So, the Z word again, is it?

I have heard that so many times, and I've explained the situation in more forums than I can count.

It boils down to a difference in philosophy. With a lot of gamers, it's all me, Me, ME. "I'M the one with the mad 'l33t skilz, so duel me, biatch, and get pwned!" Or so they say until a KGB squad rolls through, dry loots him, and kills his horse as payment for past crimes. So they sputter about how 'unfair' it is.

It's just combat. Nothing fancy, nothing to brag about, and it isn't a spectator sport. In UO, it was a job that needed to be done, killin' pk rat bastards that desperately needed killin', and there wasn't time to waste on anything fancy, because there was always another bunch of reds around the next corner, and they needed killin', too.

I think our tactics evolved the way they did because we did have a bunch of current and former military, so small unit tactics developed early and easily, and we found it to be the most efficient way dispatch our enemies. This is not to say that we didn't have some deadly players. Binbs, among other, was one of the most deadly solo players I've ever seen, and in a group, he was a force of nature - unstoppable. Many of our Champions were the same.

But if you don't have an automatic killin' machine with you, a good solid KGB squad was almost as good. The bad guys hated us because we were good at our job, and more often than not, we came out on top, and even if we didn't, we just kept coming back and eventually wore the opposition down, if nothing else.

Why does the KGB continue? For the same reason that most combat veterans will tell you why they fight. When you're in the shit, it's not politics, ideology, nationalism, patriotism, or any of that. You fight because of the guy next to you, and you'd rather die than let that guy down.

That is why the KGB will always continue.


To the everlasting glory of the infantry...

Owain ab Arawn
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council