KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 71 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,030,539 Trump card
1,340,290 Picture Thread
478,700 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#56201 01/02/10 03:33 PM
Krayton Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Yeah so i work in retail for a slow store where i never hit my quota.
Im already written up for not hitting my numbers, two more write ups and i am fired. (one write up a month)
Just figured i would network a bit with you guys and see if i could even relocate for a better job.
I am almost done getting my B.A. in Information Technology and i am willing to relocate just about anywhere in the nation as long as the salary is good.
Anyones job currently hiring? Ill fight tooth and nail for an entry level position and i will do a better job at it than anyone else you could recommend! wink

-Nick / Krayton

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
are u certified in anything?

[Linked Image from sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net]
Krayton Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
I am familiar with HTML, XML, Javascript, Flash, Adobe photoshop and all the goodies however i have no certifications.
I can study for a certification if i could get the time to take the test.
I would be more than willing to study for and pass the test for a cert if there is anything open.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
i'll ask a few of my friends for you a lot of them work in IT.

[Linked Image from sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net]
Krayton Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Many thanks, i will do whatever is needed.

S
Squared
Unregistered
Squared
Unregistered
S
If you can, get a certification. Alot of people say that they don't matter, but I have to disagree. It does two things.

1. It gets you in the door, which is the most important. Especially if you do not have any experience. The degree is great too, and that should do just as well to get you in the door. Number 2 below is the real reason I think people should get certified and why employers want them.

2. With all of this partnership stuff going on, employers get credit/points for having certified personnel. Microsoft Partnerships for example. That increases their status when promoting their business. My company doesn't always require certification to get hired, but you only have a month or two after hiring to start getting some.

So on to the certs. If you have the money and time, find a certification school. Techskills is one off the top of my head. They can be pricey though. $3000+. If you do not have the money, go to sites like PassGuarantee.com and get the certification package you are looking for. I think they are usually under $100 for most of the stuff. Go through the guides and live and breathe their test questions. They are usually word for word the same questions on the real exam. When you are ready, take the exam. They usually run between $100-$150 for the basic exams.

I haven't taken any exams in a few years, but I need to start looking at getting the latest versions of SQL and Dynamics myself.

And finally, Texas is a good place for IT. Houston, Dallas and Austin are great IT hubs. And Texas is doing really well during this economy.

Can I ask if you specialized in you IT degree? I recommend staying away from programming and getting into databases or Cisco. Programmers are a dime a dozen these days it seems.

And finally to help with the job search, it doesn't hurt to use an IT job placement company. They'll get you the interviews and after a few months on a job, you can go on permanently with a nice 15%-20% raise.

Krayton Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Thank you for the link, i will get started on some Certs. My degree is in I.T. with a web design focus.
I have knowledge in SQL database design so its not like i couldnt get a little deeper into it.
I am actually getting let go in less then three weeks now so the pressure sure is on! hah.
I wouldn't mind moving to Texas either, sounds pretty nice.

Thank you for all the advice!

Link Copied to Clipboard