One of the classes I'm taking this spring is called Interactive Game Design. Right now I'm working on an individual research project and I'd like to ask for your help.

My project is to develop a list of best practices for developers and publishers of MMO to create a strong player community. In this case, by community I mean a player base or fan base that external to the game rather than specifically confined to within a game world or server. I see that community management for marketing and customer relations from the time that a game is still in development, through testing, and over the course of it's live lifespan.

Since I know everyone here has experience playing MMOs I thought I'd ask for your thoughts on this subject. While I'm aiming to get the perspective of the game developer as well (since I'm focusing on what they can or cannot do in order to create a strong player community), but I think the player perspective is equally important.

So my questions are:

1) What games would you suggest that I look at for specific case studies in community management? (I'm hoping to contact specific people for interviews or feedback what their company/game does well in this are.)

2) What are some good practice that you've seen companies do in the games you've played?

3) What are some bad practices that you've encountered?

4) Are there issue that are important to the online player communities that are not being addresses by companies or community managers?

(Note: I'm interested more in practice that affect groups of player rather than those that impact just one individual (macro vs. micro).)

Thanks in advance guys (and gals)!

Val

When your King calls you to action, will you hear the call?