KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 71 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,356
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,035,847 Trump card
1,342,423 Picture Thread
480,663 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Webster: Delusion

Quote:
a : something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated

"Just because they believe something that probably isn't true does not make them delusional."

Way I understand Webster definition of delusion, yes it does. Plus you are arguing semantics here, would it work better for you if I called them simply 'Wrong'? If you read my numerous posts on this subject, you will find that I did specify exactly what I meant.

Here is what I said:

Originally Posted By: Sini
In this case delusional is a rhetorical device. When I say: “Delusional knuckle-draggers emerged from the stygian depths of right-wing fever swamps to beget yet another tinfoil conspiracy” I ‘formally’ mean: “You have started with a false premise when you claim elections were stolen.”

"I could just as easily call you delusional for believing beyond any doubt that the election was not stolen."

You can't - first I never stated "believing beyond any doubt", if you present irrefutable evidence I will change my mind. Second, and more important distinction, is that I do not hold unjustified belief.

Here is direct quote stating my justification for my opinion:
Originally Posted By: Sini
I have sufficient evidence: A) The Federal Election Commission endorsed tally of United States Electoral College is in, and it is 332 Obama to 206 Romney. These are official results; they are not disputed, are not in process of counting/recounting, are not being challenged in courts. B) Romney, an official GOP leader and the GOP presidential campaign nominee, conceded and acknowledged Democratic victory.

"No I don't think we're discussing the first argument there, that simply makes no sense. It's based on a faulty premise for which there is no evidence, and the conclusion does not follow from the two premises"

Plus it is an invalid argument, so we don't even need to demonstrate that premises are fallacious. This is why I keep asking, and yet to get an answer that I can understand, but this is how I see Derid's position.

Derid position is one of the following:

a. He does not contradict my original position.

or

b. He has an invalid argument with a false premises.

I don't see "c." - do you?

Originally Posted By: Brutal
In your argument, P2 again uses the argument from silence. Lack of evidence for is not evidence against. Your conclusion then in this case is based on a faulty premise. This argument could be made in the same way, but would also be wrong:

(P) Some people believe the election was stolen
(P) There is evidence of the ability to commit voter fraud
-----------------------------
(C) The election was stolen

The overriding point here is not that you are wrong, but that you can't be right in this argument. You will (reasonable assumption here) never be able to prove that the election was stolen or not stolen. We can go on like this forever, because this argument is pointless and not winnable.

My argument is:

(P1) Some people believe the elections was stolen
(P2) There is no evidence of fraud
----------
(C) There people are delusional

It is valid.
P1 false P2 true results in C false
P1 true P2 false results in C false
P1 false P2 false results in C false
It is sound.

P1 true - as per article I linked
P2 is true, you are technically correct that by itself it can be considered an argument from silence, but supressed premise here "that they presented". At no point in this discussion any evidence of voter fraud was presented. Additionally, as I disucessed with Derid, such fraud must be very substantial (5 states!) in order to have an effect.

In light of your comments:

(P2) There is no evidence of substantial fraud that they preseted
----------
(C) There people are delusional

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Sinij wrote: "My argument is:

(P2) There is no evidence of fraud
----------
(C) There people are delusional "

- There is considerable body of evidence that fraud is possible to pull off. Enough to induce a plausible doubt in the validity of the result.

Sinij wrote: "Additionally, as I disucessed with Derid, such fraud must be very substantial (5 states!) in order to have an effect."

- One voting machine, 1000 voting machines, one tallying server 5 tallying servers - if the same vulnerabilities are present combined with the same lack of security protocol - what difference would it make?

Analogy: The Oracle JVM currently has a large security flaw. If you have a tool to exploit that flaw, is using that tool on 5 different machines that have a JVM installed particularly more difficult than using it on one? The inverse is actually true, when talking about systems security (and by this I include any process not just software systems) security is actually asymmetric. Given a widespread vulnerability, it actually becomes more difficult for the defender because the resources that must be expended by the defender to detect and/or intercept an attack attempt are vastly higher than the resources that must be spend by an attacker to make an attempt.

The 300k number was the smallest known spread with readily available numbers, and reflected just one hypothetical scenario. In reality the vulnerable surface area was much, much larger.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Derid, do you know if these flaws can be exploited remotely? From what I read they require local access, as such your comparison does not hold.

Additionally, do you know if they all use the same system? I was under impression that there are multiple types of machines, am I wrong?

Last but not least, I was under impression that there are still some places that do hand-counting and/or require paper trail. Is this not the case?

As applicable to "close call" sites, any of them would fall into above-mentioned categories?

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Also, would you consider that possibility is not sufficient?

It is possible for me to win a lottery, but if I claim I have a winning lottery ticket before the results are announced, you can call me delusional. Would you agree?

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Originally Posted By: sini
Derid, do you know if these flaws can be exploited remotely? From what I read they require local access, as such your comparison does not hold.

Additionally, do you know if they all use the same system? I was under impression that there are multiple types of machines, am I wrong?

Last but not least, I was under impression that there are still some places that do hand-counting and/or require paper trail. Is this not the case?

As applicable to "close call" sites, any of them would fall into above-mentioned categories?

There are many different systems, I am familiar with some of them in Ohio. The fact that there are many different systems actually adds to the security concerns, as opposed to detracting from them. A prospective attacker has years to devise tools and methods of attack while the defenders have X more scenarios and vulnerabilities to look out for during an extremely small window of time when 1000 things are occurring simultaneously.

In Ohio I can state with confidence that electronic voting is the norm, and security protocol is lax.

Not all flaws require someone to be on location. The centralized vote tallying servers can also be attacked. As can the path between the voting machines and the server. There was actual a considerable body of circumstantial evidence that this occurred in Ohio in 2004. Circumstantial evidence is not proof, but it can certainly raise valid concerns about the process.

It is worth noting that some areas, including Ohio have tighter regulation on how results are officially reported than in 2004 - including not allowing official results to be transmitted over the internet. But that does not mean there not still many issues.

Some long but worthwhile reading here:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/art-levine/mia-in-voting-machine-war_b_2054411.html

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
From your Webster's link, I think this definition should be noted as well:

Originally Posted By: Webster's
b : a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary

Emphasis added by me. Again, there is no indisputable evidence to contradict their belief that the election was stolen. Let me restate my position here: I agree with you that the election was probably a legitimate win for Obama, but I cannot concede the possibility that it wasn't, nor do I agree with your broad labeling of those who disagree with your view as delusional (but they probably are).

The only true way to test if they are delusional would be to present them with some indisputable evidence that the result was legit and see how they respond.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: sini

The voting machines that I've been able to briefly 'take a look at' were all "offline models", which reported to a central computer(s)/system(s) in the voting location. It's the state of that central computer(s)/system(s) which would probably be the largest concern in terms of 'remote worries'. The last such system that I was allowed to glance at (on the 2008 election voting day) definitely had an Ethernet connection going out to a wall-jack at the location.

Last I heard there were ~15 different manufacturer's being utilized around the globe...not certain how many total utilized in the U.S.

- Wildcard / Tiernan
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
foil

Gentlemen please! I manage the teams that support the systems that develop the IBM IMS database that is the engine behind the entire ATM banking system worldwide. If you wanted to exploit something, then why waste time on elections. Go after IMS and get instantly rich.

The track record here is impeccable, so try another theory.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Because the voting machines are easier, with less security, less ways to catch a crook ( you dont have to launder stolen votes) and actually more money to be stolen than any ATM.

After all, Bernanke is basically stealing $45B from all of us and handing it directly to plutocrats and banksters each month. Thats pretty strong incentive to rig the system - and just 1 out of 10000 different incentives. ( From military contracts to homeland security contracts... and beyond. )

Sorry Jet, just because your preconceptions do not agree with the possibility - you cannot just dismiss it out of hand.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I actually agree with Derid that it would be by far easier to compromise voting machines because there isn't a standard or dedicated secure network reserved just for voting like with banking. PCI is one case where self-regulation works, well as far as security of banking transactions, hacking is extremely rare.

With that said, it doesn't mean that elections are ever hacked or banking is never hacked.

[Linked Image]
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard