My wife and I are back to playing Guild Wars 2. After only three weeks I can tell our interest has faded again. I don't know why because the game looks and plays even better than before.

But.....

Every few years I get an itch to play the original Everquest. That game can still suck me in to the point that I am playing like a 15 year old again. It still has a thriving community even after all of these years.

The older MMORPGs really figured out the risk/reward ratio. I can't find new MMOs that will make me really calculate whether it is worth going into that dungeon or not. In Everquest you literally might be worse off by the end of the day then when you logged in that morning. There is no promise of progress just because you are online.

In Guild Wars 2 you can log in and just stand still for several hours and your exp bar will probably go up. It is just too easy to feel rewarded for doing anything.


I generally blame my age for not wanting to invest in new MMORPGs but that doesn't seem to be it.