Originally Posted By: Derid
While you seem to see the concept of it being a short step to killing anything we want, I guess I see the concept another pretext for govt to stick its guns in peoples' faces based on an arbitrary opinion as the larger problem. Further filling our overloaded prisons with alleged abortion doctors, and women who miscarried does not strike me as a tenable solution.

But in the larger scheme of things, the well off will always have access to abortions. Forcing the less well off to take their abortions underground I do not think will really improve things. Nor will a glut of children that the parents and govt are both incapable of caring for properly. I think it would just exacerbate our existing problems.

I think we have a lot of fixing to do in other areas, before we start meddling with the abortion status quo.

I think the best approach that does not infringe on anyones rights , feed the corrupt police state/prison industry, or cause sudden societal upset is for pro lifers to simply spread their message to convince people not to abort. To spend their own effort adopting where needed, and to spread the word on adoption and such.

Convincing individuals to make the "right" decision, is always better that using a gun to force an opinion on someone.
By in large I agree with you. One reason I keep harping on this is because Sini is an advocate for having the government pay for abortions. It is no more ok for the government to use its force to take my money to pay for abortions than it is for the government to use its force to tell people what to do. I advocate for the extreme opposite because I hope to find a compromise somewhere in the middle, where I can be happy with it. If I start from the middle then the compromise ends up somewhere that I'm not going to be happy with.

Ultimately, I'd like to see this issue resolved on a state by state basis, then you can live where you like the rules and avoid the places where you don't.

We do have a myriad of other issues to solve while tackling this one, but I think we allow any one of those issues to sit by the wayside at our own peril. The other side isn't going to leave any of them alone, and they have massive machines to drive their agenda. I am back in school after a 15 year career and I can tell you that, while I remember there being some campus organizations in 1994, there weren't nearly as many as there are now and they all range from center-left to pinko-commie. If we let any one issue sit while we work out all the other problems, then by the time we get around to dealing with it, the vast majority of the country will be so desensitized to the issue that they won't listen to advocates for change.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]