KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 32 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Raist
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,020,686 Trump card
1,339,216 Picture Thread
478,047 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#54217 12/07/09 03:15 PM
S
Squared
Unregistered
Squared
Unregistered
S
Has anyone tried to use RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) for Darkfall or any other game before? I use RDP all the time, but I'm always using RDP to log into various servers at work without any graphic requirements. I've never really thought about how graphics work via RDP.

If I could RDP into my system at home from my work laptop, I could be playing/macroing skills from around the continent. I could be fishing from work. I could be self healing in the clan keep while visiting the inlaws. I could be mining while 'watching' a chic flick with my wife. The possibilities are endless. If it works that is. Has anyone else done it?

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
yes and yes

not great for actual gameplay, but works well for starting up and monitoring a macro or something

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
S
Squared
Unregistered
Squared
Unregistered
S
great. now i just have to download the professional edition. I better get busy. I have two weeks until the inlaws.

Kay Offline
KGB Alumni
KGB Alumni
It -barely- works

In Hoc Signo Vinces
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
does this need any software installed on to the work PC?
My company have locked us out of most function including changing my desktop and streaming video

S
Squared
Unregistered
Squared
Unregistered
S
Microsoft has RDP on their professional and ultimate versions of Windows. I'm going to have to upgrade my home computer in order to be able to this. If you have Vista at work, click on Start and then type in Remote Desktop on Windows. That will at least tell you if you have it. You still might not be able to use it though as you have to deal with User Rights and Firewalls. It's something to check out though.
I knew a guy at the last company I worked at who used RDP to hook into his computer at home in order to listen to his music. Since I wasn't in charge of the network, just databases, I didn't feel the need to rat him out. He also bought me beer on Fridays, so maybe he was paying me off indirectly for my silence.

S
Squared
Unregistered
Squared
Unregistered
S
the great idea didn't quite work. i was able to remote into my computer running my darkfall with the macros. the problem was that darkfall was just a black screen and i couldn't see what was going on. i could alt tab to other apps and it worked just fine. i just couldn't see darkfall.
oh well

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Vista you have to be joking the is a multi billion pound company we are still on xp

how do i check for it on xp?

Last edited by Instrument; 12/10/09 02:54 AM.
S
Squared
Unregistered
Squared
Unregistered
S
I'll check it out when I get to work. I still have a XP machine that I do experiments on.

S
Squared
Unregistered
Squared
Unregistered
S
On the XP, go to Start, All Programs, and Accessories. There you will see Remote Desktop Connection.

You will need to make sure you have RDP setup on the computer you want to remote into (the host).
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/turn-on-remote-desktop-in-windows-vista/

If you are using a router, you will have to make changes on that as well.
http://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/configure-router-for-remote-desktop/

You will need to know your IP. Go here and it will tell you, plus how to find out what it is if you are using a router.
http://www.whatismyip.com/

I'm still working on my setup. I will try and start DF in a lower resolution and maybe that will work. I also screwed up last night and RDP from my own domain, so I do not have the correct setting while doing it from outside of my house.

Link Copied to Clipboard