I tend to agree with you Wolf, what I am in general disagreement with - is the prevailing attitudes that there should be no path to citizenship, that the borders need tightened, that everyone needs papers.. and so forth.

But on this topic, so many Americans say that they want the illegals out, and want them to stay out. That is the part I do not understand.

One of the few things Bush wanted to do that I thought actually made some sort of sense, was immigration reform and path to citizenship/green card. However the conservative body politic shot that down right quick, and still maintains the same stance in the current GOP primary.

I just can not comprehend it, our economy depends on cheap labor. We have insane unemployment levels, just counting those who are still actively reporting to the Dept of Labor and looking for work (ie: official figures)... getting rid of cheap labor will not help.

Cheap labor creates white collar jobs. It gives white collar folks people to manage, it lets a business make a profit so they need an accountant, and a receptionist, and clerical support, and so on and so forth. So many businesses just cannot compete with foreign producers if denied access to cheap labor.

You are right that its shitty how illegals who might not contribute fairly in terms of taxes receive services - and I agree. But I just cannot fathom why so many want to chase away the cheap labor, instead of paving the path for them to start paying taxes.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)