KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 71 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,030,539 Trump card
1,340,290 Picture Thread
478,700 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#38198 02/16/09 12:11 PM
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Greetings and Salutations KGB!

I have been discussing with your guild leaders what current games you are playing and which ones you may be headed toward in the future. I have been watching KGB for a long time now, and have the privilege to now show you another MMO, Alganon.

I wanted to introduce myself here and get to know your guild a little bit better. What do you look for in a game, what types of PvE or PvP excite you? What is interesting in crafting systems for your guild?

We are also entering beta in the next few weeks, so want to extend you the opportunity to join in on this event. While I discuss this with the guild leaders, feel free to visit our just released community network site, http://www.myalganon.com/signup. This isn't just for the Alganon community, but for everyone that may find a use for it.

Thanks KGB!

Mathew "Berek" Anderson
QOL Community Manager

Last edited by Berek; 02/16/09 12:13 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Can you please explain to us "Alganon" in a nutshell? How is it different than other MMOs? What does it feature that will help players feel immersed into the world? To what extent will PVP be offered? Is it a sandbox game or an amusement park game (w.o.w.)?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Band 7
Band 7
bravo Crim.

Former KGB Member
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Quote:

Can you please explain to us "Alganon" in a nutshell? How is it different than other MMOs? What does it feature that will help players feel immersed into the world? To what extent will PVP be offered? Is it a sandbox game or an amusement park game (w.o.w.)?

Absolutely. First, PvP... we are still determining when exactly this will be implemented. It is a critical component we must get right, so we're taking a lot of time to ensure it is put in at a place that is best for the rest of the game development.

This being said, we need your ideas and feedback on what you think will make PvP good in Alganon, or any MMO for that matter. What has been done poorly in the past? We have a chance to tweak our current design ideas now.

Alganon is an MMO that is designed to not take up all your time, but be a compliment to other games you might be playing today. It is designed to be familiar, yet innovative with new features such as The Library system. We didn't want to create a game so alien that you were scared of it . Yet completely cloning in exact detail other games is not the answer either of course.

The Library. You can access necessary information about the game world, no matter where you are in the world. Being able to travel to the capital cities to input new world items into this database makes one feel like you are really contributing to the game. You make a difference, even if its a small difference right now.

And now that MyAlganon is live, these two systems will be integrated, so you can check Library elements while offline as well.

The Studies system is another important component. You may not have time to always play, but the Studies system gives you the opportunity to advance while offline and away from your computer, but advance in a fair and balanced way.

Dual Role system that provides flexibility in building a solid group for combat, all the way to the simpler things, such as the great variety of terrain available to explore.

I could write a lot more, but perhaps if I was given some target areas I could focus in a bit on those instead. But like I said before, your opinions and suggestions count on what ultimately is produced, now more than ever...

Future features include ways to reward your fellow players. Did a group member do well in battle? Showing this to them via various in-game recognition features will be possible.

I hope this helps some answer your question, if not just a little bit.

Last edited by Berek; 02/16/09 04:52 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight

Quote:

Absolutely. First, PvP... we are still determining when exactly this will be implemented. It is a critical component we must get right, so we're taking a lot of time to ensure it is put in at a place that is best for the rest of the game development.

This being said, we need your ideas and feedback on what you think will make PvP good in Alganon, or any MMO for that matter. What has been done poorly in the past? We have a chance to tweak our current design ideas now.

1. Right off the bat I can let you in on something that about 90% of all MMOs have done to totally destroy their PVP system for at least the first six months to a year: They put in PVP as an afterthought. In other words, they get a perfect PVE system setup, and then throw in the PVP with races/skills/classes as they are. Within a week, you'll have 70% of the player base freaking out that the other 30% of classes are overpowered and destroying them in PVP.

2. Then the worst possible thing happens: The nerf bat. This always results in a noticeable player-base drop in participation/monthly payment.

How to avoid #1? Work on PVP, skills, and gear while working on PVE and tweaking on the balance simultaneously. Whether you liked the game or not, this one particular game had an uncanny system that REALLY did a spectacular job at keeping PVP balance with only some minor flaws. This game gave diminishing returns for applying the same type of bonuses to the slots on items, plus offered a duo-class option that allowed for more strengths and weaknesses. The game is called Guild Wars. Check out the guild wars wiki to see what I mean. It could definitely inspire some thought.

How to avoid #2? First avoid problem #1, but if class balancing must happen, DO NOT NERF - it's a true sign of laziness and developer-to-player apathy. Rather, BUFF the other classes. Now instead of losing players over a nerf, you've made the weaker classes happy.

Quote:

Alganon is an MMO that is designed to not take up all your time, but be a compliment to other games you might be playing today. It is designed to be familiar, yet innovative with new features such as The Library system. We didn't want to create a game so alien that you were scared of it . Yet completely cloning in exact detail other games is not the answer either of course.

Veteran MMO gamers definitely are looking for new and alien concepts to move away from the hum-drum. Of course, to draw in the newer audiences, some familiarity helps.

Quote:

The Library. You can access necessary information about the game world, no matter where you are in the world. Being able to travel to the capital cities to input new world items into this database makes one feel like you are really contributing to the game. You make a difference, even if its a small difference right now.

And now that MyAlganon is live, these two systems will be integrated, so you can check Library elements while offline as well.

This looks interesting. So the player is discovering X item, and then placing the info on X item into the database?

Quote:

The Studies system is another important component. You may not have time to always play, but the Studies system gives you the opportunity to advance while offline and away from your computer, but advance in a fair and balanced way.

This is a HUGE PLUS for people with RLs who prefer to mostly or only PVP.

Quote:

Dual Role system that provides flexibility in building a solid group for combat, all the way to the simpler things, such as the great variety of terrain available to explore.

By dual role system, do you mean a player can have one setup for his character that's good for PVE, and then a second setup for his character that's good for PVP? Also, good at all around combat with one setup, and then switch to another for terrain exploration?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
T
Band 4
Band 4
T
No need for me to ask anything, Crim has the points covered.

Last edited by Tuskil; 02/16/09 09:52 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Wow Crim - they have a job application on their site - I think you are the man for that job

Alganon looks interesting, I set up an account and am awaiting word for where to download for the closed beta. I am just dying to play something new and the DF beta continues to elude me.

KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
Full loot. It's what a PvP game need. But it means that items should not be an assle to get.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
To note, we have a Community Roundtable feature in our forums we use to get questions from the community answered each week. Feel free to use this for "point-blank" Qs .

Band 7
Band 7
PVP not implemented and they're launching soon?....I'm out.

PVP as an afterthought is always a disaster

Former KGB Member
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard