The first DirectX 10 game I plan on taking in... EVE Online! of course!

I expect the Vi$ta launch will be similar to XP in that new software will be optimized for it, while older software will not be happy at all running under it (it will be buggy/slow if it works at all). So there will be games that support both Vi$ta (Dx10) and XP (Dx9) - and some that demand Dx10 (likely mostly Micro$oft published games). If you want to play those Dx10 games, you will have no choice but to go Vi$ta *cue evil/maniacal laughter*

Similar to the initial release of XP, there will be an "awkward time" while the software adjusts to the platform. So for the next few years my rig will likely have a selective boot between 2 hard drives, one configured with XP (for older games/software/compatibility) and one with Vi$ta (for the few new games that require it).

Vi$ta IS very pretty - but it likely won't be my main OS until ALL of the software I use runs WELL under it. And as Derid said, perhaps the more-likely option is that Vi$ta is just an awkward stage and we are truly looking for is the NEXT OS beyond Vi$ta. ... NeXT OS? Oh yea that became MacOS X!

As "exploitable" as the "windows OS" has become, I may be ONLY browsing the Internet from a Virtual Machine (VMWare/etc). Especially after my recent personal experiences with a keylogger attack have made Micro$oft's response to exploits less than rosy.

Taxman

"Any group is weaker than a man alone unless they are perfectly trained to work together."
- Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers