KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 71 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,030,539 Trump card
1,340,290 Picture Thread
478,700 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#38198 02/16/09 12:11 PM
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Greetings and Salutations KGB!

I have been discussing with your guild leaders what current games you are playing and which ones you may be headed toward in the future. I have been watching KGB for a long time now, and have the privilege to now show you another MMO, Alganon.

I wanted to introduce myself here and get to know your guild a little bit better. What do you look for in a game, what types of PvE or PvP excite you? What is interesting in crafting systems for your guild?

We are also entering beta in the next few weeks, so want to extend you the opportunity to join in on this event. While I discuss this with the guild leaders, feel free to visit our just released community network site, http://www.myalganon.com/signup. This isn't just for the Alganon community, but for everyone that may find a use for it.

Thanks KGB!

Mathew "Berek" Anderson
QOL Community Manager

Last edited by Berek; 02/16/09 12:13 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Can you please explain to us "Alganon" in a nutshell? How is it different than other MMOs? What does it feature that will help players feel immersed into the world? To what extent will PVP be offered? Is it a sandbox game or an amusement park game (w.o.w.)?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
Band 7
Band 7
bravo Crim.

Former KGB Member
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Quote:

Can you please explain to us "Alganon" in a nutshell? How is it different than other MMOs? What does it feature that will help players feel immersed into the world? To what extent will PVP be offered? Is it a sandbox game or an amusement park game (w.o.w.)?

Absolutely. First, PvP... we are still determining when exactly this will be implemented. It is a critical component we must get right, so we're taking a lot of time to ensure it is put in at a place that is best for the rest of the game development.

This being said, we need your ideas and feedback on what you think will make PvP good in Alganon, or any MMO for that matter. What has been done poorly in the past? We have a chance to tweak our current design ideas now.

Alganon is an MMO that is designed to not take up all your time, but be a compliment to other games you might be playing today. It is designed to be familiar, yet innovative with new features such as The Library system. We didn't want to create a game so alien that you were scared of it . Yet completely cloning in exact detail other games is not the answer either of course.

The Library. You can access necessary information about the game world, no matter where you are in the world. Being able to travel to the capital cities to input new world items into this database makes one feel like you are really contributing to the game. You make a difference, even if its a small difference right now.

And now that MyAlganon is live, these two systems will be integrated, so you can check Library elements while offline as well.

The Studies system is another important component. You may not have time to always play, but the Studies system gives you the opportunity to advance while offline and away from your computer, but advance in a fair and balanced way.

Dual Role system that provides flexibility in building a solid group for combat, all the way to the simpler things, such as the great variety of terrain available to explore.

I could write a lot more, but perhaps if I was given some target areas I could focus in a bit on those instead. But like I said before, your opinions and suggestions count on what ultimately is produced, now more than ever...

Future features include ways to reward your fellow players. Did a group member do well in battle? Showing this to them via various in-game recognition features will be possible.

I hope this helps some answer your question, if not just a little bit.

Last edited by Berek; 02/16/09 04:52 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight

Quote:

Absolutely. First, PvP... we are still determining when exactly this will be implemented. It is a critical component we must get right, so we're taking a lot of time to ensure it is put in at a place that is best for the rest of the game development.

This being said, we need your ideas and feedback on what you think will make PvP good in Alganon, or any MMO for that matter. What has been done poorly in the past? We have a chance to tweak our current design ideas now.

1. Right off the bat I can let you in on something that about 90% of all MMOs have done to totally destroy their PVP system for at least the first six months to a year: They put in PVP as an afterthought. In other words, they get a perfect PVE system setup, and then throw in the PVP with races/skills/classes as they are. Within a week, you'll have 70% of the player base freaking out that the other 30% of classes are overpowered and destroying them in PVP.

2. Then the worst possible thing happens: The nerf bat. This always results in a noticeable player-base drop in participation/monthly payment.

How to avoid #1? Work on PVP, skills, and gear while working on PVE and tweaking on the balance simultaneously. Whether you liked the game or not, this one particular game had an uncanny system that REALLY did a spectacular job at keeping PVP balance with only some minor flaws. This game gave diminishing returns for applying the same type of bonuses to the slots on items, plus offered a duo-class option that allowed for more strengths and weaknesses. The game is called Guild Wars. Check out the guild wars wiki to see what I mean. It could definitely inspire some thought.

How to avoid #2? First avoid problem #1, but if class balancing must happen, DO NOT NERF - it's a true sign of laziness and developer-to-player apathy. Rather, BUFF the other classes. Now instead of losing players over a nerf, you've made the weaker classes happy.

Quote:

Alganon is an MMO that is designed to not take up all your time, but be a compliment to other games you might be playing today. It is designed to be familiar, yet innovative with new features such as The Library system. We didn't want to create a game so alien that you were scared of it . Yet completely cloning in exact detail other games is not the answer either of course.

Veteran MMO gamers definitely are looking for new and alien concepts to move away from the hum-drum. Of course, to draw in the newer audiences, some familiarity helps.

Quote:

The Library. You can access necessary information about the game world, no matter where you are in the world. Being able to travel to the capital cities to input new world items into this database makes one feel like you are really contributing to the game. You make a difference, even if its a small difference right now.

And now that MyAlganon is live, these two systems will be integrated, so you can check Library elements while offline as well.

This looks interesting. So the player is discovering X item, and then placing the info on X item into the database?

Quote:

The Studies system is another important component. You may not have time to always play, but the Studies system gives you the opportunity to advance while offline and away from your computer, but advance in a fair and balanced way.

This is a HUGE PLUS for people with RLs who prefer to mostly or only PVP.

Quote:

Dual Role system that provides flexibility in building a solid group for combat, all the way to the simpler things, such as the great variety of terrain available to explore.

By dual role system, do you mean a player can have one setup for his character that's good for PVE, and then a second setup for his character that's good for PVP? Also, good at all around combat with one setup, and then switch to another for terrain exploration?

[Linked Image]

T
Band 4
Band 4
T
No need for me to ask anything, Crim has the points covered.

Last edited by Tuskil; 02/16/09 09:52 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Wow Crim - they have a job application on their site - I think you are the man for that job

Alganon looks interesting, I set up an account and am awaiting word for where to download for the closed beta. I am just dying to play something new and the DF beta continues to elude me.

KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Supreme Knight
Full loot. It's what a PvP game need. But it means that items should not be an assle to get.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
To note, we have a Community Roundtable feature in our forums we use to get questions from the community answered each week. Feel free to use this for "point-blank" Qs .

Band 7
Band 7
PVP not implemented and they're launching soon?....I'm out.

PVP as an afterthought is always a disaster

Former KGB Member
(G6) KGB Warlord
KGB Federal Faction
(G6) KGB Warlord
KGB Federal Faction
If the afterthought PvP is fragbased no risk or reward then it is definately not a game most KGB would be interested in.

If people wanted easy mode gear farming fragfest they would keep playing WoW.

However I would be glad to test your game out if you want solid opinions and have some beta tsting or something set up.

Last edited by Donkleaps; 02/17/09 04:51 PM.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

If the afterthought PvP is fragbased no risk or reward then it is definately not a game most KGB would be interested in.

If people wanted easy mode gear farming fragfest they would keep playing WoW.

However I would be glad to test your game out if you want solid opinions and have some beta tsting or something set up.

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Thank you Vyse, I definitely would appreciate the input you have to share on all aspects of our game's development. I wouldn't be here if I didn't care about your input.

I do have to say that PvP isn't an afterthought. It is a feature that just isn't in as early of a phase as some other games put it as. Like I mentioned earlier, PvP is being taken seriously, it simply has its own place on the timeline of development, which extends beyond release.

One of the reasons I asked for your guild's thoughts on PvP is there is still a chance to tweak what we do have in place.

A forum member on our forums referenced how much content we'll have at release versus our vision. That doesn't mean we're forgetting about "the rest" until after release and we'll "figure it out" as we go. It means we are releasing a certain percentage of content at a certain point, more at a later point, more beyond that, etc.

Each content piece has its own place, but they are not an afterthought necessarily. We are building the game to be expansive beyond release in as controlled a manner for us and interesting for you, as we can. We are not going to simply stop at release and "call it a night".

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Hey Berek:

Can you answer the two (I believe) questions I asked in my second post within this thread? Thanks!

[Linked Image]

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Quote:

An in-game Wikipedia? Interesting - out of game crack for those of us who like researching crap.

Quote:

So would this system be similar to Eve? I think this would be a great incentive for the average gamer. I personally miss Eve's system - hell I think I should go re-activate not like I am playing any games atm anyways - lol

My only other thought atm is - the sole reason I play MMOs is for PVP. If PVP is second string to PVE it really leaves me with a limp noodle.

Either way wouldn't mind checking it out - or at least pestering Vyse about it.

-Auld

Will work for beer.
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
I may have missed one of those questions Crim, restate please if I have . Here is an answer to one I believe:

"By dual role system, do you mean a player can have one setup for his character that's good for PVE, and then a second setup for his character that's good for PVP? Also, good at all around combat with one setup, and then switch to another for terrain exploration?"

I believe this might answer your question?: http://alganon.com/news-detail/id/116

"So would this system be similar to Eve?"

I hate to compare it really to other games, as it honestly is unique from any MMO I've ever experienced. Essentially you are able to select skills that train while you are offline or online.

There are balances and checks that make this system both fun and fair, so you cannot gain a significant advantage playing against others while "not" playing .

One of the themes we're placing on Alganon is its a "supportive" game. We aren't stealing your time from WAR, WOW, or any other game. We are complimenting it, or if you really appreciate the game's aspects, play it dedicated 24/7 . We want to provide a balance so you don't feel you have to "switch" necessarily. Studies comes into play here.

Last edited by Berek; 02/19/09 09:06 AM.
(G6) KGB Warlord
KGB Federal Faction
(G6) KGB Warlord
KGB Federal Faction
Give me a dev team and some funding and I will make the best MMO in the world.

That's a promise.

KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
KGB (F4) Chancellor
Crowfall Faction
Quote:

That's a promise.

I don't think: "Hello Kitty - Vegas: The Stripper Years" qualifies as an MMO Donk.

Don't make me have'ta Troll ya Bro!
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Quote:

That's a promise.

I don't think: "Hello Kitty - Vegas: The Stripper Years" qualifies as an MMO Donk.

ROFLMFAO!

T
Band 4
Band 4
T
Chances are favorable that I will do this thing with the beta for Alganon.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

That's a promise.

I'll believe that if the promise refers to having no, or very limited, PVE Item Grind/Raiding BS, and is focused on

1. Free form Person-Person Shooter with magery/archery and third person slasher with melee;

2. Huge in-depth character creation/development, including skill trees,;

3. A sandbox type environment;

4. focus on True PVP format; from City Building/Destruction to decent Weapon/Armor building of NPCs ala Shadowbane. Also the ability to make cohesive military units a viable form of combat, and not just guerrilla units and mindless zergs; and

6. Includes most or all weapon type prototypes from 1000 BC on up to 1000 AD, including a huge variety of polearms.

[Linked Image]

(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Quote:

Quote:

That's a promise.

I'll believe that if the promise refers to having no, or very limited, PVE Item Grind/Raiding BS, and is focused on

1. Free form Person-Person Shooter with magery/archery and third person slasher with melee;

4. focus on True PVP format; from City Building/Destruction to decent Weapon/Armor building of NPCs ala Shadowbane. Also the ability to make cohesive military units a viable form of combat, and not just guerrilla units and mindless zergs; and

6. Includes most or all weapon type prototypes from 1000 BC on up to 1000 AD, including a huge variety of polearms.

In short, Crims MMO would be Polearms Online or PO.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
POlearms Online - or POO for short.

Realistically speaking, good MMO PvP revolves around the concept of Sandbox style world design, pvp flagging, etc.

In all honesty, to many MMO developers try to make a RPG version of Team Fortress, complete with WoW-grind... and fail miserably at it.

Without being unduly verbose, the best advice I can give you is to either a) make character progression extremely quick and easy (the funnest part about AoC, was playing with all sorts of different classes/specs when advancement was still relatively quick and easy. They nerfed 60% of the fun out of their incomplete game when they turned it to a grind), or b) have a classless re-speccable advancement model. (so you are never stuck with a bad character)

Balance, and gameplay can, will, and will probably need to be changed over time. The mood I have been reading from players for a good while now, is players are now much much less tolerant of the "hamster in a wheel" model of gameplay. Those who still enjoy, and buy into that style of gaming are probably not going to leave their existing, hundred-million dollar budget hamster wheel for an indie hamster wheel.

If you want to seriously capture (and more importantly, retain - see WHO and AoC for reference) the interest of players you need to do something other than offer a slightly different wheel, with a different backdrop for said wheel. You need to offer some new toys for the hamster to play with...

The clearest and most defined way to do this, is to go back
to the way of thinking of the early MMO / MUD era when people were thinking in terms of virtual worlds that strove to offer player freedom - as opposed to the newer era where most of what you see is pure team-based co-op content and extremely structured play.

Though Eve has managed this to a degree, and Darkfall will be as well, neither game is perfect, or perfect for everyone. Though I ofc have my own ideas, I wont try to tell you how to make your game. I am sure many of your team have your own ideas.

All I am saying, is that what players really want is not another wheel, that is similar to the old wheel, but set in a different cage, or a different color, or with extra little decorations to look at as you run in place.

We want a virtual word, with a better balance of grind/fun that can still hold some meaning. Which admittedly, is one heck of a tough line to follow. ( as time itself imparts meaning to the ones willing to spend it, seeing as once youve spend 100 hours doing something, the end result obviously bears some value to the spender if for no other reason than it took so long to do it. )

Last edited by Derid; 02/19/09 04:54 PM.
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Thank you Derid, Crimthan and others, your comments are duly noted and taken to the development team for consideration. They have a lot of experience in playing and developing games from the MUD era as well, so understand your perspective.

When we move forward with PvP and anything mentioned here, I'll let you know.

One of the game mechanics we want to ensure is done right above and beyond PvP itself when that is implemented, is the balance between PvE and PvP. Otherwise you can ruin both if they aren't being compared together.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's a promise.

In short, Crims MMO would be Polearms Online or PO.

Because I mentioned polearms in there? Funny, but I had a lot of other non-polearm related concepts in there, and Derid basically said most of what I said.

Anyway, Thank you Berek for considering KGB during these very important stages of development for Alganon.

[Linked Image]

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
A quick update to KGB that we've added our CEO's February update letter, as well as the latest Community Roundtable feature that answers some of your direct questions!

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Nice, it's awesome to see that input from some veteran gamers is really appreciated

[Linked Image]

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Yesterday we posted our second gameplay video of Alganon, showing the Kujix on the continent of Harraja. The first video shows the Asheroth on the continent of Ardonya:

http://www.alganon.com/video

The Harraja video also shows our new sky & environment system!

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
We've updated our 'About Alganon' page with more information and a consolidated view: http://www.alganon.com/about-alganon

(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Thanks we will check it out.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
As I've said many times before in discussions of the past...

Quote:
I agree with those statements if your looking at it as a structured business venture and from the perspective of a designer. While I am very certain that many of those in game development have their roots as game players something gets lost in the translation between "It's my job" and "It's my hobby". Design from my perspective is not perfect and I am not so blind as to see that my opinions are more often then not in the wrong. I realize my knowledge in such areas is tenuous at best, but more likely nonexistent. Though I would be remiss if I didn't mention the social, psychological, and creative impacts felt by players as a whole with in the games design.

I agree that much of what I spoke of was as I said overly dramatic and carried little substance, however the the truth is still never the less prevalent, that games follow a tend and that trend is in question. Why else would your guild as well as all the other guilds I've come to admire and respect be waiting? Would not the perfect game have already been created if all that you say is true?

Is not the definition of the word creativity stem from being innovative, and does that not also mean doing something that has not been done? So given that, wouldn't a game company or development house seek to improve something, or invent and create something that has never been seen instead of reach out and live off the work that has been previously done?

By following a trend, you have not been creative, you have not invented or improved the current industry standard, there by all your really accomplishing is pirating past achievements and resting on your laurels for the pursuit of money.

I realize it takes money to make money, though I believe there are as I initially stated other aspects to gaming that current design does not address very well, it is the social and psychological dynamics at play in a community. Something everyone here in KGB seems to all agree on. You want pvp, you want good guy verse bad guy, player justice, community, recognition, and player fame, a story driven by you or your guild, a dynamic living breathing world not a static re-spawn world tightly monitored for bad behavior or slightly off center from pc comments, you want guild verse guild, and epic explorable areas, combined with less grind and itemcentricity, you want player kingdoms. None of which can be accomplished without some risk great or small.

Will every attempt to innovate yield positive results? Probably not. Will it cost money? Undoubtedly so. Without such though, the world and games in general would be a very boring place. Just think of all the things in games or otherwise we wouldn't have if people just followed the ebb and flow of design, if people concerned themselves more with the cost then the results, or if companies looked at the untold millions of revenue instead of making something unique.

I have heard that no MMO makes money in their first 1-5 years or better and some never fully recover invested interest, I understand that they are costly endeavors with many employees, and that no game is created in a vacuum or that no game can function without huge logistical support structures outside of the game itself.

I am merely commenting on game ideologies concerning the things players want and that design in general either completely ignores this point or doesn't understand it. I am looking at the community aspects as well showing the fact that as a social game, with humanistic mentalities you can't compartmentalize it using flawed industry standards that have been handed down since the beginning of time.

That creativity requires sacrifice, and the players know this apparently more than the game companies. By default players are a community and communities are often times linked directly with the game in a symbiotic relationship which reflects how well it's received and by what success it generates. WE are paying the bill regardless of how minor or insignificant it may be, and if we had a game that wasn't cloned or refurbished with a dynamic tool set success could all but be guaranteed and a game company could make a strong case for taking risks.

There are many companies out there with capital to spare, and they voraciously hold onto this to cover projects that in the past they never even participated in. They get this huge chunk of money and diversify, why? If I started a company making MMOs for PC, why would I diversify making say Xbox 360 games if I previously had no experience in it? When I could use the money I made from my MMO experience to enhance our understanding of the concept and become the best at it, there by continuing to produce MMOs far more superior then others who branch their efforts.

Not meaning to sound callous or rude, but on the one hand you state companies have no venture capital and cannot take risks then you state that companies can make a lot of money in a MMO if done right, proceeding on to say if I had 10-20 Million would I risk it on a questionable project.

Well to this I say, if done right means following a industry standard, proven concept, or trend just so I can make money for future endorsements on a project unrelated to my current field of work, or so that I can enhance my business posture with stockholders, and strengthen my portfolio so I can be bought out. I think I'd opt to be a leader in the field instead, I realize that's easy to say sitting from the cheap seats but how else can one make a game that can compete? You don't get to be the best by following the pack, you can't be Alpha Dog by being a Omega.

I'm not disagreeing with you completely, I'm just seeing a different picture on the other side. A community and a game are linked and most games fail because the community fails due to lack of social enhancing mechanics or restrictive play which limits interaction to grind scenarios based off of item-centric quest based play or care bear for those familiar with the term.

Lastly, before I get called on it, since game designers I've spoke with in the past always do, quest based game play is by my definition a game designed from the ground up which promotes questing at it's heart. Quest based game play doesn't mean a game can't have quests it means the game design is based totally on it to the exclusion of general exploration and adventuring due to the lesser returns on such activities. It usually required people to meet many demands as far as character design and group composition.

A player may need to be a certain level, a certain class, have certain gear, be at a certain location, on a certain part of the quest, or to have the quest before he can enjoy the benefits of completion, and there can be many other such hoops players are expected to jump through depending on the quest system in general. This form of compartmentalization and isolationist game play means you only see or meet people before or after a quest in centralized staging areas. Pardon me, but that's LAME, if I wanted to have such an experience I could go stand in line in Kmart.

Anyhow If you've gotten this far, and not completely destroyed your keyboard in a fit of rage at my comments, shaken your head in utter disgust or just plain given up on my idiocy I invite a response if your eyes are not bleeding. I hope you've taken no offense, and if you have I do apologize.

it's always been my belief, a belief I've often preached about many times in the past, that gaming suffers at the hands of human nature. It is and has always been our own fickle tendencies to drive innovation to provide us with what we want. It is that primal psychological aspect of social interaction and community which dictates our passions, and in a gaming related context this is why the industry has been following the current trend. To provide what they think the larger majority wants based on sales figures and mass appeal.

Unfortunately just because 9 Million subscribers have bought into a specific idea or design element doesn't necessarily make it the best. The fact is many people that have ascribed to the notion that World of Warcraft is the pinnacle of game design only feeds the misconception that all games should be made this way, and ultimately most of these 9 million people do not have much gaming experience or mechanical understanding to know better. To realize these games have more potential as a social device or community resource then as just a loot fest dress up game.

Morphic sway rooms, virtual reality, and graphical interfaces will come with time as technologies improve at the steady pace we've all come to expect. Unfortunately the question begging to be asked is will human nature ever evolve past what it currently is and keep the same pace? Doubtful, the technological singularity in relation to Moore's Law does not specifically prove that mankind's ability to grow psychologically will match the growth of his intellect. Emotionally speaking mankind is fragile, and this means we invariantly build fragility into everything we make and anything we act upon.

If you put in FFA PvP, with no or limited compartmentalization, and isolational instancing, itemcenticity, experience grind, or quest based lore driven npc factional systems and instead gave players the oppertunity to be the true heros and villians of the world through a dynamic player driven story or lore system, with a risk and reward system which can define player metalities and assign these classic roles between good and evil, thus rewarding such play depending on the risk involved. Players in a pvp world need, no we live by structure, the strongest lead, only the fit survive, as contradictory as it may seem to some of those idiots on the IGDA (International Game Developers Association) forums, pvp is not as random, indiscriminate, and detrimental to community as it seems. Us pvp mechanics seek to bring order not cause disorder, we want realism in play, we want players to have that true sense of adventure, where game play is dynamic and thrilling, we encourage role playing and player interaction. How else does a game designer think a pvp guild recruits? Members don't just appear out of thin air, we talk and meet players IN GAME UNDER PVP RULES who meet our needs, or show great promise and we talk with them, killing other players is not always the goal in a FFA PVP game.

We need player owned cities, a good toolset for guild management, a diplomatic system, a siege capability and the tools to make it happen, a system for identifying allies as well as enemy guilds and players, a good economic model and crafting system. Every good pvp mechanic made forts as a little kid and then defended them.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Missing in Action - October 2021
Missing in Action - October 2021
I think by far one of the most important things a game needs is a reason to pvp, although it should also be ffa. By a reason to pvp, I don't mean a gear grind like WoW's honor system. I mean put in player cities, give these player cities benefits that will make the guild want to own the city for, and make those cities siegable. This will give your players more than enough reason to fight each other.

This can be done in different ways, Neocron's cities gave guild/faction players in that zone crafting or combat bonuses, so if you wanted to make the best weapons in the game and make sure you didn't fail while constructing it, and got the best stats on it possible, you needed to be a capped constructor, sitting inside your guild's "Factory" (city that gave + to construction).

Other games have cities that make harvesting resources far easier if not completely automated, so again, players are driven to own these cities, and eventually have to take over cities if they want one.

I guess that's another thing, control where cities can form and conflicts between players will naturally happen. Allow cities to pop up anywhere and your entire planet will be covered with cities as in SW:G just so players can avoid conflict.

You have to plant the seed for conflicts to happen between players, and let them make the choice as to whether they fight or not. Don't just set up a rival faction system, and tell the players that they say... hate orcs and have to kill any orc they see, without really giving them any justification to do so.

BoS Archon
[Linked Image from miniprofile.xfire.com][Linked Image from sigimages.bf2tracker.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Exactly Bibs, nicely put

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Thought I would let your guild know that we've announced all Social Networking features, including the new RSS feeds!: http://www.alganon.com/news-detail/id/182

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
In relation to the RSS feed, the Economy, Combat, and today Families have been talked about!: http://www.alganon.com/news-detail/id/196

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I have registered on the site but i do not see a beta signup? sadness.
Berek, I see that a public beta is supposed to start this spring but a lot of stuff is listed as "more info coming soon" how soon is soon, or how far along are you (the devs) with proceeding into an open beta?

They/Them

Star Citizen:
MISC Endeavor -- Anvil Carrack -- Anvil Terrapin -- Drake Dragonfly
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Berek I see your in Wisconsin, well being a resident of Minnesota like Hobbit, I was wondering if you guys are hiring? I was born in Two Rivers Wisconsin and will be looking to start my education in various computer related classes at the tender age of 37. I guess it's never to late to go to school, hopefully one day I'll be making these games instead of playing them....er, nah I'll be playing them too lol.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I have you one upped. I have a degree in game design and development (or almost, if my lazy ass hadnt dropped out near the last 3 credits to pursue psychology) and am now working on my doctorate after also finishing a stint in the army =P

but i heartily support the above post, and eagerly await answers to my questions as well =)

They/Them

Star Citizen:
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I must say I'm excited for a dedicated healing class again, I loved being one of THREE bishops on the entire server for Lineage 2 for quite some time, i wasnt able to fight for crap, but DAMN did I get some nice heals, ( and an area effect clan rez ... mmm ) one other concern is that the classes all seem to have some WoWish additions, like the "reduced mobility but greatly increased damage" that the healer has. How do you intend to make Alganon define itself as its own game rather than a WoW-clone (or other mmo-clone?)?

They/Them

Star Citizen:
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Originally Posted By: Hobbitlauncher
I have registered on the site but i do not see a beta signup? sadness.
Berek, I see that a public beta is supposed to start this spring but a lot of stuff is listed as "more info coming soon" how soon is soon, or how far along are you (the devs) with proceeding into an open beta?

Could you link me where the "coming soon" stuff is you are seeing? I want to be sure we haven't missed a place that should be updated.

Originally Posted By: Drakiis
Berek I see your in Wisconsin, well being a resident of Minnesota like Hobbit, I was wondering if you guys are hiring? I was born in Two Rivers Wisconsin and will be looking to start my education in various computer related classes at the tender age of 37. I guess it's never to late to go to school, hopefully one day I'll be making these games instead of playing them....er, nah I'll be playing them too lol.

Actually, I am the only one on our team based in Wisconsin... it's a state not heavily populated by game studios, at all smile. Raven Software is here, but that's about it. Our team is remote, though we're based overall in Chandler, AZ.

We have one position listed, though overall we're not hiring at the moment. I'll keep you in mind and let you know when our careers page is updated!: http://qol.com/companyCareers.php

Last edited by Berek; 05/03/09 05:59 PM.
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
in particular some of the race and class pages have little or no information.

and about the beta signups? Or does simply creating a user there sign us up?

They/Them

Star Citizen:
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
LoL well I've not actually begun my education in game design and motion graphics yet, but I will be looking around some day in the future. Yes I've noticed very few companies around these parts, I believe activision has a studio in Minneapolis/St. Paul, as well as a few places in and around chicago and Iowa. I would most likely end up moving back to Texas and living in Austin TX, or moving to Canada and working Ubisoft

E
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
(GM4) KGB Prime Minister
KGB Federal Faction
E
How cool to be born in the two rivers!!

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Yay another Wheel of Time fan! smile

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Mmorpg.com developer chat coming up this evening at 6pm PST! Would love to see your guild there!: http://www.alganon.com/news-detail/id/209

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Thanks everyone whom attended! Sorry for the late reply here. You can find the developer transcript and update game information at: http://www.alganon.com/news-detail/id/210

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Vyse
Yay another Wheel of Time fan! smile

James Oliver Rigney can kiss my ass. I read the first 6 or 7 books and then had to wait years for the rest of them to come out, and last I looked he was on like number 12 or something. I tried to go back and re-read the first ones, and I found that they just didn't captivate me like they did the first time.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
thanks Berek

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
More information about Alganon through the eyes of our CEO as he messes with our Alganon Editor :): http://www.alganon.com/news-detail/id/224

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
I don't know sounds like the WoW alliance vs. horde concept.

Last edited by Salohcin Dragon; 06/04/09 09:19 AM.

Former KGB Member
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard