So can I get a "no bullshit" answer on what you honestly think would help out this situation?
I stated it number of times, but here it is one more time:
1. Comprehensive database of all legal gun owners - just like cars every gun has to be registered. Just like with your tax returns, this database doesn't have to be public. Comprehensive database of all manufactured guns and all guns in the dealership - this should include ballistics but only for new guns.
2. Mandatory insurance for all gun ownership covering any and all public and third-party costs associated with gun use. If you accidentally discharge your gun into the ceiling and cops have to check up on you - your insurance will get a bill. This will create financial pressures on owners to secure and safely operate their guns and on gun manufacturers to improve weapon safety. If your gun is stolen - you still on the hook for up to N (~5ish) years for any crime.
3. Mandatory gun operator license that has to be renewed - safety course, criminal background check, and medical condition exclusion list. No license, no legal guns.
4. Any transaction, person to person, gun show or dealer, has to be registered with both parties demonstrating license and proof of coverage and registering with #1.
5. New government service that allows citizens dispose of the unwanted guns free of charge. (many states already have this)
6. All gun insurance includes % contribution to victim's fund, if gun is past stature of limitation you can recoup costs from here. Government initializes this fund with initial registration fee imposed all new and existing firearms.
Last but not least - if a crime committed with your gun, you are automatically considered an accessory, unless you can demonstrate that you had not way to notify police of a theft and/or was unaware of it (e.g. house got broken into while on vacation).
With this in place - I wouldn't even oppose private ownership of machine guns, that is if you can afford to pay insurance premium and have a gun operator license.
Overall - if I walk on the street and get hit and mangled by the car, I have insurance and owner to go after for damages. If I get shot by a gun, then I am SOL. This should change.