KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 50 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,356
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,034,252 Trump card
1,342,149 Picture Thread
480,195 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#40466 03/11/09 02:10 PM
Hare Offline OP
Arch Duke
OP Offline
Arch Duke
We talk about this a little bit in-game but I just wanted to give some tips to those that are considering their initial weapon choice.

Stamina is the key element in DFO when you are out of stamina you are done.

I have had a couple of one-on-one pvp fights with 2H (either sword or polearm) and generally those fights end with them running with me at full life and half or more stam. They quickly run out of stam and I beat them down. Sword and Board beats 2H.

Last night we were in Epic's town on Cairn and only one guy was active and 3-4 were afk getting Willie's faction up (I haven't seen Willie blue since we started day 1 of launch).

Donk and the Epic guy chat a bit and we decide to 1v1 instead of everyone chasing the guy around. Our biggest problem was that his euro ping of 20 versus our 250 made for an interesting fight with him moving quickly doing figure 8's at sprint speed and some of us not keeping up very well.

His 2H vs our 2H (2 of ours 1v1) was not much of a fight after he started the sprinting. Even though our best pvpers were involved he finished them off fairly easily.

I was the only Sword and Board, and I am not saying I am our best pvper, and our fight ended as a no decision. He couldn't kill me and I regenned as fast as he was hitting me. He backed off alot when I wasn't taking damage, I expect to conserve his stam. I never went below 85-90% hp or 80-90% stam and I did not press him much on the attack, I did press a little to test him when he backed off and he backed further which I think meant he had burned some stam.

So while it was an UGLY fight my defense was close to equal to his attack and I feel like my survivability is very high 1v1 or more importantly when sieging starts. If someone is attacking me in a siege they are going to want to switch to a softer target who they can take down faster. The longer I can keep standing the more I am distracting or attacking them. It's a battle of attrition and this style is one that can help you stay in the battle.

I am going to work up my 2H sword but I am very happy with the Sword and Board start. Parry is king right now in DFO.

As I said it was a very boring ugly fight with him having difficulty with my defense and me staying defensive mostly, but there were 4-5 guys watching the fight, however dissapointing it was for action, maybe they can give their take on it.

My parry was only 44.8 at the time. It goes up slow but it's powerful.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
You may have talked me into going sword and board hare smile

I would love to hear other people take on this - either way I am going bow #1 but swords is still low enough that I can switch

Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
Vyse - I'm also primarily an archer, which makes sword and board pretty awesome. With my primary DPS being ranged, I love the ability to parry and burn my enemy's stamina when they come into melee range. Shields tend to keep enemies at distance, which is exactly how we archers like them!

[Linked Image from zandadev.com]
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Got the same kind of experience : some pk jumped on me while I was resting. I was like 20% health, 50% stam when I got on my feet with my equipment unsheathed.

The 2h user (and not a shitty one) had to use stam pots and food before I got to 5% stam. The moment a mob chose to backstab me.

Last edited by Arkh; 03/11/09 03:43 PM.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Right now, Archery + Sword & Board + Magery = Teh King.

Hell, even removing either Archery or Magery plus Sword and Board is still freaking tuff to beat with someone playing like they know what there doing.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Personally I view it in effects. Sword and Board = Defence, while 2-H = Attack. I rotate between sword and board to drive down their stamina and then switch to 2-h for the ass beating. When I need to regen stam, out comes the board. Your right people are wary of attacking the shield because of how strong it is right now. And I usually start and end with magic when they decided to run in or away.

What makes a man turn neutral? Lust for gold? Power? Or were you just born with a heart full of neutrality?
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Do Polearms drain the same amount of stam as 2H?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
KGB Paladin
KGB Paladin
one thing I did notice on that fight... and many fights with boards is a lot of people will stop attacking you while you hold shield up. The trick is to take it down and rush them but at last second pull shield back up for a block. You'll catch them mid swing against you and draw the stam.

The fight last night was slow because he was not willing to engage you with your shield up. Just gotta get good at tricking them and get inside their head.

Leader: KGB Korea
Paladin of the Knights of Glory and Beer!
Former KGB RIFT BC Faction
Former Supreme Court Justice
Former Provost Marshal
Former GSS Agent
Former Knight Captain
Former Champion
KGB Champion - Taco Salad
KGB Champion - Taco Salad
I try my best with axe and shield, but I really get owned every time by 2 handers with greater strength. Yes, I drain their stam faster, but they always get a few hits in and I am usually at lower health due to damage discrepancy. If I go in swinging at that point, they will probably regen enough stam to kill me before I can take them down. If they have mana to stam, it's even worse.

It only seems to work against people who don't manage their stam well, don't have food or pots, and totally run out of stam.

I'm open to suggestions.

I have a hard time recommending this for anyone who doesn't feel skilled in twitch fighting.

It's totally uber for group PvE though.

Last edited by rhaikh; 03/12/09 12:25 AM.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
rhaikh : you can also use food, pots and mana to stam spell. Even worse : pack some health pot.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard