Sorry to rob Senator Owain yet again, but I think this post hits it right on the head:

Quote:

Taxman and I were talking about that just today, comparing the current crop of MMOs with past offerings. Games like Warhammer, like WoW and like Conan are nice places to visit, but they are not where you would want to live.

Tax sent me this link to an interview in Wired with Richard Garriot, creator of the original Ultima series, which led to the best MMO ever released, IMHO, Ultima Online. An interesting quote from the interview:

Quote:

I've got a really strong affinity for the type of game that is represented by Ultima Online," he explained. "No one has gone back and followed up on that. Most MMOs since then have become more combat-oriented, and less of a virtual world; a place where you live.

In UO, we'd frequently log on, and just hang out in game with friends, either in town, or at the guild house, or in a tavern, drinking virtual beer. People got married in game, tournaments were held in game, treasure hunts were held in game. All sorts of events happened all the time.

Ive NEVER seen that kind of thing happening in any MMO since, because they are all the same quest driven, level grinding crap started in Everquest and perfected in WoW, and used by just about every MMO released in the past 8 years or so.

I'm really hoping we can get back to a world where we can LIVE, and not where we just work. Maybe we will find it in Darkfall, and maybe not. All I know is that I'm tired of grinding levels and chasing quests.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter