KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 71 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,030,539 Trump card
1,340,290 Picture Thread
478,700 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hare Offline OP
Arch Duke
OP Offline
Arch Duke
I have heard comments from time to time in vent about some of us whose pc's don't handle the sieges at all. It seems like some of us aren't going to be able to be active in the sieges with the current pc's.
I would like to know who fits into this description - we have some support functions that come up occasionally that we could use your help with.
It might be scouting a less populated area or handling some logistics or getting some items we need together.

One example was the last Hamlet siege we had - when we switched from def to off we suddenly needed some siege hammers and did not have a enough ready.

This could have been handled by someone in our town much easier than the general of our offensive force.

So if you can't be as active as you want to be in sieges consider backing us up and list your name here or pm me in game.

Thanks.

(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
We would also like to work with you to make sure it is not a settings issue.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Champion - Taco Salad
KGB Champion - Taco Salad
I can handle sieges about as well as anyone, my problem is that sometimes my server lag just spikes.. I realized that some of the time it seems to be related to me forgetting to turn off VPN for my work. But other times there is no reason. I'm out in the middle of nowhere by myself and *ding* Lost connection to server.

I have lost so many mounts to this issue.. I don't even want to think about it. Not to mention outright deaths, usually to mobs.

I hope this goes away if and when NA server is released.

[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
I was lagging pretty good last night... but I think it's something that can hopefully be fixed if I tweak my settings properly.

(going through all the new player stuff I can find, pretty step learning curve right off the bat)

I'll be in game tonight around 6 PM central time hopefully till around midnight, then should be on for a good deal of time tomorrow night as well. Hopefully can hammer everything out at that time... spent the half hour or so that I was on yesterday just remapping my keyboard because the default settings are horrible.

Last edited by Tonto_KGB; 04/08/09 07:34 AM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I don't get a lot of lag but my cpu evidently can not handle the seiges at all. I have tweaked the setting as much as I can and if there are more than 50-100 people in the area I pretty much get 1-2 FPS.

I am not sure when I will be back in but I know that I will not be able to upgrade my computer anytime soon. Tasorin helped me with my settings etc and we basically decided my Processor is not very good and my video card could be better for this game.

Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
I'm definitely one of those folks. I'm pretty sure it's not a settings issue, I had shadows off, shader_1 on, but was still getting like 2 seconds per frame during the hamlet siege.

Comp is a 3.8ghz single core with 2gb of ram (forgot what kind, I'd have to be on it to check) and a 512mb video card... a gtx7800 or 8800 or something if I recall.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
Band 6
Band 6
I'm preety sure some of you just don't have your settings tuned correctly, rather than havn't bad rigs. I'm on the west coast, never have anything lower than 300 ping; and I can play in the bit battles fine. (Of course I get the occational lag spike or when i cross server line)

Last edited by Syloc; 04/08/09 09:12 AM.

Former KGB Member
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
I have spent many hours trying to trouble shoot this issue across multiple individuals systems. My conclusion is that its not a simple one fix do this solution that works for everyone.

What works for one person doesn't work for another. The delta variable being video card brands, video card series, video drivers, Motherborad Northbridge, pixel shaders, and the grand daddy of them all HD access times, virtual memory and paging issues.

JetStar, Syloc, and myself did a three way comparison since were all west coast, have about the same ping times, and have similar systems, similar HD speeds, and similar ISP bandwidth. We all used the same settings, Jet and I went through and even did the Performance settings for the CPU, Memory, Virtual Memory, and the Page File. After doing all of this, we still had three separate outcomes and FPS results. There is no rhyme or reason to why one of us (me), has shitastic fps in sieges, and those two are playable. Its not my system, its not my settings, its not a fragmented HD, its not a crappy system or video card. Yet for some reason I get the shaft if there are over 100ish people in rendering distance in active combat.

Here are some things we did find out though, that may help some of you.

First thing I always do after I load into Darkfall is go to the Task Manager and go to the Processes tab and hit User Name button and bring all the "ADMIN" or "USER" run programs to the top. I kill any resource hogs that I don't need running, like the firewall, virus scan, ad-watch, and so forth. Secondly I highlight the DFO.exe and right click it to bring up the exe menu. I then select Set Priority, and you have really two choices here. Either select "High Priority" or "Real Time Priority" the choice is yours. I haven't noticed to much of a difference between them.

DFO doesn't really take up that much of a typical dual core systems CPU resources. Even running under siege scenario, the CPU was only using about 55% of its resources under DFO's heaviest load. All three of us have L2 cache in excess of 1mb, and a Northbridge that supports similar through put.

DFO doesn't really take up that much of your typical RAM setup as long as you have more then 2 gigs. If your running 2 gigs, you probably are going to have to get another stick or upgrade to dual 2 gig sticks. This resource issue directly effects system index/paging and your system will start using the HD for memory and hose your FPS. DFO is sucking up about 980,000 kb on launch, and under peek usage after running for several hours never eclipsed 1,365,000Kb of RAM usage. The problem for those with 2 gigs of ram is going to be using the HD to page/index Memory, which will cripple you and turn it into a slide show no matter what in most cases.

Middle to Low end ATI cards seem to be having the most problem under the heaviest loads. The N-Vid cards seem to be preforming a little better in the middle dollar range for DFO. It seems that a 8800 GT non SLI in a PCI express slot with 256mb and a minimum of 24 pipelines is enough to not tax out the video card as long as your putting your settings down to the minimums. Anything less then that and your asking for a serious rendering choke point in your Video card processing capability. All three of us have cards in excess of this minimum, and none of us were seeing the Video card as the choke point. Under the heaviest of loads during the KGB siege from Hyperzerg in our city my Video Card never eclipsed 70% resource usage. I have an EVGA 8800 GTX SLI 512MB w/ 48 pipelines and factory overclocked and know the issue isn't the card.

The biggest issue seems to be HD access time and the page/index file and access issues. This seems to be causing the vast majority of "Virtual Memory Errors" that occur during crash's under the heaviest loads during a siege. Some of that we can fix on our side with settings, and with a decent HD setup, but the majority of the issue is on DFO's side and the way in which it access's game information off your HD.

My suggestion, and I know this sucks and isn't feasible for everyone is to get a second small capacity HD around 20gigs with High RPM's and access time and go RAID setup and get the game off the System HD and into its own HD environment with higher RPM's and lower access times in milliseconds.

The second side of this problem doesn't have anything to do with us, its how the client works and how its accessing information off the HD and what its putting into the page file buffer for later use. This has been an issue for a long time with high system demand games, they push it to the user side and people who don't have high middle to high end rig's get left with a crappy game experience in a twitch style game.

Finally, I did some homework and did some traceroute and ping tests back to the servers in Germany. Holy crap are there some serious problems here. If your West of the major interchange in Philly, Chicago, and St. Louis, packets seem to do a lot more bouncing around. Hell one time I had packets that decided to go EAST of Germany and come in via the Pacific UnderSea Fibre trunk.

When I get home tonight I will post all the settings Jet/Syloc and I used in detail to help. I think if we use this as a baseline we can trouble shoot individuals system issues easier knowing we have all done the basics.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
KGB Paladin
KGB Paladin
I'm Pentium IV 3.2 GHz, 2GB RAM (pretty slow frequency, but don't remember), SATA HD (no raid) should try to fix this, Saphire Radeon 4850 HD x2 1GB card...

I am wrecked during sieges... now I can and will defend KGB cities because I have a good ranged spot that I can fire down onto the clan stone without too much worry of dieing to lag.

Settings have been adjusted and everything done possible... I'm just running a pc that hasn't been upgraded for 3 years (before faster buss speeds, ddr3 ram, and dual cores etc).

I just don't have the money right now to finish upgrading everything which I've priced out at around $650. In a month or two I'll be set and have the upgrades completed. Until then I'm farmer brown, Joe smith, maybe even a GSS operative in training... *sigh* Skilling up is hard to do

Last edited by Thomas; 04/08/09 10:51 AM.

Leader: KGB Korea
Paladin of the Knights of Glory and Beer!
Former KGB RIFT BC Faction
Former Supreme Court Justice
Former Provost Marshal
Former GSS Agent
Former Knight Captain
Former Champion
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Couple of things, one that P4 class cpus are simply not enough, I have noticed this. Apparently DFO takes good advantage of advanced instruction sets and modern cpu architecture because no matter how good of a p4 or older AMD someone has, they all seem to lag during sieges.

my best suggestion to you guys is enable animation reductions, and try and fine a -nosound switch for dfo, or use a trick that prevent dfo from loading sound at all. I forget the specifics and have not tried with dfo yet, maybe someone else can help with the specifics.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard