KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 25 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Bandit, hydr
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,032,671 Trump card
1,341,933 Picture Thread
479,472 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#49826 06/30/09 04:01 PM
Kay Offline OP
KGB Alumni
OP Offline
KGB Alumni
I'm currently renting an apartment that has been nothing short of a nightmare. If it rains it leaks in and molds my carpet, the air conditioning took 3 weeks to get replaced, and there are roaches that belong on Animal Planet that regularly crawl around.

Not to mention with my previous apartment they charged me a $100 "cleaning fee" when I moved out when the apartment was meticulous. It was a complete scam.

I'd like to hire an attorney but I don't know what type of practice to begin looking for. Also, take a look at the BBB for this piece of shit company:

http://www.bbb.org/central-illinois/busi...rmal-il-9001469

I'm pretty sure that would help my case big time.

Any advice? I'm locked into a contract that doesnt expire till May of next year, so I want fucking out.

In Hoc Signo Vinces
Kay #49829 06/30/09 06:06 PM
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
Oracle Admininstrator
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
Oracle Admininstrator
have you contacted the company about the problems at hand?

I would contact your local Health Dept. They may have a number for you to call about landlords that don't take care of the properties they own.

I could not live anyplace with roaches... I would sleep in my car first.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
[Linked Image]
Valaria #49830 06/30/09 06:46 PM
KGB (F3) Vice-Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F3) Vice-Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Here are some tips:

1.) send letters, not just phone calls, to the management company & keep a copy. If you must call them, keep detailed records of when you called & with whom you spoke to .. also notes on what was discussed & and promises they made. I would also follow up a phone call with a letter ... Always start out with something like: I am writing in follow up with a phone conversation on MM/DD/YYY with PersonYouSpokeTo. Elaborate on what was discussed.

2.) Call you local Housing Authority,, this agency is the first stop ... as Valaria stated, you could call the health dept if the conditions are that bad .. but I would start with the housing authority.

3.) Take photos with date\time stamps ... add them to your collection of letters & phone notes.

4.) Read your lease, if you have one ... there may be a stipulation the tenant is responsible for extermination fees ... or it may say that the management company is ... or it may say nothing at all ... you have to check it.

5.) You can call Legal Aid, it is free & sometimes can give you some direction ... the number should be in the blue pages of your phone book.

A good renter's practice is to take photos of the conditions of a rent just before you move in ... taking special note of any damage, stains, etc ... this can be used to neutralize the "cleaning fee" they will suck out of you.

Then there were those times I had to vacate in the dark of night too ... ah, youth!

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Longshanks #49842 06/30/09 11:46 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight

UO SP: AurelianoBuendia
UO Pac: Magus, Running Fool
DF: Arjuna
Longshanks #49846 07/01/09 06:51 AM
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Originally Posted By: Longshanks
Here are some tips:

1.) send letters, not just phone calls, to the management company & keep a copy. If you must call them, keep detailed records of when you called & with whom you spoke to .. also notes on what was discussed & and promises they made. I would also follow up a phone call with a letter ... Always start out with something like: I am writing in follow up with a phone conversation on MM/DD/YYY with PersonYouSpokeTo. Elaborate on what was discussed.

2.) Call you local Housing Authority,, this agency is the first stop ... as Valaria stated, you could call the health dept if the conditions are that bad .. but I would start with the housing authority.

3.) Take photos with date\time stamps ... add them to your collection of letters & phone notes.

4.) Read your lease, if you have one ... there may be a stipulation the tenant is responsible for extermination fees ... or it may say that the management company is ... or it may say nothing at all ... you have to check it.

5.) You can call Legal Aid, it is free & sometimes can give you some direction ... the number should be in the blue pages of your phone book.

A good renter's practice is to take photos of the conditions of a rent just before you move in ... taking special note of any damage, stains, etc ... this can be used to neutralize the "cleaning fee" they will suck out of you.

Then there were those times I had to vacate in the dark of night too ... ah, youth!

^This

Plus a lot depends on your States Revised Statutes on renters policies and damage type limitations.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
Tasorin #49849 07/01/09 07:36 AM
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
There are landlord/tenant laws that all states have.

I had a nightmare apt in phoneix, az - when my ac went out and wasn't replaced "within a reasonable amount of time" Which the courts here in AZ consider to be 48 hours. I don't know what they would be in your State. I simply put my rent into an escrow account until it was fixed. As was my right as a tenant.

it took them 3 months (it never as fixed while i lived there)- and by then I was fed up and moved out. Yes they tried to sue me, but with the evidence i had on my side as well as them breaking the landlord/tenant acts, they lost. And paid me my security deposit back.

I would look up your STATES landlord/tenant laws/rights and go from there. And do everything Longshanks said laugh

Former KGB Member
Tasorin #49850 07/01/09 07:40 AM
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
That does suck, we moved in to a house for rent a few weeks back, a few days later we found brown recluse, which sucked cause I loved that house & we had to move back to this craphole town. A lawyer has been called & we might have to go to court.

Former KGB Member
Kay #49855 07/01/09 11:20 AM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
You may also want to consider City/County resources especially if they need licenses/permits to rent/do business in your area. If they do need licenses/permits to rent there may be restriction/obligations that you may use. For instance a complaint may cause an inspection (that may even cost the land owner a fee) and the regulators may be able to force the land owner into repairs/actions. A complaint even if anonymous, unfounded, or something you did may lead to an inspection. You don’t clean your apartment and the living conditions are filthy the inspector may make the landlord do it.

Where I live the city inspects apartments and the owner is required to make any changes the inspector orders based on codes (and the inspectors perspective of those codes/situation) and can be as minor as forcing them to put screens on a window that has never been, nor ever will be opened, to maintaining fire extinguisher with a current yearly inspection stamp. Failure to comply means they can not get a permit or their current one is revoked, no permit no renters.

Of course there is always fire. (Just kidding, I don’t want the families of your victims suing me).

But whatever you do I would also follow Longshanks advice.

Salohcin Dragon #49866 07/01/09 02:36 PM
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Originally Posted By: Salohcin Dragon
That does suck, we moved in to a house for rent a few weeks back, a few days later we found brown recluse, which sucked cause I loved that house & we had to move back to this craphole town. A lawyer has been called & we might have to go to court.

Info on that page about Brown Recluse was suspect in some areas. They are rampant in the Pacific North West, and they don't even show it as an area with them. In the PNW we have the Recluse, the Wolf, and the Black Widow. One of them is in 1 out of 5 homes or yards here.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
Tasorin #49868 07/01/09 02:53 PM
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
The only aggravating bug in Minnesota is the Mosquito, otherwise we will be safe from Brown Recluse, Black Widows, Killer Bees, Red Fire Ants, Japanese Hornets, and anything else that dislikes hard cold winters, even Cock Roaches are rare up here.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard