KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Lapatous Lamu
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,357
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sini 1
Popular Topics(Views)
2,050,620 Trump card
1,346,803 Picture Thread
482,490 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#16159 03/16/07 07:38 AM
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
First, what success have you guys had running 4g of ram under Win XP x32? Most of the threads I read about it say 'Win only recognizes 3.25g' or 'Win recognizes it all, but 0.75 is reserved for kernel use' or some crap.

I would like to put 4g on my new system instead of 2, but obviously if I won't get the extra performance then what's the point?

Secondly, if it does indeed run 4g, have any of you guys had any luck finding a good set of 2x2g dual channel 800Mhz DDR2 sticks? The only ones I can find are from G.Skill, Giel, or Kingston. Not a lot of options.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
If you don't plan on the jump to a 64 bit operating system, don't bother with 4GB of Ram. A 32 bit operating system will not ( read that cannot ) take advantage of it. On a related note, many motherboards will drop your clock speed down if you fully load it up with memory sticks. Keep it in mind.

The ONLY way Windows can see 3GB or Ram or more on a 32 bit operating system is via the use of the /3GB flag in your boot.ini file. Even THEN, only those programs written to actually utilize that much RAM will be able to take advantage of it.

Bottom line, if you're not going to do a 64-bit OS, don't bother with taking your Ram past the 2GB mark ( 3GB max IF your motherboard doesn't whack the FSB after loading up on ram sticks )

KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
So even with XP Prof x64 my apps won't utilize all 4g? (Namely Vanguard)

Also I've heard it can be a real headache trying to find x64 bit drivers.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

So even with XP Prof x64 my apps won't utilize all 4g? (Namely Vanguard)

Also I've heard it can be a real headache trying to find x64 bit drivers.

The 64-bit OS would address 4G+ of RAM, but the application may not (as Daye mentioned).

Finding 64-bit drivers for OLD hardware can be a headache, but just about all current development does 64-bit drivers as well (sometimes a bit later than 32). Keep in mind also, that many system-level tools would also be required to be 64-bit (such as anti-virus/firewall software).

I guess it really depends on what hardware/software you plan on attaching to the new system.

Side Note: Vanguard has a LOT of way to go for system optimization for 32-bit (SLI and multi-processors) before they start adding >3GB and 64-bit.

KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Well I figure if I already bought the 4g ram, I might as well go all the way and buy the x64 XP and anti-virus software. Anything else I load on this machine will be pretty much games or mp3s.

I've got a laundry list of little things I still have to buy like zip-ties. lol All in all, it's been a ton of fun so far building it. =) Slapped the 8800 gtx in last night. Man that card is heavy!

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Well I figure if I already bought the 4g ram, I might as well go all the way and buy the x64 XP and anti-virus software. Anything else I load on this machine will be pretty much games or mp3s.

I've got a laundry list of little things I still have to buy like zip-ties. lol All in all, it's been a ton of fun so far building it. =) Slapped the 8800 gtx in last night. Man that card is heavy!

Nice! I'm going to get one also.. little later this year when more DirectX 10 support is in games.

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Quote:

Quote:

Nice! I'm going to get one also.. little later this year when more DirectX 10 support is in games.

Oh yeah I forgot about that. VG doesn't support dx10 yet.

Update: Got the box running, but got tripped up with the x64 key my friend gave me. It's a legit key, but could be pre-set as used since it's from a Dell box he's not using anymore.

I'll see if I can get some pics. I've never had a machine as nice as this one. =D The cabling is a nightmare, matched with the insane 25cm side fan and collosal cpu fan I installed. lol

KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Ok over the weekend I got my machine up and running with a proper OEM XP x64 copy, but we also had a pretty packed weekend, so I had almost no game time. =/

I did have a chance to pop in just to see what I could do. With a 768m 8800 card and 2x2g of ram on balanced settings, I am getting a sustained 90+fps. NINETY!! lol WOOT! I AM GOD! lol

So I'll be firing up big bertha this week to get back into the action! Viva el KGB!

Link Copied to Clipboard