KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 55 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Winter
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,031,364 Trump card
1,340,908 Picture Thread
478,856 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sini #112039 12/30/12 10:43 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: sini
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
you borrowed in monopoly money that you can print in your garage.
The fact that you don't see this as a problem is an indicator of just how little you understand about history...

non sequitur
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH You really are a boob aren't you? Next time you retreat to Latin to try and make yourself sound intelligent you might want to look up the words before you use them.

Now, be a good little boy and go look up the financial woes of Zimbabwe and the Wiemar republic. There are several more examples of what happens when governments print money willy nilly, but these two should get you started.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Kaotic #112056 12/30/12 04:15 PM
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Paying down the debt is pretty much the most uncontroversial position in the nation. The real questions are:

1) Who bears the burden (middle class, upper class, seniors, etc)

2) When you do it. Traditional economics say you pay when times are good, go into debt during the bad times. Pretty much the opposite of what we've been doing the last several years.

3) Aggressiveness. Do you risk a recession during shaky economic times when we are in no danger of defaulting? Or take things easy?

Answer these, then we can't get into the nastiness of specific policy.

Wolfgang #112080 12/31/12 09:17 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
"the most uncontroversial position in the nation"

Depends on whom is viewing it.

From the non-elected side of things, absolutely. This is just common sense to us.

From the governments point of view ? Limiting their spending is ludicrous and treasonous ! Does the government even bother with a budget anymore ?

Kaotic #112111 01/01/13 08:02 PM
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
The fact that you don't see this as a problem is an indicator of just how little you understand about history...

non sequitur
AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH You really are a boob aren't you? Next time you retreat to Latin to try and make yourself sound intelligent you might want to look up the words before you use them.

Now, be a good little boy and go look up the financial woes of Zimbabwe and the Wiemar republic. There are several more examples of what happens when governments print money willy nilly, but these two should get you started.

Raging against education again? I don't understand why would Conservatism position itself as anti-intellectual, but it does not suits you.

As to translation and explanation (because Google is too hard for Kaotic) - your attack does not follow. We are discussing differences between government and household budgets, and you went on raving rant about fiat currency. These are entirely different arguments - as such does not follow is appropriate response.

[Linked Image]
TurkeyJ #112112 01/01/13 08:07 PM
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: TurkeyJ
Paying down the debt is pretty much the most uncontroversial position in the nation. The real questions are:

1) Who bears the burden (middle class, upper class, seniors, etc)

2) When you do it. Traditional economics say you pay when times are good, go into debt during the bad times. Pretty much the opposite of what we've been doing the last several years.

3) Aggressiveness. Do you risk a recession during shaky economic times when we are in no danger of defaulting? Or take things easy?

Answer these, then we can't get into the nastiness of specific policy.

Spending cuts would be #4. Current spending level is undeniably too high for the level of tax revenue collected. We all like everything, all the time, at the same time - most practical solution is to cut what possible, and make up the rest with tax increases. Unfortunately meaningful cuts (e.g. defense) are political non-starter and most harmful cuts (e.g. social safety nets) are politically fetishized.

As to answers - nobody going to sign up constituents (and re-election prospects) for #1; and unfortunately #2 and #3 are used as a weapon to manipulate #1.

Last edited by sini; 01/01/13 08:10 PM.

[Linked Image]
Sini #112117 01/01/13 10:23 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council

Here, I'll post it again for you since you have such trouble reading.

You're the one who brought up monopoly money (i.e. fiat currency). So, if you want to wave your arms in the air and declare someone has responded with an illogical argument, then you're pointing at yourself. I merely responded what you said and pointed out that you can't see why that is a problem. I'm seriously thinking about getting you a copy of Rosetta Stone English so you can work all this out for yourself.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Kaotic #112122 01/02/13 06:48 AM
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council

Here, I'll post it again for you since you have such trouble reading.

You're the one who brought up monopoly money (i.e. fiat currency). So, if you want to wave your arms in the air and declare someone has responded with an illogical argument, then you're pointing at yourself. I merely responded what you said and pointed out that you can't see why that is a problem. I'm seriously thinking about getting you a copy of Rosetta Stone English so you can work all this out for yourself.

I brought up fiat currency as an example of household vs. government budget differences, you latched on this comparison and started ranting about fiat currency, plus misrepresented my comparison as an evidence of support.

Your argument really has nothing to do with what was discussed in this topic. As such you ether a) did not understand what is being discussed here b) intentionally decided to derail discussion into confrontation. In ether case - non sequitur.

[Linked Image]
Wolfgang #112123 01/02/13 06:58 AM
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Fiscal Cliff Deal

Quote:
The House voted 257-167 to send the the bill brokered by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell and Vice President Joe Biden that overwhelmingly passed the Senate in the early hours of New Year's Day to President Barack Obama. Despite conservative opposition, including 'no' votes from House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy and 149 other Republicans, the measure easily cleared the House with the support of House Speaker John Boehner and the overwhelming majority of House Democrats.

I am personally disappointed with this outcome. I have seen Fiscal Cliff as the only way to meaningfully trim defense spending. Now it will unlikely to happen and I don't have to explain how we cannot afford to spend so much on defense.

Next - Debt limit increase negotiations and very likely default and another downgrade. This might (should, if markets were rational) increase cost of debt and would make reaching balanced budget much harder (more money spent just paying interest).

rant/ At the same time, I won't be shorting US bonds. In my mind we are clearly into Japan-like illogical financial twilight zone. Just another example where market fails to rationally respond to the situation. Tulips all the way down. /rant

Last edited by sini; 01/02/13 07:08 AM.

[Linked Image]
Wolfgang #112131 01/02/13 08:17 AM
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

I dont think anyone is particularly happy about how it turned out. Some of us saw it coming though.

There is rarely incentive to stop freely spending other peoples' money.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Wolfgang #112143 01/02/13 02:24 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
The only shot we have at spending decreases will be with the Debt Ceiling bill.

Since they didn't get it in the Fiscal Cliff bill, I will be willing to bet the debt ceiling will go NOWHERE without language that seriously cuts spending.

They cannot possibly argue raising the ceiling without also introducing some serious cuts. Otherwise, why have a debt ceiling at all ?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard