The KGB Oracle
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13206687
Remove your CC Information from your profile in Playstation Online, monitor your CC accounts, and dispute any charges you didn't make.

Sony is going to be paying through the nose for this one. Wait until they get the class action lawsuit in about 6 months and have to pay for credit monitoring for a year or two for EVERY SINGLE Playstatation Online user who had CC info in there dba.

This is why I always use a Burner CC when ever I do any online game transactions or give CC info for a monthly sub. I use either a pre-paid card, or I use my 500 buck limit burner.

Its just as much your job to protect yourself as it is Sony's job to protect your financial and personal data.
Still, if they can not protect them they should not store them.
That's like when you read about websites getting hacked which used shit method to store your pasword. You know, the one you use for all your other online things.
Or..... after paying with a credit card delete the info. When its time to pay again put the info in then delete it again. Its what I do.

If you know they keep the info then you take partial responsibility if they get hacked,because you know its possible.
The odd thing is XBOX live, is fine & a known company with security hole ridden software made Xbox.
Originally Posted By: Salohcin Dragon
The odd thing is XBOX live, is fine & a known company with security hole ridden software made Xbox.

Every piece of software has security holes or things that can be exploited. You only hear about malicious attacks on Windows operating systems because that's what hackers target. Mostly because it being the most prevailent operating system affords them the best opportunity to cause mayhem in the most efficient way.

It wouldn't disrupt businesses and homes world wide on nearly the same scale if they started attacking Apple computers.
Or if someone changed some of the random generator of the openSSH protocol for something like the debian distro.
:p

Mostly...

When 9 out of 10 scripts are written primarily to attack window based machines because most businesses use windows, and up until recently most home pc's ran windows.

With the MacOs gaining in popularity and more and more scripts being written for browsers instead of OS's, that belief doesn't hold true any more.

It's not that Microsoft is that much worse at security then everyone else, its that 9 out of 10 attacks used to be aimed squarely at MS products.

Has MS faltered in timely security updates, of course. But that doesn't mean what you believe to be true Salochin is actually the reality. Which is becoming more and more common as people stop thinking in an analytical manner before they accept something at truth.
Yea, recieved an email saying that it apperars ALL my info may have been comprimised( other than CC info) That's pretty lame in itself but If I was playing PS3 as my main gaming output atm then a week of downtime would have caused me to put a bullet in my system....
Originally Posted By: Tasorin

Mostly...

When 9 out of 10 scripts are written primarily to attack window based machines because most businesses use windows, and up until recently most home pc's ran windows.

With the MacOs gaining in popularity and more and more scripts being written for browsers instead of OS's, that belief doesn't hold true any more.

It's not that Microsoft is that much worse at security then everyone else, its that 9 out of 10 attacks used to be aimed squarely at MS products.

Has MS faltered in timely security updates, of course. But that doesn't mean what you believe to be true Salochin is actually the reality. Which is becoming more and more common as people stop thinking in an analytical manner before they accept something at truth.

Now the majority of attacks are aimed to Adobe products : Flash player and PDF reader. Which work on windows, Mac and *nix boxes.

But one big thing which hit the microsoft system before was that users always run their OS as admin on XP. You even have tutorials on how to disable the UAC. I mean, take a NetBSD box, start using it as root all day long and it will eventually do some bad shit.
I only use Windows to game, rarely I serf. I only log in to my Credit Cart Account & Bank in Linux.
Linux. The only way to surf the net imo.

This may also have an effect on any Class Action lawsuit depending on how Sony worded their contracts with end users. Normally buried deep in some EULA somewhere:

http://www.businessinsurance.com/article/20110501/ISSUE01/305019958
It is getting deep now.

100M effected accounts.

Untold CC - Personal Info out there, encrypted or not.

Now Sony is grasping for some serious pass the buck on the DoJ.

Originally Posted By: Reuters

WASHINGTON/BOSTON, May 4 (Reuters) - Sony Corp (6758.T) blamed the well-known Internet vigilante group Anonymous for indirectly allowing a hacker to gain access to personal data of of more than 100 million video game users.

"Sony now faces a large-scale cyber-attack involving the theft of personal information," Kazuo Hirai, chairman of the board of directors of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC, said in a letter to members of the U.S. Congress.

"What is becoming more and more evident is that Sony has been the victim of a very carefully planned, very professional, highly sophisticated criminal cyber attack designed to steal personal and credit card information for illegal purposes," he added in the letter to members of Congress who have launched an inquiry into the matter.

The company also said it waited two days after discovering data was stolen from its PlayStation video game network before contacting law enforcement and did not meet with FBI officials until five days later.

The theft prompted the U.S. Justice Department to open an investigation, officials said on Wednesday. [ID:nW1E7FT00X]

"The Sony matter is under active investigation. It involves personnel from the FBI and the Justice Department who are looking into the matter," U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said. "It is something we are taking extremely seriously," Holder said.

Sony said that its video game network was breached at the same time it was defending itself against a major denial of service attack by the group calling itself Anonymous.

Anonymous is the name of a grass-roots cyber army that in December launched attacks that temporarily shut down the sites of MasterCard Inc (MA.N) and Visa Inc(V.N) using simple software tools available for free over the Internet.

The group attacked the two credit card companies with "denial of service" attacks that overwhelmed their servers for blocking payments to WikiLeaks.

Sony said on Wednesday that Anonymous targeted it several weeks ago using a denial of service attack in protest of Sony defending itself against a hacker in federal court in San Francisco.

The attack that stole the personal data of millions of Sony customers was launched separately, while the company was distracted protecting itself against the denial of service campaign, Sony said.

Sony said it was not sure whether the organizers of the two attacks were working together.

The company noticed unauthorized activity on its network on April 19, and discovered that data had been transferred off the network the next day.

The PlayStation Network had 12.3 million accounts with credit card numbers globally, and about 5.6 million were U.S. accounts.

The company's general counsel gave the FBI information about the breach on April 22, the company said in the letter to the subcommittee on Commerce, Manufacturing and Trade. (Reporting by Jim Finkle and Diane Bartz; additional reporting by Liana B. Baker in New York; editing by Maureen Bavdek and Gerald E. McCormick)

SOE is affected also, so if you play a SOE game be careful.

In saying this I received an email about my SOE account (EverQuest 1,2) which said it was compromised. However, investigating the links it was a spoof and a phishing attempt so beware of ANY mails that come in looking from Sony and double check things.

I could tell near instant when they refered to me as "valued customer" instead of my name. You have to be very, very cautious not only from Sony but ANY site these days. Make sure the links your click are valid and I would recommend if possibly an email client that can help you determine that.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email client and have now nearly 10 years. It has the built in security where it will tell you it thinks this email is a SCAM and to why and in nearly all cases it's 100% accurate. At least knowing this and seeing the warning it makes me pause and check the email links further and as stated most it tells me are a SCAM it indeed is.

Beware, Be Safe..
Originally Posted By: Ictinike

In saying this I received an email about my SOE account (EverQuest 1,2) which said it was compromised. However, investigating the links it was a spoof and a phishing attempt so beware of ANY mails that come in looking from Sony and double check things.

I could tell near instant when they refered to me as "valued customer" instead of my name. You have to be very, very cautious not only from Sony but ANY site these days. Make sure the links your click are valid and I would recommend if possibly an email client that can help you determine that.

I use Mozilla Thunderbird for my email client and have now nearly 10 years. It has the built in security where it will tell you it thinks this email is a SCAM and to why and in nearly all cases it's 100% accurate. At least knowing this and seeing the warning it makes me pause and check the email links further and as stated most it tells me are a SCAM it indeed is.

Beware, Be Safe..

Right, never click links in emails, just go to the site by typing it. Never send account info to anyone. Oh & here is a great story PSN had outdated software & no firewall!!!!!! OMG, idiots!!!!!!!!
© The KGB Oracle