KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 71 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,356
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,035,847 Trump card
1,342,423 Picture Thread
480,663 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Vasdef Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Does KGB have a functional "Army" or Navy" in Darkfall?
I just want to know what kind or organizational blueprint the Guild has laid out for fighting.
I'm very big on combat and strategy. KGB is in a very goo locale geographically to create an effective base for a navy and the strike capabilities of a combined land/sea attack from it are very feasible.
I would be more than happy to put my ass on the line for this endeavor.
If anyone would like to seriously discuss organizing this with me I am open for conversation/debate and suggestions.

"DOLOR TUUS QUAESTUM MEUM EST"
Xao Offline
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Are/were you in the military? (Just curious)

I am all for learning military strategies and drilling them for use in actual combat.

(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
There are many factors here, first of all, the Navy. Ships vanish when the server crashes. This means too risky for anything other than a raft. Patches will address this.

Military rule is in place, and an elite force is on the drawing board.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Band 7
Band 7
Originally Posted By: JetStar

Military rule is in place, and an elite force is on the drawing board.

Drawn.

Will be posted in it's entirety tonight.

Former KGB Member
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Xao
Are/were you in the military? (Just curious)

I am all for learning military strategies and drilling them for use in actual combat.

A lot of military doctrine can be utilized *loosely* in Darkfall. However, due to the generic melee-fighting, figure-eight sprint attacks, presence of magic, etc; imposing the technicalities of formation or guerrilla combat on a minute, tactical level isn't a reality here or in any other MMO for that matter. I don't know about Vasdef (VAS DEFerens?), but I have plenty of military experience.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
There are a lot of ex-military here in KGB from what I've learned...myself included

So far I've found that general tactics are reduced down to differing values revolving around mobility, since stamina is a key statistic.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Vasdef Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Well, its seems i stirred up quite the nest of hornets with that question. Far better than i could have hoped as well.
Ex-Military? ... yes.

I am also an avid student of history. In particular: Military history and combat..Strategic-tactical.
there are plenty of instances where a military order of arms and combat formation would be very useful in this game. I can not say I have played it yet (sadly-still waiting in line to purchase), but I have played pretty much everything else.

As for magic?

Easily adapted...

Break it down into basic forms.
1. range/ballistic-just another guy w/ a bow and arrow, just different shape.

2. support-heals, buffs, etc.

3. melee/misc.- This is just people who have a little mixed in -not full blown glass cannons/casters/healers.

As far as ships go. I see your point.
That doesn't stop us from drilling for ship raiding though.
By this I mean a dedicated and precise methodology applied to a select grp or groups of fighters trained to do only one thing: steal an enemy ship. we can use to fight, transport troops or just destroy it, but we need planned detailed strategies for every contingent and a dedicated core of players that will follow orders and stick with plans.

In someome of my old guilds (particularly Shadowbane) there were often hundreds of members....how many would show up for fights? 10 maybe 20 on average. more if you were lucky.
When my friends and I broke off and formed our own guild there were never more than 40 of us in the WHOLE guild, but when we went out to fight these much larger guilds we ALL went. all 40 of us and we kicked their asses...We also worked out strategies for fighting against much larger numbers..Also ...we were fkng good at fighting.

My point is clear I hope.

Even with small numbers- select dedicated units - each designed for specific purposes can be used as playing pieces on both a skirmish based tactical level and on a larger scale.

Ranged unit.
Scout unit
Melee Unit
mounted unit
Support unit

command unit

reserves...

with the right timing/organization we can make use of all our resources with out losing our real world jobs or dropping out of school or getting divorced.

What ever your background or RL schedule..we work it into the plan.

Lastly- here's a little scenario as a taste.

Easiest/ oldest trick in the book.

ALWAYS keep a select group of about 10-20 guys patrolling the area between the combat zone and the spawn point of the enemy.

Why? Because if you kill the stragglers 10 of you vs 1-3 of them as they are running back to the big fight it keeps the fresh troops at bay and demoralizes them to the point that most of them wont bother coming back to the fight.

Now tell me again how we're gonna do this.

I know I'm "the new guy", but I would like to be involved in this "elite group" you are or have formed.

Vasdef Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
oh...and Yes. It is short for Vasdeferens...heheh good guess.
I had a character called that in WoW and they made me change it so i shortened it. It was the second time. Before that it was Dirty Sanchez.....heh

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
well from what I am hearing, tactics are somewhat questionable in Darkfall. It has a very FPS type of game play and most tactics if you can really call them such, have boiled down to a run and gun, hit and run style. This is not to say that tactics are not possible, rather it is more of a perspective based on one's personal preference or play style that more often then not can win a battle. Coordination and communication is key, and that requires intimate knowledge of those you play with and how they fight. In some cases, formalized tactics have shown great promise only to be disrupted by atypical and unorthodox methods or chaotic tendencies.

Knowing the lay of the land is also key and due to the size and distances involved usually means few will have such knowledge. I once thought this way very much and I mean not to discourage such talk, however from what I've come to understand most players will benefit more from the game when they come to grips with a fighting style more to their personal tastes, and yet at the same time will be able to intuitively work with other members ways of fighting at the same time.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
You know, your breakdown is what most military people would do, and would follow a leader using such with even more detail than others. However, trying to get most civilians to maintain the discipline to try and test different maneuvers with comrades before going up against enemies is a huge feat.

The majority would rather just follow a leader in direct un-tested combat against real enemies, regardless of the peril; instead of testing theories on a mass scale first then implementing the devised plans for real later on.

That leads me to another observation: Most Civilian leaders in games, even if they possess the expert knowledge/power of how the game is run, don't have the military leadership experience or the military patience to explain to their people WHY they're about to test X simulation, WHAT they're about to do, or HOW they're going to do it. Some may get part of it right, but there's always one or two parts missing. Then they grow impatient with the followers, and think that approaching their people like some actor in an over-exaggerated war-movie, yelling at the top of their lungs and arbitrarily destroying morale, will somehow help get everyone in line.

Which leads to yet another observation: Most civilian leaders in online gaming, if there's ample time, won't ask for or assess the advice of the people in their immediate group before making a decision. Very often, one or two people in your group will have a better idea than the leader, regardless of how great a leader he/she is. A good leader will thank the person for the great idea and implement it using their leadership to organize the team appropriately and explaining the plan - or letting the person with the epiphany do it. A secure leader will do the right thing - an insecure one or micromanager won't.

There are always exceptions to the negative points I've mentioned above. However, in the 12 years I've spent in online gaming, those great moments have been few and far between.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard