KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 42 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,033,784 Trump card
1,342,102 Picture Thread
480,137 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#19725 04/14/07 05:37 AM
V
Vipir Offline OP
OP Offline
V
System requirements?
A general rule of thumb has been that if you can play the single player game Oblivion and have a cable modem or something nearly as fast/faster you should be able to play this at least on minimum requirements. The game is designed to work with Windows Vista and its DirectX 10, but those systems (while they boost topend performance) are not required. A recent FC interview stated that AoC's current minimum requirements are "roughly 3 ghz P4 (or equivalent), ATI 9800 / NVidia 5700 and around 1 gig memory", it went on to mention they were working to lower memory requirements.

Class breakdowns
http://community.ageofconan.com/conan/frontend/static/classlist/

- Normal
- RP Enforced
- RP-PvP with Consented PvP(same as normal RP server I guess)
- FFA PvP
- Full Loot FFA PvP
- Hardcore FFA PvP, with Full Loot, lower exp and perma death
These are the types of server's the devs have said there will be.

These are a couple of my fav odd things they have added to Conan:

WE won't nerf anything just because people whine.. but we will probably make changes if we find things unbalanced. We have very good people both in the dev team and in PQA who will help us balance the classes etc. But hopefully, most of the balancing will happen before we launch.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
With the need based system we are working on now, we can give all NPC's their own mind.. meaning they will be hungry, thirsty, sleepy etc and act accordingly to their emotions and needs. Some NPC's will avoid conflict, others will warn you not to come closer while others again will attack on sight. We are trying to make this as good looking as possible rather than having static NPC's who are just looking at you until you get close enough to fight.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
The bounty system is more of a two part deal. The bounty system which tracks the criminals and the prison system that punishes them. I should ask the trap guys about a stocks that we could put particularly bad griefers in the stocks in town so people could walk by and laugh at them.

Forums, (Athelan)

While PvP is not allowed in the safe areas there is no reason PvE cant be allowed. Using the bounty idea posted perhaps Griefers and the like through some mechanism could run to the safety of town and still have consequences for their actions.

The payback wouldnt be by the players directly but by NPC's. So lets pretend I have a perfect system designed so that placing bounties on people isnt exploited and only true griefers and not PvPers are getting bounties. When the griefer goes to a safe area he is still holding a flag on his character saying he is wanted. A group of armed NPCs approaches the character and states that he is wanted for crimes committed and a bounty lies on his head for X amount. If he tries to run or do anything the NPCs attack him. Maybe he can win, maybe he cant it could be based off the size of the bounty how many people come after him. Or perhaps you could bribe your way out of the bounty by paying the bounty + an additional amount. (This could get harder also as you had a bigger bounty).

So I get upset with some guy and decide to gank him, I do so when he is fighting a mob and I am way higher level so I am eligible for a bounty. The guy puts a bount on me of 50 gold and I run off to town. 3 NPCs approach me and I think I know I cant take them and that I dont want to have them keep coming after me so I try to bribe them. I spend 65 of my own gold to buy them off.

Now I have been killing a lot of people and I have built up a 5000 gold bounty. I run into town and a large group of 10 armed soldiers comes looking for me. No way I can fight them but to bribe them would be 8000 gold way more than I have. So they drag me off to jail or kill me. And maybe they loot the items the same as someone would in PvP. Of course this is a pretty complex way of dealing with it, you can just wait for the guy to leave safety and get him then too

Forums, (Athelan)

Just to clarify, the bounty system is meant as NPC enforcement not for players to collect off other players. So while you could be on a bounty board they will get you.

Forums, 7th September 2005, (Athelan)

At this time I do not want players to be able to collect the bounties because it opens a world of exploits. The purpose of the bounty system is to remove the safety of safe areas of the game for those who are found to be guilty of crimes against society. What people are saying and I tend to agree with Fafyrd is a completely open FFA system would make too much of the world defined by the players. I can see how that could be true and in order to grasp REH world would require a ton of rules for factions and guards and assassins etc.

Forums, (Athelan)

The bounty system I propose is not a Pvp Bounty. That can be worked out by the players no reason for us to code it. The bounty system I am working on is one that allows griefed people to put bounties on the griefer and remove the safe areas of the game for the griefer until they pay for their crimes.

Forums, (Athelan)

Players wont be bounty hunters. That has been discussed in great length. We have had some discussions and will implement something additional reward/loot wise for PvP servers.

Forums, 2nd December 2005 (Athelan)

If you are found guilty of a bounty worth crime you get a bounty this is all npc driven. Bounty hunters will come after you but you may escape initially to another country, if you become notorious enough your crimes will catch up with you eventually. You can try to bribe the bounty hunters or face a prison sentence. The sentence will not lock a character from play or stand in a box for a x number of hours. It will force the character to perform a series of hard labor quests in prison in order to be released. I'm not sure how long the worst sentences will be but I would never make it so long someone would quit, just enough that when you choose to pound someone into paste you consider if its worth it. Not that bounty's come off all kills but lets use level restriction as an example. We could either make it so you can kill anyone without penality. What happens then? High levels kill low levels for no reason and ruin (therefore grief) the low levels gameplay. Now we put in level restrictions (hardcap) low level guy stands there acting like an idiot and saying extremely rude things about your family, your guild, you whatever. Now at least myself, I would want to show the little guy a lesson and being restricted from doing that bothers me. I would rather have the choice to do it so if I choose not to because he is not worth the time or the bounty it was MY choice rather than a choice made for me by the game engine.

Forums, 15th February 2006 (Athelan)

NEW
The bounty/prison system will be in place. What qualifies as a crime is to be determined but in general this is specifically there to combat grief behavior. Now that probably wont keep you from getting beat up by 10 guys, but it will help in high level vs low level etc situations,

Forums, 6th June 2006 (Athelan)

NEW
The bounty and prison system is a two part system designed to combat the most undesirable behavior in a PvP environment. The two parts are the bounty system which is designed to track criminal behavior and dispatch NPC bounty hunters to pursue the target. These bounties may start locally (as in Cimmeria only) but can grow to be world wide. Escaping from a bounty hunter will not decrease the bounty, the only way to remove a bounty is to a) bribe the bounty hunters at a premium (perhaps guile skills could help but it wont be cheap) over the bounty amount or b) do your time in prison.

Prison is defined as an area, maybe the interior of the iron tower in Tarantia where the guilty are placed and must serve their sentence. Instead of being straight time based this is based on objectives that must be accomplished to serve their sentence. Think hard labour.

Now these sentences can never be so brutal that people must spend hours in jail doing mindless tasks. But they need to be severe enough that you question your actions before committing a crime.

The real question is what constitutes a crime?

The easiest ones in my opinion are someone much higher level killing someone of lower level.

When you get into attacking someone already engaged with a mob you get exploit material, same thing with attacking someone already low on health (plus if they are low on health because they just fought and killed your friend then you arent really griefing them)

The idea is if you were only to break the law occasionally then the bounty would be low enough you could bribe it off or do the time and killing the guy if he was a punk would be worth it, but if its just a regular joe you probably wouldnt bother.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure this will make some feel right at home

Drunken brawling is automatically switched on in bars / festivals etc when:
a) you enter such a place
b) you buy and drink an alcoholic beverage

Then, you can no longer fight with your normal abilities, spells, levels, skills etc. All normal RPG rules are totally thrown out the window, as you toss those drinks down. You are yourself, alone with your wits (or lack thereof) and a barstool in both hands. A level 1 is as powerful in drunken brawling mode as a level 80.

You swing, score and reduce the consciousness of the opponent. Drinking a lot might make you less conscious, but then again, you might chose to disregard any puny glass bottles broken over your head. How much, how fast and what you drink make you fine-tune that drunkenness. During this stupor, you actually get access to other special moves that are not available in normal combat, like nasty head butts, haymakers and so on.

If you drink the right type of beverage, you might get something called "bliss" that will reduce all damage done to you. You might also "sway" a lot more, making you harder to hit. But your "focus" and "brawling" skill might go down, along with your ability to hit. You fight, kick, brawl and pass out. It is all part of the normal life in a Hyborian bar or inn.
------------------------------------------------------------

can read about seiges, classes, game play and about everything else here:
http://community.ageofconan.com/wsp/cona...p;selected=1029

I have a high art, I hurt with cruelty those who would seek to damage me.
KGB Arch Duke
KGB Arch Duke
This is one of the differences between Darkfall and AoC. AoC wants to have more of these NPC safe areas which is not a horrible idea especially since they are implementing this bounty system, which sounds pretty cool other than the cost to bribe seems too high. But still I prefer the player run world. Let "safe" cities be ones that are either owned by very powerful guilds so no one dares to mess with them... at least not in the form of small random attacks on the town or let them be well respected merchant towns that have no real army of their own but everyone from the most evil to the most noble of guilds respect them for the goods they produce and so anyone who dares to attack them is soon fought off by an alliance of every guild that calls themselves customers of that merchant city.

"It's not enough to win... others have to lose."
-Stephen Colbert 'Colbert Report'
Hall of Fame record
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Two other things,

AOC is actually going to come out, and do you think we are up to the:

Hardcore FFA PvP, with Full Loot, lower exp and perma death?

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
V
Vipir Offline OP
OP Offline
V
yah had me till the perma death part. because no matter how much they say this game is mature rateing or even nudity on the cover of the game some inmature idoits are gonna make in the game and gank you every chance they get. Hate to keep remakeing a charcter because some bastage decides to grief.

KGB Arch Duke
KGB Arch Duke
Perma-death? AOC is perma death? That's new to me... in fact I think you're mistaken - but im too lazy to check the AOC site right now to verify.

Hall of Fame record
V
Vipir Offline OP
OP Offline
V
Servers listed for release
- Normal
- RP Enforced
- RP-PvP with Consented PvP(same as normal RP server I guess)
- FFA PvP
- Full Loot FFA PvP
- Hardcore FFA PvP, with Full Loot, lower exp and perma death

written and posted by the devs

Last edited by Ripiv; 04/18/07 04:16 AM.

KGB Arch Duke
KGB Arch Duke
They're gonna have alittle bit of everything! I can't imagine the perma death, lower exp server to ever be too much of a hit.

Hopefully Jet wasn't implying he was gonna set us up on that server. The "Full Loot FFA PvP" one sounds like more of the winner.

Hall of Fame record
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
I gree on Full Loot FFA

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Yeah FFA full loot pvp 4tw.

I'm looking forward to it.

Link Copied to Clipboard