KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,358
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sini 2
Popular Topics(Views)
2,064,975 Trump card
1,350,089 Picture Thread
484,473 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
I would do to Google the same as what I did with Yahoo when it would not let me look my free transgender, cross dressing pron. I dropped them, started useing google. When google starts to keep me from looking for what I want, I go to the next website that won't block it. The same applies to any other type of searching I do. This opens it up where comptetion within the market keeps it open.

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

I know what the alternative looks like... it looks like the internet that currently exists where less than 50$ can rent me a server to stream whatever I want.

It looks like the current internet where I pay $75 or so a month for 30+ real Mbps down and 5 up... where my latency to most game servers is under 40ms.

As opposed to the Net Nuetrality world where online FPS gaming would all but cease to exist because the govt outlawed network prioritization except for lawfully approved uses like medical videoconferencing because it would be "favoritism".

Yeah.. Twitter and co *could* get together anddecide to censor whatever they want. And you know what happens in a free market when a communication provider/web portal/search engine decides to start providing sub-par results? Other people take the invitation to open competing businesses.

The internet has worked precisely because it hasnt been regulated to death. Not that the govt hasnt meddled in some areas.

But in many respects we have already seen what you describe - major media deciding they dont like one political platform or another. So we get sites like The Blaze, Drudge Report, Salon, etc,etc.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Derid #105034 09/17/12 05:55 AM
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Derid

As opposed to the Net Nuetrality world where online FPS gaming would all but cease to exist because the govt outlawed network prioritization except for lawfully approved uses like medical videoconferencing because it would be "favoritism".

/boggle

Start a new thread, lets talk about Net Neutrality.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

If you really want to. I actually read the white papers on it and the proposals.... it honestly pisses me off, unlike most topics I randomly digress on.

Basically it boiled down to a scheme hatched by Google and Friends to use the govt to strongarm ISPs into giving them unfettered license to shovel out as much shit as possible in a price controlled environment.

Controlled prices for Google and the content providers that is, not for the consumers who buy ISP access.

And yes, in the actual proposals prioritizing type of data is outlawed in many scenarios.

Obviously the pro-net neutrality op/eds did not bother to focus on this aspect. They simply blew a lot of bullshit.

Oh, and Fuck Google.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Derid #105043 09/17/12 06:31 AM
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Sure, fuck Google, but not for the reasons of Net Neutrality. I really like to hear your POV on it, so please start a new thread.

[Linked Image]
Cheerio Offline OP
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
in a free market, if all the media providers decided to outlaw the republican party, some other media would appear. this is because there is a market for the republican brand. this has already happened. when conservatives were pushed out of tv and the newspapers, talk radio exploded. when the internet came into wide usage, conservatives leapt at it. now they are taking over twitter. wheres the liberal twitchy.com? doesnt exist, because libs dont need it. they have the magazines, the tv, the newspapers.

net neutrality is much more worrysome. imagine if some bureaucrat decides all talk of illegal immigrants is racist, thus hate speech, thus banned?

all that discourse would vanish, and since the govt would control the internet, we would be like pirate radio or something, always on the run from the man.

KGB Darkfall
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard