The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/28/08 05:59 AM
I am going to send out another General call to arms to all members on 1/5/2009. I would ask that you contact any fringe members and let them know we are going for full participation on the 1/22/2009 launch.

I am also going to start some informal VENT meetings on Fridays starting 1/9 to launch. All are welcome to come and discuss ideas and plans.

I plan to start to meet with DFO leadership also to begin organizing and getting ready.

This is the big one folks! Lets all hope for the best.

You can help be rounding up any of your gaming friends, getting them in and involved.

To be honest, even if we have a 80 to 100 member start, we are not going to be able to compete with some of the larger alliances that have been forming. We are going to be more like a fringe guerilla group at first, and will do the best we can to bolster our numbers and build a home.

The European launch will be a sandbox for us until the North American servers launch. At that time, we will all move to a single server, and hopefully have a great head start.

Your thoughts and ideas are welcome.
Posted By: Owain Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/28/08 06:24 PM
My thoughts on our beginning in Darkfall reminds me very much of how the KGB began on Siege Perilous, outnumbered and out gunned. That is an important period in KGB history that should serve as our example. If we can do as well in Darkfall as we did on Siege Perilous, we will be doing very well, indeed. It won't happen over night, but if we persevere, it will happen.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/28/08 08:53 PM
Many of our enemies will be fighting each other as well as us. In fact, it couldn't hurt to incite issues between one enemy and another and then mop the floor with them while they're diverted.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/28/08 09:30 PM
Quote:

Many of our enemies will be fighting each other as well as us. In fact, it couldn't hurt to incite issues between one enemy and another and then mop the floor with them while they're diverted.

Some GSS stuff :-)
Posted By: Bardaji Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/28/08 09:32 PM
We have enemies? Identified, will be coming to DFO, want to ownz some KGB enemies?
Posted By: Syloc Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/30/08 05:39 AM
With the lack of a sustained beta, I'm of the mind that this will be a different kind of release. Then again, if players are treating the EU release as a "beta" type atmopshere, this may prove to our advantage. I've always felt, especially in PVP MMOS, that beta and inital release have, most of the time, dictated the stronger alliances and powers. We can use the EU release to identify friends and what not, at the very least, see who's up and coming and who to watch out for.

In any case, like in the recent MMORPG release, the majority of guilds that we see in release won't be around months later, especially in a no holds bar atmosphere in DF, with full loot. I wouldn't be surprised that, 3 months into the game, half the guilds we see out there will have already disbanded.

Establishing a "core" group of players, along with sustained recruitment; should be our priority imho.
Posted By: Derid Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/30/08 05:54 AM

Yeah establishing our own organization and discipline are all I really care about. We need to get our own house in order, and all opportunities will come through that.

If we kick ass, that gives us strength in negotiations, if we suck ass, alliances will just make us beholden to others.

We might not go for a land-grab off the bat though, until I am confident we are capable of holding on to it, but I am looking at long term success.

Since DFO will likely only have one or two servers per continent, the number of established guilds present will be a lot larger than most games/launches. But apparently the world size/amount of resources available are also more plentifull.

I think it will be a launch unlike others.... unless it lags like shit and crashes to hell and back.. in which case it will be a launch like all the rest.

Of course things can and will change as more info becomes available...
Posted By: Syloc Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/30/08 07:52 PM
City location and the "land grab" is something that would be important to figure out during this EU release, though. Hopefully it's not like Shadowbane, where you could be screwed if you missed the TOL plants on the key locations.

It doens't sound like it's like that, but we'll find out during EU release soon enough i guess.

I do wonder about lag. If it's one huge continent, what happens when everyone fights in huge battles? Especially with no stress test, we don't know.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/30/08 07:52 PM
Just a thought here, for everyone to ponder. Derid and I both agree that I want KGB to hold it's own. We will not "Sub" to another organization. I would rather see KGB as a Guerilla organization than just a pawn or a rook in the big picture.
Posted By: Demoyn Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/30/08 08:02 PM
I feel that the biggest issue that KGB had on Siege Perilous was that we came in talking crap that we couldn't back up on the field. I don't know much about how KGB progressed afterwards, but I feel very strongly that if we're going to be a major player in this, it's going to have to start at the base level of combat.

All the politics in the world won't do much if you can't dominate when it matters, and I feel that should be our preliminary focus. Of course, your recent recruitment drive probably shored up a lot of the PvP-master aspect.
Posted By: Derid Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/30/08 08:03 PM

From what I hear there are about ~45 known clan city "zones" , which both is and isnt a lot. There are also various bindstones and even hidden bindstones scattered across the map, similar to AC lifestones.

There may be more than what is currently listed or known as well, but there are at least that many.

That being said, as I mentioned previously - everything can and will change with new information. If we locate an unclaimed clanstone that looks to be super-defensible in an area we want... we might stick out necks out and try to take it.

A lot depends on things that are currently unknown, and random bouts of opportunity that are as yet unforseen.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/30/08 08:42 PM
Quote:

I feel that the biggest issue that KGB had on Siege Perilous was that we came in talking crap that we couldn't back up on the field. I don't know much about how KGB progressed afterwards, but I feel very strongly that if we're going to be a major player in this, it's going to have to start at the base level of combat.

All the politics in the world won't do much if you can't dominate when it matters, and I feel that should be our preliminary focus. Of course, your recent recruitment drive probably shored up a lot of the PvP-master aspect.

In short, Derid, Yes, I am going to keep my mouth shut until we can back it up :-)
Posted By: Syloc Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/31/08 12:09 AM
You know, the guild i joined for Warhammer underwent this exact same problem; they were talking and acting like it was the old days in planetside (the MMO they came from), but they couldn't back it up on the field.

That being said, I think the pride that's associated with being a member of KGB, isn't a bad thing. But we should be aware of how strong we are, before we can dictate terms and conditions on other guilds.

Although I fully agree, it's better to be a smaller guild than be sucked into a huge alliance. Unless you're the lead/leading guilds of an alliance, I always found you get lost in the fold that your members always ended up associating with the alliance rather than the guild.

How we handle recruitment at the start will be key.
Posted By: Demoyn Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/31/08 12:22 AM
I agree that recruitment becomes key, but I think that if we start out strong in the field, it will breed respect and lead to good recruitment. Realistically, every single thing in a power-based MMO like UO, SB, or DFO comes down to how skilled and respected the combat members are; from the recruitment to the politics.
Posted By: Leverett Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 12/31/08 01:15 AM
Awesome thanks Jet and Derid. Certainly looking forward to this, and hoping it's a SB-like experience.

I'll be moving around launch but I will see if I can't get some folks together.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 01/02/09 09:44 AM
Posted By: ARSNL_ShareZAR Re: Moving forward, January 2009 - 01/07/09 10:15 PM
Count me in.
© The KGB Oracle