My military knowledge, which is somewhat limited as time has passed and current technologies have become legacy technology, is of the armor types Sloped, Composite, Caged, and Reactive all have different properties, yet in limited ways can serve multiple purposes.

Sloped can deflect projectiles in most cases and is a primary measure for older armors, however with todays technologies it is not enough, Chobham is a excellent example of a composite and is currently the standard for most armored vehicles. From what I know, composites generally are used to disperse kinetic energies, while reactive armor types produce a explosive response to a incoming shape charge which prevents penetration, but are not very well suited for kinetic rounds, or high velocity impactors such as a depleted unranium/tungstun darts most commonly used in sabot rounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_armour

The military is currently interested not in traditional armor types but in reactive stealth, such as light dispersal to effectively create a invisibility field, like that of "Predator", I know they have been looking at nano tech, and light weight super desity materials, projects aimed at producing armors that can reconstruct or alter shape, some technologies that can mask a targets heat, profile, eletromegnetic signature, radar signature/cross section as per stealth as we know it today. Ceramics, Microtechnology, Particle physics, material science and engineering are areas I'd look into for clues about the future of armor, specifically anything having to do with generating energy fields in relation to specific materials.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]