KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 50 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,029,881 Trump card
1,340,077 Picture Thread
478,435 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
Question here, since i've never done it personally myself - or am lazy because of the half/conflicting information i've found.

A little background, I am switching to an archery/melee build recently because 1) I hate Magic even though I've leveled everything, that and my mana pool is low so once I kill a single person, i'm useless. and 2) I'm a huge FPS nerd so I have good aim and it's a waste on fireball-newb-of-death.

That being said, there are some suggetions on the DFO forums that leave me perplexed.

A lot of people switching to destroyer are doing Full-Plate w/ Feather + Bone to lower archery encumbrance, however I'm wondering why the hell everyone goes full-plate + bone- especially when sometimes they waste their enchants on dropped full plate? They must be getting only 13 to 15 elemental resists? Is that worth it?

To my understanding, you need 5 of each enchanting component and 1 catalyst for enchants right?

For a cost saver version, couldn't you just run Q1/2 Feather enchants on all your pieces of armor + rings/neck and get 0 Archery Encumbrance with a scale/plate mix?

I mean we have Oaklords which drop quartz and the catalyst, guards and naelids which drop the cinder and Q1 bone you can buy (or just do oathbounds sw of Kivit). So it's easy to get the mats for Q1/Q2 feather enchants.

Last time I checked, Q1 feather removes ~4 points of encumbrance right? So What? 10 slots 3neck.ring 5armor pieces = 100 of each reagent + catalyst = removes 40 encumbrance? Or whatever the hell slots we have on armor (I forget how many)

That's the same thing right? Not the most cost effective set int he world, but since we don't have a Q4/Q5 enchanter on prime time and/or I'm not made of money - it kind of makes sense. Plus, my reasoning goes, if all goes well and my aim stays true, I can switch to indestructable which gives me 20 + 7 = 27 resists on all elemental schools - which to a person with 25 or less elemental intensity, means they are doing 10-15 damage per fireball. Or I can just stay destroyer for the threat of close damage / actually rape people. (I'm only average on a good day at melee)

This is getting longwinded but bear with me here.

Any comments? I need confirmation on the enchanting shit cause I have no idea what i'm talking about, and I've never really enchanted shit so I don't know where to go from here. Hell, i'm thinking of picking up enchanting and doing Q1 and Q2s.

A little help please.

Thanks.

-Syloc

Former KGB Member
KGB Knight Inactive
KGB Knight Inactive
From personal experience when I went destroyer, now given this was fighting tox my archery versus his magic (mage killer and rank 60 bow (back when we were ND).

First go I went lightly armored to keep my archery encumbrance down....got destroyed.

Second round I went full plate, tox is no chump but he was below 1/3.

Third round critter or someone put the archery haste on me, he still won but by I would say my next hit MABEY two and I would have come out on top in pure magic versus archery against someone of higher skill than myself.

The encumbrance did lower my dmg a good 8ish pts per shot but I did not have feather enchant, however the dmg from magic migitated by my full plate in my opinion FAR exceeded the extra damage from my bow.

And i actually won against quite a few other casters, like i said Tox is a skilled player (above me) and would put spells in front of me versus on me that often hindered my vision.

I actually enjoyed it but after a siege or two I realised I could help more dropping my large aoes, that and I am not rich enough to pack more than mob dropped full plate grin

Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
Well someone did a damage test with a keened silverbranch with a high dex and max archery versus a keened magnified corpsecaller with +75 Fire intensity; and the damage per fireball is like 8 points more than the keened silverbranch, from that vid. (DFO forums)

I dunno, sure in sieges you help with the large AOEs - but it doesn't help that much ... just because the fact that I drain mana too fast.

I've had a lot of sucess with archery in the past going full bone/scale - so never tried it with plate on.

See if you could mitigate most of the magic damage from heavy AND no encumbrance, it's deadly. Of course in sieges you wouldn't be as effective because of the lag involved (it's easier to spam nukes in a lagfest) but I've gotten more kills with the bow than blast, because with cycling R50 nukes, it's like painting a huge target on your back because it's obvious who u are firing at.

Duels are fine and it's a good indication of skill - however they mean nothing in the group dynamic tbh - especially since an actively dodging heavy plate rushing toward you (if he knows what he's doing) should be able to dodge even the best shot.

I'm thinking that no one goes high dex, so if we hit 90-100 dex longterm; that's adding 9 to 10 damage PER hit. That's beefy. So instead of doing 30s you'd be doing 40s. With rapid shot, that's sick.

Last edited by Syloc; 04/22/10 07:25 PM.

Former KGB Member
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Unless they changed something those enchants won't stack. You'll only get the benefit of the biggest one.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
Ok, that makes sense why people only get the helm one then.

Former KGB Member
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
Yup, they don't stack. Else you would see mage wearing Q4 everything dragon / infernal. Bone chest is 29 less encumbrance than FP chest. So if you care about your bow damage, better forget about this chest-piece.

Now, we can check what's the exact damage difference between infernal + fp and infernal + fp with bone chest to check if it's worth losing 3 points resist in elemental and 2.5 in melee and the possibility to get some bloodcrafted FP chest.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Former Member
Former Member
Ah my young patawan!,

To make the best of the role they say to use FP or better everything(bone chest for more of an archery build) the best Qlvl you can afford for enchants on all your pieces(VIT,HP,slashing,piercing, fire, lighning, and feather.
keened cobra staff with eldiritch or whatever(maybe haste)
R50 bow and mellee at a minimal

Also indestructable and mage killer are the way to go imo

now this is like saying for a mage/hybrid to wear scale boots/gloves, FP+ helm and the rest bone with various enchants and R50+ weapons and tons of regs to make thier "build" work its best, but you can certainly kill someone in a robe with 20 of each reg. It just depends on the situation.

Someone that in a robe would be more useful fully geared and the same would be for a heavy armor tank... they would be more useful fully geared.

On a side note lets say I put on some heavy gear and only used melee, bow, and the schools available to a...

destroyer- the ONLY difference)correct me if I am wrong!) between us would be your extra damage when I have staff out and 10HP.

indestructable- the ONLY difference)correct me if I am wrong!) between us would be your extra elemental protections( which I wouldn't be using so absolutly useless and 10HP.

Unless I am gravely mistaken the you don't have any advantage over me yet have locked yourself out of elemental schools where I can still unburdan and cast 4 buffs and cast FB anytime(though weaker and more of a chance to fissle.

not saying they are not useful against mages...just something to think about

Syloc Offline OP
Band 6
OP Offline
Band 6
Ahh what you're not thinking about is that I never talk about 1 v 1.

The plain fact is, Heavy Armors are a staple of EVERY good pvp group. That being said, I just switched back to mage because everyone switched to heavy armor, if everyone switches back to mage, i'll switch back to heavy armor.

The fact that I can take single digit damage with full fireballs to the face means I can effectively cut off a good mage from doing DPS, which means our dps can dish shit out. Even if our heavy armors are not killing, it's eliminating a whole person from dps for a significant amount of time.

that's the real role of heavy armors.

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Jesus H Christ..this shite makes my head hurt. Can someone please put into plain english for me what I need to have on to be worth a crap...

Archer/Melee, weak to almost no magic beyond minor heals...archery is all specced out..melee is high 80's skill, forget mastery but will check...

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard