The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Sini Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/17/13 03:00 PM
Robots Could Put Humans Out of Work by 2045

Now cut this freeloading humanity of the dole and kick them to the curb.

Anyone would like me to connect the dots and spell out unemployment and wealth inequality implications of this trend?
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/17/13 03:07 PM

Please try.

Its kind of funny. Several hundred years ago, even a couple thousand - people said the same things.

Did you know that the steam engine was actually invented during the Roman era? It was not pursued because the work it would have done, was done by slaves - so whats the point?

Concept that economy self-restructures where not forcibly prevented from doing so is apparently lost on many people for some reason.

Did you know, that 98% of humanity used to work on the farm - that it required that much of the population to work in agriculture so everyone could be fed? Of course now, its only around 2%... and everyone else is of course unemployed, left with nothing to do.... amirite?
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/17/13 03:11 PM
Yes, steam engine and industrial revolution is a good analogy, so don't forget to include poverty, forced urbanization, and social turmoil that resulted from it.

I have hard times believing that we could all find work writing apps and/or in sales&marketing if robotization takes off. Our current social net system is unprepared to deal with consequences of this.

Didn't know about steam engine and Romans. Reference?
Posted By: Helemoto Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/17/13 03:24 PM
Originally Posted By: sini
Robots Could Put Humans Out of Work by 2045

Now cut this freeloading humanity of the dole and kick them to the curb.

Anyone would like me to connect the dots and spell out unemployment and wealth inequality implications of this trend?

Impossible, robot utopia is far in the future, and mankind will always find a way to work until then. Lets not forget the 3rd world countries that cant afford to buy all the shiny robots.
Robot utopia will take hundreds of years to come about in a slow replacement of human work force, which will include colonization of space, and yet humans will still have jobs.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/17/13 04:54 PM
Yes, steam engine and industrial revolution is a good analogy, so don't forget to include poverty, forced urbanization, and social turmoil that resulted from it.

I have hard times believing that we could all find work writing apps and/or in sales&marketing if robotization takes off. Our current social net system is unprepared to deal with consequences of this.

Didn't know about steam engine and Romans. Reference?

Humans have never been perfect. There are always issues. Just, finding new things to do after old tasks become obsolete has never been one. At least on a macro scale over time - macro displacement is temporary.

As for the Roman steam engine, I suggest google - was something I read about in college , current references I could conjure are going to be the same ones you conjure by typing "roman steam engine" in your browser.
Posted By: Cheerio Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/21/13 01:28 AM
Isnt robots making everything and the end of capitalism where the whole Zeitgeist thing ends up heading?

I always think of the Eloi...
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/21/13 01:11 PM
Implications of large degree of robotization is that society as it exists today, with a current flavor of capitalism, would not possible.

A portion of wealth will have to be redirected toward sustaining now unproductive segment of society that was displaced by robots. In other words, a nanny state that most of you use as a boogeyman.

How do you think US will look like with DOW at 200,000 (present day dollars) and 50% unemployment?
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/21/13 02:52 PM

If there is 50% unemployment, it will be because govt has made it impossible to create/do work.

You seem to believe that just because what some people currently do will be replaced, that they will be incapable of doing anything else of value.

I honestly cant understand that.

Though I do think it might be the case that we develop a much larger "shadow economy" where a great portion of economic activity goes "off the books".
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/21/13 04:55 PM
Re: Romans and Slave Labor

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9239354/Immigration_reform_may_spur_software_robotics
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/21/13 04:57 PM
Derid, I wish I lived in your simple world where every problem is caused by Government intervention.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/21/13 06:26 PM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/bruceupbin/2...artphones-soon/

(also in big part why I invest into IBM)
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/21/13 08:48 PM
Derid, I wish I lived in your simple world where every problem is caused by Government intervention.

Rejoice, you do actually. I am happy to bring you this good news!

Paradoxically enough, seeing govt as the problem comes from taking a much more complex view of the world.

Using doctor as analogy, you quickly realize that as opposed to the experienced wise good doc who sometimes has bad days or gets things wrongs - which is the image we are sold of govt, your problems are actually being treated by a blubbering fool with 300lbs of muscle, no fine control, whos only tool is a sledgehammer.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 12:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Derid
Rejoice, you do actually. I am happy to bring you this good news!

Well, at least I am glad you realized that this point of view is faith-based, and not empirical or scientific. A cargo cult of sorts.

Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 12:52 AM

I actually liked Franken , despite his obvious predilection for US-politi-leftism and intellectual laziness regarding economics.

Unfortunately he showed pretty quickly that he lacked either ethics or backbone, by backing Obamas unconstitutional "recess appointments"... the ones made where Congress was actually still in session.

It was pretty sad, id actually hoped he was the real deal even if I disagreed with him.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 03:28 AM
Implications of large degree of robotization is that society as it exists today, with a current flavor of capitalism, would not possible.

A portion of wealth will have to be redirected toward sustaining now unproductive segment of society that was displaced by robots. In other words, a nanny state that most of you use as a boogeyman.

How do you think US will look like with DOW at 200,000 (present day dollars) and 50% unemployment?

Your whole premise is false.
You are saying if we replaced workers with robots today, sure it would cause untold amounts of problems.
Your magical robots do not show up out of thin air to replace people. This will take a lot longer then 2045.
I think even you are smart enough to know this is a bullshit question.
There will not be 50% unemployment, if there are not enough jobs for people the people can not buy what the robots make so the robots will be turned off.

Its very easy to be a progressive when facts do not get in the way.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 03:45 AM
If your job can be done cheaper by a robot, then robots will be bought and you will get fired. Any other consideration, like who is going to buy goods it produces, is irrelevant as was made clear by outsourcing trends. Capitalism is schizophrenic this way. It is quite possible that we could automate into complete economical collapse.

Presently we do not have technology to automate on a massive scale at comparable price to salaries, but a number of recent developments rapidly changing this situation.

How this is going to play out? Well, you will have robotization putting downward pressure on all wages while putting upward pressure on unemployment. Meanwhile all productivity of this robotization will go toward owners/investors of these machines. The only way to compensate is redistribution via taxation or make-work programs maintained by monied elite.

Yes, you are right, 50% of unemployment is not going to happen overnight, unless cheap robotization also becomes available overnight, but claiming that it isn't possible is simply ignoring realities of technological progress.

Reality of modern life is that important work (e.g. innovation, design) is done by small % of society and it is easy to see that the rest of jobs can be automated.

Derid thinks that society will adjust by inventing new jobs. I disagree, we are no longer have any need for 'strong backs' nor will this change be contained to single industry allowing people to find employment elsewhere.

What are we going to do when phones are answered by robots, food grown, cooked, and served by robots, people and goods are transported by robots and construction and manufacturing is done by robots? Can we all find jobs in academia or entertainment?

Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 04:42 PM

Something else you are overlooking, is that when robots are that ubiquitous and able to do construction and such, is that we will then be able to effectively start colonizing space. Which robots will be of course used extensively for, but at the same time all sorts of new things robots wont be able to do well will crop up.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 05:14 PM
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archi...within-5-years/

Automated Data Centers
Posted By: Helemoto Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 10:32 PM
"but claiming that it isn't possible is simply ignoring realities of technological progress."

Only one of us seems to be ignoring realities of technological progress.
Thousands of years of progress have happened and many things have been automated and yet humans still have moved on to other jobs that have not lead to high unemployment.

Robots are just another machine that will advance humans to a luxury not downtrodden future.

Some of us have a good outlook for the human race others have a negative outlook.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 11:09 PM
It is quite possible that we could automate into complete economical collapse.
I stopped reading after this lunatic statement.
foil

*edit

I couldn't help myself and I went back and read the rest of your post. You really do have no idea of the concept of supply and demand do you? If no one has a job, there will be no demand, therefore no need to produce anything. Worst case scenario (in sini's world) we go back to being small agrarian society where everyone grows their own food in order to survive, and all the evil rich people will sit and stare at their useless shiny robots.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 05/22/13 11:38 PM
Originally Posted By: Kaotic
If no one has a job, there will be no demand, therefore no need to produce anything.

Yes, this would be economic collapse, wouldn't it?

Getting there - less people have jobs, more value is there in on-demand manufacturing, more pressure to automate away from fixed costs of wages.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 06/06/13 03:15 PM
Massive manufacturing facility. 115 jobs and they do not pay 10x salary for 100x productivity such facility would enable.

http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1691
Posted By: Helemoto Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 06/07/13 12:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Sini
If your job can be done cheaper by a robot, then robots will be bought and you will get fired. Any other consideration, like who is going to buy goods it produces, is irrelevant as was made clear by outsourcing trends. Capitalism is schizophrenic this way. It is quite possible that we could automate into complete economical collapse.

Presently we do not have technology to automate on a massive scale at comparable price to salaries, but a number of recent developments rapidly changing this situation.

How this is going to play out? Well, you will have robotization putting downward pressure on all wages while putting upward pressure on unemployment. Meanwhile all productivity of this robotization will go toward owners/investors of these machines. The only way to compensate is redistribution via taxation or make-work programs maintained by monied elite.

Yes, you are right, 50% of unemployment is not going to happen overnight, unless cheap robotization also becomes available overnight, but claiming that it isn't possible is simply ignoring realities of technological progress.

Reality of modern life is that important work (e.g. innovation, design) is done by small % of society and it is easy to see that the rest of jobs can be automated.

Derid thinks that society will adjust by inventing new jobs. I disagree, we are no longer have any need for 'strong backs' nor will this change be contained to single industry allowing people to find employment elsewhere.

What are we going to do when phones are answered by robots, food grown, cooked, and served by robots, people and goods are transported by robots and construction and manufacturing is done by robots? Can we all find jobs in academia or entertainment?

Thank GOD you don't run anything that involves my welfare.

Your whole premise is false.

You clearly have no idea how the world works.

You should write Science Fiction, I would love to see the horrible reviews it would get.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 06/07/13 01:41 AM
Well, Hele's political posting clearly got automated away.
Posted By: Helemoto Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 06/07/13 11:57 AM
Well, Hele's political posting clearly got automated away.

This isn't even political, and you don't even make sense.

I guess for you everything is political.
When they take the straps off to let you eat do you flap your wings to fly away.

foil
Posted By: Arkh Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 06/19/13 04:56 PM
A really good TED talk about this change: http://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_mcafee_what_will_future_jobs_look_like.html

Pay attention to the graphs around the 8th minute. The question it begs is: even with an economy of abundance where a ton of menial work is done bu robots, what to do with unqualified workers?

Should we consider them as other disabled people and give them sustenance? Should we start some kind of eugenics where only those who can get work can reproduce, getting some kind of selection back after kicking it out?
Or will transhumanism make this a non problem if we get to the point of being able to upgrade humans?

The next couple centuries should be interesting times.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 06/22/13 03:18 AM
Eugenics is not good idea even on paper, because there is no way future-proof your selective criteria. 100 years ago strong back and dim minds were in demand, now strong minds (and weak backs) are, and in another 100 years entire society might consist of cloned Derids. Even selecting against mental illness is not clearly beneficial, there is research tying a number of mental conditions to over-expression of various g - beneficial genes. (g is general measure of intelligence)

I think it is safe to assume that we want to increase g but alleles that support it have all kinds of nasty side effects. I read papers tying Flynn effect to increase in autism. What if they are correct? Lets say average IQ of American is around 98 and 2% of autism, what if selecting for g increase average IQ to 118 but also increases autism to 20% ? Can our health care system sustain such load?
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 11/04/13 04:29 AM
All around the world, labour is losing out to capital

Quote:
A falling labour share implies that productivity gains no longer translate into broad rises in pay. Instead, an ever larger share of the benefits of growth accrues to owners of capital.

Cheaper and more powerful equipment, in robotics and computing, has allowed firms to automate an ever larger array of tasks. They reckon that the cost of investment goods, relative to consumption goods, has dropped 25% over the past 35 years. That made it attractive for firms to swap labour for software whenever possible, which has contributed to a decline in the labour share of five percentage points. In places and industries where the cost of investment goods fell by more, the drop in the labour share was correspondingly larger.

Accelerating technological change and rising productivity create the potential for rapid improvements in living standards. Yet if the resulting income gains prove elusive to wage and salary workers, that promise may not be realised.

This on-going trend is direct result of automation. I have no idea what % of unemployable people (due to no work to be had) will lead to breakdown of society. Greece has 27% unemployment and seem to still maintain society, but it takes high level of social programs to do so. Great Depression in US spiked unemployment to mid-20%s. Germany during early 30s had seen 30% unemployment.

My guess is that around 30% is magical number and will lead to regime change in US. If that happens we will likely see another US civil war, possibly with nukes.

Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 11/04/13 02:32 PM
Possibly. Not with Nukes, but... some people would say that we are already in a sort of de facto civil war, albeit one without major armed conflict. Conceptually, in terms of groups of people fighting for resources using govt and media as weapons we certainly are.

The problem I see, is that cheaper capital and cheaper automation both should have made it so both were more available to the masses. This should be resulting in more spontaneous growth , and a more even distribution of both capital and labor. One prime reason being that automation reduces the effects of economies of scale, can drastically reduce initial investment threshold to produce. This in theory should be producing more localized economies.

So why is this not occuring at the rate it should?

After all, during the Industrial Revolution many people lost jobs in certain sectors. However gains were made in others. With the automation revolution, it is a matter of course that some jobs will be lost. So why are other opportunities not more readily becoming available?

Well thats a big topic, and my brain is still shot this morning. So im just gonna quote Hayek for now cause this passage immediately came to mind and possibly return to the topic after some more coffee/etc. Make of it what you will. Bold emphasis added by me.

Originally Posted By: Hayek
What led me to write another book on the same general theme as the earlier one was the recognition that the preservation of a society of free men depends on three fundamental insights which have never been adequately expounded and to which the three main parts of this book are devoted. The first of these is that a self-generating or spontaneous order and an organization are distinct, and that their distinctiveness is related to the two different kinds of rules or laws which prevail in them. The second is that what today is generally regarded as ‘social’ or distributive justice has meaning only within the second of these kinds of order, the organization; but that it is meaningless in, and wholly incompatible with, that spontaneous order which Adam Smith called ‘the Great Society’, and Sir Karl Popper called ‘the Open Society’. The third is that the predominant model of liberal democratic institutions, in which the same representative body lays down the rules of just conduct and directs government, necessarily leads to a gradual transformation of the spontaneous order of a free society into a totalitarian system conducted in the service of some coalition of organized interests.

This development, as I hope to show, is not a necessary consequence of democracy, but an effect only of that particular form of unlimited government with which democracy has come to be identified. If I am right, it would indeed seem that the particular form of representative government which now prevails in the Western world, and which many feel they must defend because they mistakenly regard it as the only possible form of democracy, has an inherent tendency to lead away from the ideals it was intended to serve. It can hardly be denied that, since this type of democracy has come to be accepted, we have been moving away from that ideal of individual liberty of which it had been regarded as the surest safeguard, and are now drifting towards a system which nobody wanted.

Signs are not wanting, however, that unlimited democracy is riding for a fall and that it will go down, not with a bang, but with a whimper. It is already becoming clear that many of the expectations that have been raised can be met only by taking the powers of decision out of the hands of democratic assemblies and entrusting them to the established coalitions of organized interests and their hired experts. Indeed, we are already told that the function of representative bodies has become to ‘mobilize consent’, that is, not to express but to manipulate the opinion of those whom they represent. Sooner or later the people will discover that not only are they at the mercy of new vested interests, but that the political machinery of para-government, which has grown up as a necessary consequence of the provision-state, is producing an impasse by preventing society from making those adaptations which in a changing world are required to maintain an existing standard of living, let alone to achieve a rising one. It will probably be some time before people will admit that the institutions they have created have led them into such an impasse. But it is probably not too early to begin thinking about a way out. And the conviction that this will demand some drastic revision of beliefs now generally accepted is what makes me venture here on some institutional invention.

Hayek, F. A. Law, Legislation and Liberty: A new statement of the liberal principles of justice and political economy (Routledge Classics) (pp. 2-3). Taylor and Francis. Kindle Edition.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 11/05/13 02:22 AM
You remind me of defiant Greenspan who still clings to "rational players acting in self interest" delusions.

Why is this not happening? Human nature. Without guillotine or the red menace keeping elite honest you have existing white collar loot and pillage process.

The same idea behind religion. Why do all existing civilizations developed religion? Why all of them have some concept of "fear of god or divine retribution"? Because all other societies failed due to insufficient level of cooperation. Humans just don't tend to cooperate at sufficient level without outside threat, even if it is imaginary.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 11/05/13 03:47 AM
Expound. At least on why I remind you of Greenspan somehow. Honestly not sure what you are trying to attack. Im not really in a combative mood today, so instead of just blasting you im gonna ask really nicely wtf are you talking about.

Every scenario I can think of to try and fit what you are saying into the context at hand has us being on completely separate pages. Even if your assertions about cooperation hold true, which is a different topic and I think there is some truth there, that doesnt create any context for your Greenspan comment.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 11/06/13 01:31 AM
Greenspan recently published a book, in this book he is trying to defend his position. All his ideology runs into the wall of empirical evidence of what actually happened.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 11/06/13 05:45 AM

And your point? Btw in Greenspan book he ate crow and said he made a mistake, that he was looking at it wrong. I have read some summaries, and while I think he is still wrong on some things he has eaten some crow on others.

My point, is you have lost the topic at hand. If you find it, and can put some context to your comments instead of repeating yourself please feel free to add to the discussion.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/07/14 02:40 PM
Digital Networks Efficiencies and Employment

Quote:
In the case of Wal-Mart, its adoption of technology to manage its supply chain at first reaped great benefits, but over time it cost competitors and suppliers hundreds of thousands of jobs, thus “gradually impoverishing its own customer base,” as Lanier put it to me.

There are two additional components to Lanier’s thesis. The first is that the digital economy has done as much as any single thing to hollow out the middle class. His great example here is Kodak and Instagram. At its height, writes Lanier “Kodak employed more than 140,000 people.” Yes, Kodak made plenty of mistakes, but look at what is replacing it: “When Instagram was sold to Facebook for a billion dollars in 2012, it employed only 13 people.”

Which leads nicely to Lanier’s final big point: that the value of these new companies comes from us. “Instagram isn’t worth a billion dollars just because those 13 employees are extraordinary,” he writes. “Instead, its value comes from the millions of users who contribute to the network without being paid for it.” He adds, “Networks need a great number of people to participate in them to generate significant value. But when they have them, only a small number of people get paid.

Interesting read.

I said this before, but if Industrial Revolution is accurate predictor, we have a couple generations of displacement, poverty, and social unrest until future generations find equilibrium point for Information Age.

Short term (our lifetime) we can look forward to unemployment, wealth inequality, social unrest, police state, revolutions... "interesting times".
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/08/14 02:34 PM

If you arent paying for it, your not the customer - you are the product being sold.

Anyhow I think you might be right, though for somewhat different reasons. After all, directly replaceable products like Kodak/film only account for a very very small overall percentage of the economy.

A better way to put it, is that humans are creatures that evolved in small communities, and human societies then proceeded to evolve to enable humans to function in larger communities. Now with the social underpinnings that enabled stability in large groups largely undermined, what we are left with is creatures that evolved in small groups living in a super-community/global community and thus completely out of their depth.

So especially people in groups without a particularly strong social structure , unless they are particularly lucky or abnormally able are left rudderless and overwhelmed.

I recall a article recently (perhaps was even you that linked it actually) regarding poorer people, intelligence and how some studies are finding the correlation exists in large part because they are literally too mentally/emotionally overwhelmed to make good decisions.

Having come to a similar conclusion myself some years ago, (though my observations dealt with political choice and awareness as opposed to finances and standard of living) I found the (very liberal leaning) study findings as highly plausible. In fact I would hypothesize that it should be taken a step further, and the effects are felt well beyond the lowest socioeconomic tiers and well into the "Middle Class" to various degrees.

Its a dangerous negative feedback loop.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/08/14 06:30 PM
I don't think there is any negative feedback loop, that is I don't buy that poverty makes one dumber. I think link is elsewhere - dumb people correlate with poverty and violence. Anyone, when sufficiently desperate, will turn to crime but dumb people are more likely to get caught. I am willing to bet that intelligence study comparing violent offenders to college-educated population would show significant difference.

Going back to the main topic - what is there to do but service when "robots are doing what used to be your job?"

I recently traveled to India and observed first-hand what overpopulation (not automation, but effects - oversupply of 'general' labor - are the same) would do to labor market.

General poverty and 9 'servers' for each producer. I had driver with a car, maid, chef, bodyguard and a guide/translator assigned exclusively to me while living out of hotel suite that was excessively large. I certainly did not need or ask for any of it, but US-priced contract allowed for the expense and locals arranged based on that $ value.

So service there was great. And cheap. And everybody was poor.

The same is coming to US.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/08/14 11:29 PM

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/poor-people-arent-stupid-just-overwhelmed-study-finds-8C11030890

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/beau...what-you-think/

Poverty may not make you literally dumber, just you may act like you are. According to the studies anyhow. I think this is an important point, when looking for points of failure on a macro level.

Also, yes more people may be in service in the future. However just because the service people in India are currently poor does not necessarily mean that all service people and all service oriented societies are doomed to the same dynamic.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/09/14 06:31 PM
does not necessarily mean that all service people and all service oriented societies are doomed to the same dynamic.

In US they certainly are, just look at attitudes toward McJobs.

I consider this another market failure point. Just because systematically it might be more efficient to congregate money in a few highly-skilled hands and throw everyone else into poverty, does not mean that such solution corresponds to the optimal well-being.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/09/14 07:09 PM
does not necessarily mean that all service people and all service oriented societies are doomed to the same dynamic.

In US they certainly are, just look at attitudes toward McJobs.

I consider this another market failure point. Just because systematically it might be more efficient to congregate money in a few highly-skilled hands and throw everyone else into poverty, does not mean that such solution corresponds to the optimal well-being.

Not all service jobs are fast food jobs. Quite a few service jobs pay very well. Even McJobs holders in the US likely have greater purchasing power than the Indians you mentioned.

Not sure why you would consider McJobbs to be a market failure though. I cant see any reason why people who serve inexpensive, unhealthy convenience items would be financially valuable in almost any context.

The systemic failure is lack of other opportunities resulting in more people needing to seek lower skilled, higher turnover (more opp to get hired) work. That seems like where the focus should be. Not on why fast food pays so little and what to do about it in the limited microcosm of fast food, but the larger picture that sees too many people needing to rely on that level of employment.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/14/14 04:26 PM
http://www.mckinsey.com/insights/high_te...ik_brynjolfsson
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/14/14 04:46 PM

Interesting article.

A couple of notes: first its interesting he made the reference to the chess matchups, where humans using computers beat the best humans and the best computers. It was actually a couple of amateur chess players.. who wrote a very usable interface. The key was they figured out a very efficient and *usable* way to interact with their chess program, which IIRC was just an off the shelf chess program on a laptop.

Second note: That type of adaptable economy has been discovered, but errors in thinking and political interest groups have combined to pull us away from it. He should pick up some Hayek or Bastiat sometime, no doubt would find it enlightening.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/24/14 01:31 AM
http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21...o-country-ready

Quote:
The prosperity unleashed by the digital revolution has gone overwhelmingly to the owners of capital and the highest-skilled workers. Over the past three decades, labour’s share of output has shrunk globally from 64% to 59%. Meanwhile, the share of income going to the top 1% in America has risen from around 9% in the 1970s to 22% today.

I am not so sure about highest-skilled workers part.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/24/14 02:28 AM
Well moreso than to the ditch diggers and burger flippers anyway.

The article has a point regarding education, but the always tricky question is how to transform govt money in education into the kinds and quality of education that will be helpful.

Instead of a BLS (Basic Living Stipend) as the author suggests, I would prefer a universal education stipend if anything. Mostly do away with "public education" which I consider a colossal failure and replace it with a public grant system especially at lower grades, and scaling up to performance based at collegiate levels. (maybe not as much of a failure as having no public education would have been, at the time it was implemented - my point being not to eliminate all public from education but rather fundamentally change the way it is implemented).

If there was a very large pool of disposable money for education, then we would see a lot more capable people competing for that money. I think one of the great challenges of the 21st century is figuring out, and gaining public acceptance of, mechanisms whereby the Hayekian model and purpose of market economics (that is, markets and demand signal to the economic world at large which things are actually desired and needed, how badly, and of what quality and amount ) with a social contract structure that enshrines a more Rawlsian conception of equal opportunity.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/24/14 05:52 PM
Public education might be a colossal failure, but private education system is thinly disguised loot&pillage that only coincidentally happen to provide education.

Back to the topic - what use does highly educated unemployed people would be? By systematic design, only top 10% will have any job security. Sure, they will be more qualified top 10% and we will do better internationally as a result, but this is not the problem we are trying to solve.

The problem is: What to do with the bottom 75% that simply not needed on production side?
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/24/14 06:49 PM

You are dealing in how things have been, not how they could be. Some private education has been as you say - but in the context of the current educational environment. Also, some private education has been quite effective.

Most public education I would say is thinly disguised loot and pillage as well. It sometimes, happens to provide some level of education. But that people like yourself come to an assumption that there is nothing for the "bottom 75%" to do, as opposed to "we have not figured out what bottom 75% will be doing, yet. But they will figure out something or be able to acquire the skills to provide value in return for value" is in fact something I attribute directly to extremely poor public eduction.

Many people have a difficult time being agile in the employment marketplace because our crappy education does not prepare them to be agile, and finding time/finance to be agile as adults is still something our society struggles with. Also as an aside, private education night classes/CEC/Massive Online Edu/etc have been probably more effective than anything else in helping alleviate the problem.

There will always be things to do, and ways to provide value as long as people are able to adapt to what the greater market needs. Education is a catalyst for that type of adaptation. If we expect people to adapt to changing market environment, we do need to make sure the tools by which people are able to do so are made available.

I for one do not buy into the "there will be nothing to do" line of thinking. When I hear that, I interpret it as the speaker saying "I do not know what the employment scenery will be like, I just know it will be different and since jobs that exist today will not exist tomorrow therefore that means there will be no/fewer jobs". Which I view as needlessly pessimistic and quite short sighted. 75% permanent unemployment will only occur if public forces contrive to stifle market dynamics.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/26/14 04:54 PM
I disagree with your "our education did not prepare them to X" argument. I think more accurate description would be "some people are not intelligent enough to be sufficiently agile" and "public system fails some people". My bet that intersection of these two groups is very significant.

The "75% permanent unemployment will only occur", the revolution will arrive way before that point. I am not talking about this in revolution as positive change, I am talking about destabilization of social order and possible collapse or extreme segmentation of our society.

Do you have a war chest big enough to move into gated fortress compounds with private guards once starving mobs turn suburbia into cannibalistic hell? I am concerned that I do not.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 01/26/14 05:57 PM

See I think you just underrate people too much and what they are capable of. While raw intellect will always play a factor, I see most peoples advantages and/or limitations as being in the way they think more so than their max thinking capacity.

I also hold max thinking capability to be informed by education particularly early education, and not totally determined by genetics.

But I do see now why you do and cannot trust any liberal market system to work. If you hold only a very small portion of the population as being capable of even tying their own shoes, then I suppose the natural humane response is some sort of totalitarian system of perpetual bread and circus.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 02/12/14 05:21 PM
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/education/2014/02/high_school_in_america_a_complete_disaster.html
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 04/29/15 06:32 PM
I was reading Forbe's article on Baltimore, and it occurred to me that this is in everyone's future.

These are just canaries in the coal mine, weakest members of society pushed down by a global trend.

Inescapable poverty -> Police brutality to keep it from spilling over -> Riots followed by more crackdowns -> Even less opportunities for impacted communities.
Posted By: Sini Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 04/28/16 11:52 PM
Another data point - global manufacturing jobs are down.
Posted By: Derid Re: Robots will do your job by 2045 - 04/29/16 08:35 PM
The difficulty as I see it, is quantifying the total job loss due to instances of bad governance. And then if you could, accurately determining which governance aspects are bad.

Theres two sides to the coin, and one side is very visible. That is the job losses.

What is less clear, is the potential missed gains. Not just from ill conceived market regulations and incentivization, but from bad trade deals.

The shrinking of the farming population from 98% to 2% didn't result in catastrophe, and mechanization in theory shouldn't either. Or maybe it will, and we will be welcoming our new robotic overlords until the Butlerian Jihad.
© The KGB Oracle