Originally Posted By: Longshanks
Here are some tips:

1.) send letters, not just phone calls, to the management company & keep a copy. If you must call them, keep detailed records of when you called & with whom you spoke to .. also notes on what was discussed & and promises they made. I would also follow up a phone call with a letter ... Always start out with something like: I am writing in follow up with a phone conversation on MM/DD/YYY with PersonYouSpokeTo. Elaborate on what was discussed.

2.) Call you local Housing Authority,, this agency is the first stop ... as Valaria stated, you could call the health dept if the conditions are that bad .. but I would start with the housing authority.

3.) Take photos with date\time stamps ... add them to your collection of letters & phone notes.

4.) Read your lease, if you have one ... there may be a stipulation the tenant is responsible for extermination fees ... or it may say that the management company is ... or it may say nothing at all ... you have to check it.

5.) You can call Legal Aid, it is free & sometimes can give you some direction ... the number should be in the blue pages of your phone book.

A good renter's practice is to take photos of the conditions of a rent just before you move in ... taking special note of any damage, stains, etc ... this can be used to neutralize the "cleaning fee" they will suck out of you.

Then there were those times I had to vacate in the dark of night too ... ah, youth!

^This

Plus a lot depends on your States Revised Statutes on renters policies and damage type limitations.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!