The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/25/06 08:06 AM
Ok guys, its that time to get my new machine. I have about 1.5k in budget. Just need the CPU, so give me some ideas and links. Want to buy in the next 30 days.
Posted By: Slinger Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/25/06 08:13 AM
What are you going to play on it? Nothing worth upgrading for on the market right now, I don't think... I'm not one to give expert advice on what to throw in your computer, but I would personally wait until I had a reason to upgrade, then when it was time all the stuff that's new today will have dropped in price.
Posted By: Raekwon Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/25/06 10:02 AM
Sorry, not much knowledge on CPUs... since I own stock in AMD i'll of course suggest that you buy a AMD chip
Posted By: Arcain Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/25/06 10:41 AM
ill recomend waitin for the christmas sales in about 2 weeks and seeing whtas up for grabs
Posted By: Raekwon Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/25/06 12:08 PM
Well this weekend is the Thanksgiving sales, oh wait I see you're in Canada, LOL. Down here in the States is our Thanksgiving time and its tradition for all the stores to hold huge sales during the following weekend.
Posted By: Owain Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/25/06 02:06 PM
I just bought a new rig myself. I based my purchase solely on Taxman's recommendations: He handed me a list, and said, "If it were me, I'd by THIS", and it's a sweet set up.

Ideazon Gaming Keyboard

Win XP Pro, includes discount for Vista, when released.
Cooler Master Mid Tower

GigaByte Motherboard

GForce 7600GT Graphics card. This card is a placeholder until a Vista capable card with DirectX 10 support is released.

Cooler Master 550 W power supply

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi ExtremeMusic sound card.

Logitech G5 6 Button Laser Mouse

Plextor 16x DVD Burner

CoolerMaster CPU Cooler

2 GByte Corsair DDR2 SDRAM system memory

250 GByte Western Digital 3 GB/sec 7200 RMP SATA hard drive

Intel Dual Core Duo 2.8 GHz CPU

This system, along with a VX2235wm 22" ViewSonic flatscreen LCD monitor I got from buy.com ran me just a bit under $2000, which is a bit above the price you listed, but it is a solid configuration with room for growth. If I wanted to go nuts, I could drop another 2 GBytes or so of RAM in, and go with a Quad Core processor, but for now, I think this is sufficient
Posted By: Raekwon Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/25/06 03:00 PM
If you're buying a new comp why get DDR2 ram when there's DDR4
Posted By: Derid Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/25/06 11:44 PM

Solid build there Owain.

Jet thats a good build, since you dont need monitor and could probably cut out the X-Fi SB sound card, would bring you down a tad closer to your 1500 mark.

You would also do well with a AMD 5000 or equivelant, and substitute the board and CPU and bring it down a tad further.
Posted By: Mordeloth Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/26/06 12:28 AM
honestly if it can wate jet wate, with vista and all that commin out just save some more money to increase the budget then build a monster for darkfall
Posted By: Derid Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/26/06 01:22 AM

Vista should be avoided.

XP x64 is the best OS MS ever made, or probably will make.

Vista is a bunch of overhead, and DRM chains.
Posted By: pawnseye Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/26/06 03:10 AM
well, vista is going to be unavoidable sometime down the road with dx10 going to be available only for it, so if you can get a copy of xp with a voucher, do it.
Posted By: Heidi Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/26/06 03:30 AM
RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black SECC STEEL ATX Mid Tower

ASUS P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe Socket T (LGA 775) NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX Intel Motherboard

2 eVGA 01G-P2-N592-AX GeForce 7950GX2 1GB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Dual GPU Video Card

Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W Power Supply with Three 12V Rails

Western Digital 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s

NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI

Acer AL1916Fbd Black 19" 2ms (GTG) LCD Monitor

Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz LGA 775 Processor

Mine
Posted By: Fleeting Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/26/06 10:31 AM
If you do want to upgrade to vista with a voucher then you probably want to get windows xp media center on your PC and not windows xp pro.

Windows xp pro upgrades to windows vista buisness
windows media center upgrades to windows vista home premium

For most gamers and people who like media features, vista home premium is the better option.

You'd be best to check the Microsoft site though and decide which version is best for you.

For the CPU I agree with Owain. Intel is the best bang for your buck right now and the E6600 is a very good processor at a very good price. Certainly one of the best price/performance processors.

Heidi's PC kicks ass but unfortunatly you arn't getting anything like that for $1500. I'm going to something sweet and saying sod the budget myself sometime in the next few weeks. Hopefully with one of Nvideas new direct x 10 cards the 8800.
Posted By: Taxman Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/26/06 04:34 PM
Actually the target for Owain's build was $1500, so I know it falls into that range. I wouldn't spend a lot on a video card, as DirectX 10 will be the way to go, and the ONLY DX10 card out now is VERY spendy. More models and lower prices to follow after Christmas I would assume.

Unless someone comes up with a hack for DirectX10 to get it to work in XP x64, Micro$oft will be dragging gamers into Vi$ta, (kicking and screaming maybe).

On the 64-bit front, it's pretty pathetic that many of us have 64-bit CPU's but the OS/drivers/software are dragging ass. I tried XP x64 late last year, couldn't get much to run on it at all. Just my 2-cents.
Posted By: Derid Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/27/06 01:53 AM

XP 64 had some issues. It now has many fewer issues, largly because driver support has caught up. I dont think there will be any Vista-only games for quite some time, I doubt there will even be much that uses DX10 for at least 2 years.There will be a couple pioneers of course, but im not seeing DX10 OS support as anything too important.

By the time people "really" want it, I think it will be time to upgrade again anyhow. In any case, cross that bridge when you come to it I say.

If your not getting a GF8800 DX10 card, no reason to get Vista in any case.
Posted By: Slinger Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/27/06 07:01 AM
I really can't wait for Google to take over the entire computer industry so I don't have to worry about all this Microsoft bullshit... XxXxXXXXXXXxXXXxxxxXxX hate rage rage rage hate omg die MS!
Posted By: Dcengr Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/28/06 03:02 AM
If you can wait until the beginning of the year, go for the quad core machines with a DX10 capable vid card.

Prices on quad core machines with DX10 cards will come down dramatically by feb. of next year.

The performance difference can be as much as 2x today's machines. I am waiting until about then for my next machine, and ofcourse VISTA with it.

Its annoying, ofcourse. Theres a few games out now (medieval total war 2, flight sim 10) that I wouldn't mind getting into, but a quad core with geforce 8800 gtx will run those games at 1600x1200 at 30+ fps, which is what I want.
Posted By: nethervoid Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/28/06 03:35 PM
I wonder if they'll have another OS out before XP is useless. I mean you can still run 2000 and be fine. Which then means couldn't you skip from XP to whatever's after Vista?
Posted By: Owain Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/28/06 03:47 PM
Quote:

I wonder if they'll have another OS out before XP is useless. I mean you can still run 2000 and be fine. Which then means couldn't you skip from XP to whatever's after Vista?

If you do that, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of video cards that use DirectX 10. Taxman sent me a link to a good article that covers some of the improvements that DirectX 10 will bring to the table. Read it here.

There is a lot of techno-babble in the article, but it does appear that DirectX 10 graphics cards will be uber, and you can only do DirectX 10 under Vista.

Resistance is futile...
Posted By: Taxman Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/28/06 10:34 PM
The first DirectX 10 game I plan on taking in... EVE Online! of course!

I expect the Vi$ta launch will be similar to XP in that new software will be optimized for it, while older software will not be happy at all running under it (it will be buggy/slow if it works at all). So there will be games that support both Vi$ta (Dx10) and XP (Dx9) - and some that demand Dx10 (likely mostly Micro$oft published games). If you want to play those Dx10 games, you will have no choice but to go Vi$ta *cue evil/maniacal laughter*

Similar to the initial release of XP, there will be an "awkward time" while the software adjusts to the platform. So for the next few years my rig will likely have a selective boot between 2 hard drives, one configured with XP (for older games/software/compatibility) and one with Vi$ta (for the few new games that require it).

Vi$ta IS very pretty - but it likely won't be my main OS until ALL of the software I use runs WELL under it. And as Derid said, perhaps the more-likely option is that Vi$ta is just an awkward stage and we are truly looking for is the NEXT OS beyond Vi$ta. ... NeXT OS? Oh yea that became MacOS X!

As "exploitable" as the "windows OS" has become, I may be ONLY browsing the Internet from a Virtual Machine (VMWare/etc). Especially after my recent personal experiences with a keylogger attack have made Micro$oft's response to exploits less than rosy.
Posted By: JetStar Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/29/06 03:16 AM
Well guys,

It sounds like I should wait till after the Holidays? Is that the best option? I could go to 2.5k if I wait till February.
Posted By: Fleeting Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/29/06 08:22 AM
yes then I'd wait.

Given the choice of a 1.5k machine now or a 2.5k machine in 3 months I think all of us would chose the later.

You will be able to build/buy a nice pc with that budget that will let you enjoy games at a good resolution and high graphical settings for years.

Waiting should also mean the more mid range direct x 10 cards are out as well as competition from ati which should bring prices down.

You will also be able to make a more informed choice about vista then (although i guess it's possible that once vista releases you won't be able to buy a pc with xp)

You will be able to do away with all the comprimises that you would have had with 1.5k ie you can get a great graphics card, a nice soundcard, good ammount of ram etc etc.

The main reasons to wait imo though is for the extra money so if you could find the money now and are around to get full use of a new PC then I probably wouldn't wait. There is always something new just around the corner but we've recently had the launch of the great intel cpu's as well as very nice nvidea graphics cards so you can build a pc now without too much worry that it will be quickly out of date.

There are a few things to think about before decideing what to buy though, are you building yourself? or buying prebuilt?, do you care what the PC looks like? There are some really sexy allumium cases for a few hundred bucks or will you stick the case under the desk and not care? Other than gaming what else will you do with the pc? what about overclocking? do you plan too? as motherboard choice etc is more important if you want too.

I'd get something like : - (you said in your first post you just need the cpu, I'm assuming you mean you just need the pc and not a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc)

Case – Anything from $50 - $350 (you need to decide yourself what looks good to you, what I find sexy you may find ugly. Thought’s even change as you age, I’m sitting with an alienware next to me that 3 ½ years ago I thought looked amazing now I’m older I find it tacky and can’t wait to replace it with something nicer). I’m going with a Silverstone TJ-07 myself at $339. But I’m assuming $200 for this spec for you.
Powersuply - $150
CPU – Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 - $459
Better CPU cooling - $60
Graphics card – Nvidea 8800GTS (direct x 10 card) - $450
Motherboard – Nvidea Nforce 680i - $250
Hardrive – 320GB Hardrive - $76
Memory – 2GB Corsair - $292
Sound Card - Creative sound blaster extreme music - $92.99
DVD burner - $30
OS – Windows xp media center with free upgrade to vista home premium in January - $110

That comes to $2170, you can then buy a nice widescreen monitor, new keyboard and mouse etc if you want too.

Or if you want an even better PC change the graphics card to a top of the range 8800GTX which will add about $200 more and add another $100 to get a sexy case. I hear very good things about the new version of office for windows vista too, so maybe you will want that. I hear it’s the first time buying a new version of office is actually worth it.

You will certainly end up with something close to a dream pc for $2500

Don't buy based on my spec though that was just a quick idea of what I'd buy with $2.5k, if you decided you wanted to buy now let us know and we can make a better and more careful job of it with links and decideing on the best brands etc.

Almost forgot [insert British whine here about how much more PC you get for your money than we do]
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/29/06 12:19 PM
That optimus keyboard that never seems to come out :O
Posted By: JetStar Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/29/06 04:12 PM
My brother just bought the new Dell 30 inch LCD. Its totally cool.
Posted By: Fleeting Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/29/06 04:27 PM
Quote:

My brother just bought the new Dell 30 inch LCD. Its totally cool.

Very nice, it's about $1500 though isn't it? and even more expensive here in the UK.

You need a bleeding edge pc to take full advantage too probably SLI as it has a very high native resolution.

Still bet it looks fantastic.
Posted By: Taxman Re: New JetStar Gaming Rig - 11/29/06 08:33 PM
If the system you have is working well now with the games that you play, then hold on for a bit. If not, get system now (and don't spend a ton on the Gfx card) but when building it plan for getting a new Gfx card next year. Oh, and make sure that the power supply you purchase will be adequate for the "next year" solution.

Owain and Paveway actually "NEEDED" a new system (hell they needed one last year)! But the systems that I put together for them specifically were tuned for them buying a new Gfx card next year when the Dx10 stuff comes down a bit.
© The KGB Oracle