KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 50 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,029,881 Trump card
1,340,077 Picture Thread
478,435 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
So, what constitutes a child Sini?

Good question. Better question is what makes human sentient.

While I can't answer your question directly, I can tell you what does not constitutes a child - a blob of cells with no central nervous system and no capacity for sentience.

Last edited by sini; 11/05/12 02:57 PM.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Well, the best answer I have is that anything that is most likely to become a child, counts. So, an egg by itself doesn't count. Likewise for sperm. A fertilized egg is more likely to become a child than it is to become a toaster oven, so that's where I tend to draw the line. However, I recognize that many fertilized eggs do not develop and that is why my personal stance on the issue is to limit abortions to the first few weeks.

Originally Posted By: sini
Better question is what makes human sentient.
No, if I have to explain to you why a human life is more important than an amoeba or a cat or a bear, then there is no point having this discussion. Here's a hint, it doesn't have anything to do with why or how we are sentient. Rather, it is that we are or have the capacity to be.

While I can't answer your question directly, I can tell you what does not constitutes a child - a blob of cells with no central nervous system and no capacity for sentience.
Don't you think this is a question you should be able to give some semblance of an answer to if you're going to have an opinion? Personally, I like to educate myself a bit before I form an opinion of any given subject. Perhaps that's a fundamental difference between us.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I know enough to understand limit of my knowledge and not go with an arbitrary answer.

Judging potential to become something is not a good way to create a forward-looking test. It is easy to look back and say, yes this was X and realized its potential to become Y because you don't have to consider many X that did not become Y.

Look at it this way, you don't look at a bag of flow and call it potential cake. It is flower, it has potential to become cake.

You tell me to educate myself, yet you have no clear understanding what human life is. Surely you can see a difference between a human and a bunch of tissue that has a potential to become one.

Here is question for you. A person gets into car accident and suffers irreversible and complete brain damage. Ventilator is used to sustain life. If I turn ventilator off, do I kill a human? Do I kill a sentient being? Can you be a human and not sentient?

[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
wow. if i didnt always post from my stupid phone, i would love to do some cutting and pasting from this thread and the one regarding the big bang we had a few months ago. theres some cognitive dissonance going on around here!

KGB Darkfall
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
So, what constitutes a child Sini?

Good question. Better question is what makes human sentient.

so where were you going with this when you injected abortion into this debate? didnt think it thru, mayhap?
painted yourself into an intellectual corner, perchance?

allow me to throw in another topic: do the right to die-ers and abortionists among us believe in human organ sales? can i sell my aborted fetus?

KGB Darkfall
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Look at it this way, you don't look at a bag of flow and call it potential cake. It is flower, it has potential to become cake.

You tell me to educate myself, yet you have no clear understanding what human life is. Surely you can see a difference between a human and a bunch of tissue that has a potential to become one.
Epic fail. I addressed your rebuttal before you even made it, and you still made the rebuttal that I knew you would. I really don't think you even read my posts.

Let's use your cake analogy though. Take some flour (sperm), on its own, as I stated, not going to become a cake. Take some eggs and milk (egg), again, as I said, not going to become a cake. Mix them together and put them in an oven (womb), and the chances of them becoming a cake just shot through the roof.

A cat can have kittens in a oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Cheerio

so where were you going with this when you injected abortion into this debate?

Both are issues of control over your body. Stop pissing on my grave and read the thread.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Epic fail. I addressed your rebuttal before you even made it.

No you didn't. You alluded to human life, minus sentience, being somehow exceptional. It isn't, unless you bring in metaphysical soul, but at that point logical argument is over. Hence I started questioning you with a hypothetical brain death example that you have avoided.

Just come out already and say that you believe that fertilized egg is precious because it has soul and stop beating around the bush.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Epic fail. I addressed your rebuttal before you even made it, and you still made the rebuttal that I knew you would. I really don't think you even read my posts.

Let's use your cake analogy though. Take some flour (sperm), on its own, as I stated, not going to become a cake. Take some eggs and milk (egg), again, as I said, not going to become a cake. Mix them together and put them in an oven (womb), and the chances of them becoming a cake just shot through the roof.

A cat can have kittens in a oven, but that don't make 'em biscuits.

I think the pertinent question , is if it is not *yet a human - why should the woman be obligated by law to keep the oven on? That oven costs resources to operate, and she might not be ready to eat cake yet. In fact if the flour did become a cake, it might be an almost certainty that the cake would simply spoil and go bad, because the baker wasnt prepared for it to be baked.

But if its not a cake yet, your not wasting cake by turning the oven off. Just the batter. Or, maybe you screwed up the mix and the batter is no good.

Either way, it might be better for the bakers, and the eventual cake to be baked at another time.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
No you didn't. You alluded to human life, minus sentience, being somehow exceptional. It isn't, unless you bring in metaphysical soul, but at that point logical argument is over. Hence I started questioning you with a hypothetical brain death example that you have avoided.
Are you delusional or did you really only read the first part of my post?

Amazing.
Here is question for you. A person gets into car accident and suffers irreversible and complete brain damage. Ventilator is used to sustain life. If I turn ventilator off, do I kill a human? Do I kill a sentient being? Can you be a human and not sentient?
Yes, you're killing a human. No, it has nothing to do with a "soul." It doesn't matter whether or not you're still aware. The reason is, that from here to "reason to kill anyone we want" is a pretty short step.

Derid,
I figured my "first few weeks" caveat would cover that.

My problem with abortion is two fold. One, the father has no say. Two, at some point (I said a few weeks in) the "random mass of tissue" is far enough along that it is, by any reasonable measure, a human and therefore its life is sacrosanct.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard