I'd like to add that the loss of a guilds Identity is a bigger issue then most people would think, and it happens very easily and is a deceptively slow process which gradually tears away small pieces of the guild. CQ had this problem as could be seen in COS. If it were not for a select few CQ members being ever vigilant to the point of heroic in thier accomplishments, most people would never have heard of CQ, let alone even known that CQ built COS and had guided it's growth primarily.

The way I see avoiding such problems is
1. Mastery of Game
Which is pretty self explainitory, though many guilds half-ass it and begin an alliance before thier ready. A guild needs to be fully operational in game first and foremost. If I ask KGB how many of thier members would be playing in game XXX could you even answer that question for certain? No you couldn't, and since that is an unknown factor at this point it is important note that for a guild to lead an alliance and retain it's identity you will need maximum participation.

2. Establish Identity
This is the important point in game where through play the guild becomes known for thier gaming qualities. Such as Guild XXX are great role players, Raid leaders, and helpful, Or Guild XXX are cutthroat mercs, great pvp'ers, and smack talkers

3. Establish Presence
This is where the guild is out there, seen by all, everywhere and into everything heavily grping xp'ing. Maybe at this point many of the guild are working from the same staging areas and are well above the games learning curve.

4. Establish Power Base
Self explainatory, get a home or keep. If not a part of game design then continue from the same staging areas

5. Establish Relationships
Make friends AND enemies, but through these relationships is the alliance, and let me stress this very much. ENEMIES MAKE GREAT ALLIES! Though as a personal note I would be cautious in pursuing this option for this is a deep area for betrayal. You must know and get along with the guilds in question as if they were your best friend to keep betrayal to a minimum. One of CQ's tenents in the early days was that all members in the guild are family, all members have a say, and all could be heard. This mentality translated well into alliances, and help forge strong unions.

6. Establish Code of Conduct
This is mostly directed at each individual guild, but equally applies to the alliance also and it references the theme the alliance and the guilds in it are to take. Is your guild the Heavy Infantry or is it the Lightning strike force, perhaps siege masters or Walled defense force?

7. Establish Policy
Drawing up the laws by which the alliance abides to, the resposibilities and obligations of each guild within, how recruiting is handled, tithes, donations, dues for upkeep of things within game. Shops and businesses, property. Requests for help, ROE's etc..

8. Establish Alliance
Self explainatory

9. Propose Terms
Division of loots, resources and who is in charge of who

10. Consolidate Power

Sorry I got side tracked many times while writting this, much of it is out of context with other parts, and more then likely makes no sense in certain areas. I also understand that the order in which I have laid out things may or may not be ideal, and each description may be innacurate with what it was meant to describe. I'm sure none of this isn't something your leadership hasn't already considered and has at this point already discussed at great length.

Last edited by Drakiis; 09/17/06 12:56 PM.

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]