The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Sini Is DF fun? - 03/02/09 07:42 AM
AoC was disappointing fiasco, is DF fun on a fundamental level? If I ignore all bugs and server stability, is core gameplay promising? Is this Return of Golden Age or another pointless grind?
Posted By: Vyse Re: Is DF fun? - 03/02/09 01:47 PM
The game is very fun. Personally I am even finding the initial grind fun. Every night it seems we have a hunting party and a resource gathering party. You have the choice for either because we need gold and stone and wood.

I would compare the grind to UO. If taking a long time to level up your skills is a bad thing to you then you will not like it but I personally think everyone should give this game a shot. It is really fun and getting more and more fun every day. Get in soon and be a part of the city building. It gives you a great sense of accomplishment and it is a great way to get to know your fellow guildies.

Hope to see you in soon!
Posted By: JetStar Re: Is DF fun? - 03/02/09 08:52 PM
I would say the BEST ever. Its not perfect, but way better than anything so far.
Posted By: HeRog Re: Is DF fun? - 03/02/09 11:09 PM
Originally Posted By: JetStar
I would say the BEST ever. Its not perfect, but way better than anything so far.

I would agree... It is one great game and I look forward to seeing the long term play that it gives us hopes for.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 12:12 AM
So how is your mentor these days, Herog? I think his name started with a Z?
Posted By: Bardaji Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 12:53 AM
Mighty Crim, warrior of the KGB forums....

You have raised your troll points by 1!

And yes to the OP....DFO is HELLA fun! Unless you suck at PvP, then it's likely a futile grasp toward some false hope of mere adequacy. Heard the Winterblades rolled ya'll in your city? Is it true they are merely role-playing a PvP guild as stated in the DFO forums. Please do expand!
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 03:03 AM
Originally Posted By: Bardaji
Mighty Crim, warrior of the KGB forums....

You have raised your troll points by 1!

Hard to do anything else with a laptop and a 1meg broadband connection, stuck in a Professional Military Course in the middle of Hell.
Posted By: Sini Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 04:49 AM
I'd jump in a heartbeat into Darkfall if not for:

a) Technical issues: from what I read it is of sb.exe magnitude

b) Questionable end-game: SB spoiled me and I expect sieges, wars and ability to Get Off My Lawn (TM) anyone in the game. Beta reports suggest end-game is not finished and tacked-on mess.

c) Community: Are we going to see return of mega-zergs running people off the servers? I am not the one to complain about being underdog, but I'd rather not grind if game going to implode and turn into ghost town in 6 months.
Posted By: BoSllBibliotequa Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 05:14 AM
If travel remains the way we've seen it so far (no teleporting) then the size of the map will pretty much keep any guild from controlling the whole map or running smaller guilds out of the game. Travelling across the map takes hours at the moment, so if any guild spreads out too far, then smaller guilds will definitely be able to attack the larger guilds' towns guerilla style and face practically zero opposition.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 12:51 PM
^^^^ That is awesome, and just the way I like it.
Posted By: JetStar Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: sinij

b) Questionable end-game: SB spoiled me and I expect sieges, wars and ability to Get Off My Lawn (TM) anyone in the game. Beta reports suggest end-game is not finished and tacked-on mess.

c) Community: Are we going to see return of mega-zergs running people off the servers? I am not the one to complain about being underdog, but I'd rather not grind if game going to implode and turn into ghost town in 6 months.

I would disagree with you on all points.
Posted By: Revco Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 08:05 PM
This is the first game since SB that I really look forward to getting home from work and logging in.

In response to your reservations:

a) Since they fixed the sync issues I have not had a single technical issue. Server has come down a couple times but nothing alarming for just launching.

b) Can't much comment on endgame but like SB, endgame is what people are going to make it. All I can say is finally a game if someone pisses you off you can camp their city and knock down their shit until they cry.

c) As said above, with no 'summon' type spells and travel taking so long, I am sure there will be some brutal regional conflicts but no taking over the server like SB.
Posted By: Arkh Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 09:46 PM
is DF fun on a fundamental level?

Yes. The FPS aspect of the game combined to the full loot and FFA PvP is the best fun you can get atm.
Posted By: Daye Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 11:11 PM

Ahhhh. . . The Dreaded SB.EXE. . . .

The mere mention of such a term makes ex Shadowbane players
everywhere weep. . .

Personally, I'm going to give it a few months. We'll know
FAR more about the patch cycle, nerf nazis, connection stability, and overall game playability by then.

IF ( and that's a BIG IF ) a decent playerbase remains in
a few months, then I will give it serious consideration. I
refuse to do another game only to watch it implode 30-60
days after release.
Posted By: Arginal Re: Is DF fun? - 03/03/09 11:24 PM
I can't comment on SB because I never played it. But if you loved UO you will love this game. It has the same hit of adrenalin and sheer victory when you stand over your slain foe and are able to get the rewards of your effort. As well as the sweat running down your back as you ninja through hostile lands looking for solos or diving into a dungeon and finding the chest your after camped with 8 unknown players. (And not only getting the chest but ninja lewting one of the dead mobs the 8 are camping. Classic) and getting out barely. (Awesome job guys!)

I also agree that if transportation (Recall) works in a limited capacity or not a all then it will be very difficult for a zerg to control the world. It is huge. I ran to the human lands (on foot) from our city which is about 1/2 way from the Alfar starting cities and it took me about an hour and half just to get there.

And with FF (which I LOVE!!) zerg/non-skilled/bulk attacks won't work like other games because your are more likely to nail your guild mate then your target if you just try and mob something. We see this when doing PvE and PvP in DFO - if you just rush in and don't plan your attack you have just as much chance (or more) of your attack hitting your mates as your target. (Side swipe FTW!)
Posted By: Thresh Re: Is DF fun? - 03/04/09 08:26 PM
Having played both UO and Shadowbane along with most other MMO's throughout the years, I'd say it's worth it. The engine runs fine, the skill system is fun and the excitement of full loot PvP is as good as it gets.

AV is a small company and will experience growing pains, but they made a good game and have done lots with little resources. I think as the game matures, they will learn to support it better and the content will continue to expand as needed.
Posted By: Daye Re: Is DF fun? - 03/05/09 02:25 AM
I truly hope DFO pans out because we sure as hell need
something interesting to play for the foreseeable future.

It is my deepest hope they do not implement any sort of
teleporting / character taxi / summoning service here.
Want to control the world ? Going to have to march your
ass all over it to do so. . . lol
Posted By: JetStar Re: Is DF fun? - 03/05/09 03:31 AM
I agree, and it is going very well so far.
Posted By: AllYourBase Re: Is DF fun? - 03/05/09 12:15 PM
Heya,

How do I get to play? I see no release and no beta-client download anywhere or account setup for that matter?

I WANNA PLAY!!!!
Posted By: Vyse Re: Is DF fun? - 03/05/09 12:47 PM
Originally Posted By: AllYourBase
Heya,

How do I get to play? I see no release and no beta-client download anywhere or account setup for that matter?

I WANNA PLAY!!!!

Go Here: https://www.darkfallonline.com/accounts/f/default.php?pname=Homepage

Register, login, enter payment info, get online about 9:45 PST this morning and pray.....
Posted By: AllYourBase Re: Is DF fun? - 03/06/09 08:56 AM
Thanks... ;-).
Posted By: Boldfist Re: Is DF fun? - 03/13/09 07:15 PM
Against AV's TOS.

Account name banned as this is the 3rd time he has spammed this.

-Dunlop
Posted By: JetStar Re: Is DF fun? - 03/13/09 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Boldfist
Against AV's TOS.

-Dunlop

WOW, Anyone want to call me Dr. Frankenstein?

ITS ALIVE!
Posted By: ltima Re: Is DF fun? - 03/14/09 03:22 AM
Originally Posted By: JetStar
Originally Posted By: Boldfist
Against AV's TOS.

-Dunlop

WOW, Anyone want to call me Dr. Frankenstein?

ITS ALIVE!

?? confused
Posted By: Dunlop_Phaete Re: Is DF fun? - 03/14/09 03:24 AM
Guy was spamming our public forums trying to sell an account for an excessive amount of money. His account has been banned and all his posts deleted.
Posted By: ltima Re: Is DF fun? - 03/14/09 03:25 AM
Originally Posted By: Dunlop_Phaete
Guy was spamming our public forums trying to sell an account for an excessive amount of money. His account has been banned and all his posts deleted.

and that has what to do with doctor who reanimated flesh?
Posted By: Dunlop_Phaete Re: Is DF fun? - 03/14/09 06:46 PM
That I have no clue.
Posted By: Sini Re: Is DF fun? - 03/24/09 06:04 PM
a) Anyone has DF's IP to test my ping? DF' webpage is awfully slow, I hope it isn't my ping.

b) Where do I download game client?
Posted By: Sini Re: Is DF fun? - 03/25/09 07:07 AM
DF download info:

http://www.eu1.darkfallonline.com/dl/DarkfallFull/
Posted By: Banshee Re: Is DF fun? - 03/25/09 05:27 PM
Originally Posted By: ltima
Originally Posted By: Dunlop_Phaete

and that has what to do with doctor who reanimated flesh?

I would guess it refers to Jet creating a monster (moderator), just a guess though.
Posted By: Valaria Re: Is DF fun? - 03/25/09 10:46 PM
a) Anyone has DF's IP to test my ping? DF' webpage is awfully slow, I hope it isn't my ping.

b) Where do I download game client?

their site is slow alot of the time. and We have a decent ping in game of like 200
Posted By: nethervoid Re: Is DF fun? - 03/26/09 05:02 AM
Originally Posted By: Thresh
AV is a small company and will experience growing pains, but they made a good game and have done lots with little resources. I think as the game matures, they will learn to support it better and the content will continue to expand as needed.

I sure hope so. CCP did it with EVE. If AV tries to emulate CCPs success strategy, DF will just get better and better.
© The KGB Oracle