.
Powersuply - $150
CPU – Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 - $459
Better CPU cooling - $60
Graphics card – Nvidea 8800GTS (direct x 10 card) - $450
Motherboard – Nvidea Nforce 680i - $250
Hardrive – 320GB Hardrive - $76
Memory – 2GB Corsair - $292
Sound Card - Creative sound blaster extreme music - $92.99
DVD burner - $30
OS – Windows xp media center with free upgrade to vista home premium in January - $110

That comes to $2170, you can then buy a nice widescreen monitor, new keyboard and mouse etc if you want too.

Or if you want an even better PC change the graphics card to a top of the range 8800GTX which will add about $200 more and add another $100 to get a sexy case. I hear very good things about the new version of office for windows vista too, so maybe you will want that. I hear it’s the first time buying a new version of office is actually worth it.

You will certainly end up with something close to a dream pc for $2500

Don't buy based on my spec though that was just a quick idea of what I'd buy with $2.5k, if you decided you wanted to buy now let us know and we can make a better and more careful job of it with links and decideing on the best brands etc.

Almost forgot [insert British whine here about how much more PC you get for your money than we do]

Last edited by Fleeting; 11/29/06 01:28 AM.
Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
That optimus keyboard that never seems to come out :O

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
My brother just bought the new Dell 30 inch LCD. Its totally cool.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Senator
Deceased
KGB Senator
Deceased
Quote:

My brother just bought the new Dell 30 inch LCD. Its totally cool.

Very nice, it's about $1500 though isn't it? and even more expensive here in the UK.

You need a bleeding edge pc to take full advantage too probably SLI as it has a very high native resolution.

Still bet it looks fantastic.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
If the system you have is working well now with the games that you play, then hold on for a bit. If not, get system now (and don't spend a ton on the Gfx card) but when building it plan for getting a new Gfx card next year. Oh, and make sure that the power supply you purchase will be adequate for the "next year" solution.

Owain and Paveway actually "NEEDED" a new system (hell they needed one last year)! But the systems that I put together for them specifically were tuned for them buying a new Gfx card next year when the Dx10 stuff comes down a bit.

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard