The KGB Oracle
Posted By: Tasorin Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 12:06 AM
Eat it bitch's.

Learn to follow the garden of weeden.

Go Vikings!

By 2020, electric vehicles will log 250 billion miles on U.S. roads each year. More than 30 EV makes and models—cars, trucks, bikes and motorcycles—are on the market today, with another 150 in development and production. Electric Avenue, launched in August 2011, is a two-year research partnership between PSU, the city of Portland, and Portland General Electric. Electric vehicle drivers can park and plug in to one of several different charging stations that have been installed along Southwest Montgomery Street, between Broadway and Sixth Avenue in the center of PSU's campus downtown. All charging stations are powered with 100 percent renewable energy from PGE. Vehicle charging (sponsored by PSU) is free. Standard parking rates apply.

The project supports a growing industry, while giving researchers and policy makers a better understanding of how electric vehicles will affect infrastructure, driver behavior, and the environment. That's part of PSU's commitment, as a leading urban research university, to using its campus as a living laboratory for implementing more sustainable practices. Electric Avenue joins a host of transportation studies already underway at Portland State, led by faculty working across disciplines and with the Oregon Transportation Research and Education Consortium (OTREC), a national university transportation center housed at PSU.

CHARGING PARTNERS: Eaton, ECOtality, General Electric, Northwrite Inc., OpConnect, Shorepower Technologies, SPX
and Broadway Ave. in Portland, Oregon.

... And yes, white people shouldn't try and electric slide.

Posted By: Kaotic Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 12:17 AM
And then one day the wind didn't blow and everyone had to ride the bus home.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 02:18 AM
I'm thinking this...

Kaotic is right, what's going to happen when the wind stops Blowin' and the sun doesn't shine as much. Gonna need a little of that Oil & Natural Gas then. GOOD LUCK!
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 03:29 PM
That is all you redneck hog fuckers got? When the wind doesn't blow as hard or the sun doesn't shine as much? So what you are saying is you got nothing to really say.

So the spread of renewable energy PGE is running is very diverse you knuckle draggers. wind and solar, while common, and what you inbreeders are limited to thinking when the word "renewable" is used.

PGE and Oregon State Univ. have a joint venture, the largest research facility for wave energy and is currently producing large amounts of wave energy. So you might want to add when the Space Moth hatches from the Moon and and the tides stop coming in and going out.

PGE has a massive Geothermal footprint in Oregon as well that produces massive amounts of renewable energy. So maybe you should add when we bore to the center of the earth and suck the life out of the core and the core stops producing steam.

Don't even get me started about the BPS, Bonnevile Power Service, a Federal Agency that jointly operates with PGE for energy distribution all the power generated by Hydro Electric dams in Oregon which number in the 100's of dams producing energy. So maybe you should add when the earth freezes over or heats up depending on which theroy of cooling or warming you choose to hang your hat on , and we don't have water sheds producing flow anymore.

What about the PGS/OSU and Farmers Assoc. joint venture to produce "Sweet Grass" a wild grass with 5x's the sugar content of corn and 3x's the cycle rate in order to produce E85 to drive both Energy producing turbines and power vehicles. So maybe you should add into your rant when the soil goes bad due to chemical contamination for the acid cloud of pollution from China.

But yes, PSU itself has many Solar Panels and Wind turbines on site and on bldgs. to produce there own renewable energy.

Basically, eat a fat hippie dick you redneck hog fuccking inbreed knuckle draggers.

Now, I am going to go re-load both barrels of my shottie for the next som-bish.
Posted By: Arkh Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 05:05 PM
Until we get a safe, fast to charge and efficient way to store energy, those vehicles are doomed. But when we get it... this is gonna be awesome. Think one crazy torque motor per wheel.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 06:26 PM
I'm not the one on a rant...

Hydro-dynamic energy, what about the pickled-nosed smelt fish? I'm all for hydro power but you hippies get all bent out of shape when the rest of us wanna put mechanical devices in the ocean or dam up a river.

I'm all for the "sweet grass" as long as it doesn't take the place of food crops, and as long as it doesn't take more energy to make it than it produces, like corn does.

My understanding of geothermal energy production has more to do with heat transfer than with steam production.

"There" is a direction. You meant to use the word "their", being the possessive of they. Also, "fucking" only has one "c".

P.S. the core of the earth doesn't produce steam, but it does get pretty darn hot (that's caused by friction).
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 06:40 PM
I hope you get some hater for a professor.
Posted By: Ictinike Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 07:12 PM
Originally Posted By: Tasorin

ROFLSTOMPED wink
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 08:27 PM
Originally Posted By: Ictinike

ROFLSTOMPED wink

Except that I don't make mistakes wink
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/26/11 11:00 PM
Arkh makes a good point, it's one to take a note on. This also applies with wind turbines, and yes even in this backwards ass, knuckle dragging state of Oklahoma, we have many wind farms. With more going online seemingly every quarter.

The wind turbines need to be more effcient. You have to put several up in a cluster for them to make a big difference in producing energy. Several Oklahoma small towns are looking into these wind turbines, but they aren't efficient enough and it becomes an eye sore with so many of them in a confined or "approved" area. Don't make it sound like I don't believe in renewable energy. I think there is a place for solar panels,wind turbines,hydro electric...ect. Using both until they can be made to be more efficient, then transitioning over is the ideal move. Jumping on that horse from the git-go trying to quit oil & natural gas cold turkey isn't a good idea. Because you are throwing everything into one basket, and things just never go well by doing that.

So when you fart smellers can put down the cheeba long enough to see, then maybe it will become a little more clearer. Hell, if a bunch of knuckle draggers can see this, why can't you? =P
Posted By: Drakiis Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/27/11 12:10 AM
I come from the land of renewable energies, We have Hydro, Solar, Wind, and Bio fuels and I believe that it's no one thing that will be our basis on creating renewable energy but all things combined. Solar and Wind clusters get larger and more efficient everyday, Hydro never stops, and farmers continue to grow the crops needed for biofuels, we don't have as much in the way of geothermal, except in the northern Iron Range, but either way the reality is using these diverse methods to create the energy and then having both the technology to use the energy, or be able to store and disperse the energy to the technology that can use it best.

Everyone keeps concentrating on finding the one ring to rule them all but that holy grail isn't realistic. It will take multiple methods, various types of research to create renewable energy, the trick is building the infrastructure to collect and disperse the various types of energy in a centralized fashion.
Posted By: Arkh Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/27/11 07:07 AM
Solar energy = you need solar panels which are awfull (ecologically) to produce, don't last a lot and can't work at night.
Wind energy = shit ton of magnets = you're using a ton of rare earth material. Enjoy depending on China for that.
Hydro = there's a limit on the number of river you can use for that (we are at it in France for example), and it creates artificial lakes which may damage the environment around it.
Geothermal = digging crazy holes under the earth does not sound like a genius' idea when you want to put those everywhere.

Thorium nuclear reactors may be a way to sustain our energy needs for a couple centuries until we manage to fond something new.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/27/11 03:08 PM
Originally Posted By: Arkh
Solar energy = you need solar panels which are awfull (ecologically) to produce, don't last a lot and can't work at night.
Wind energy = shit ton of magnets = you're using a ton of rare earth material. Enjoy depending on China for that.
Hydro = there's a limit on the number of river you can use for that (we are at it in France for example), and it creates artificial lakes which may damage the environment around it.
Geothermal = digging crazy holes under the earth does not sound like a genius' idea when you want to put those everywhere.

Thorium nuclear reactors may be a way to sustain our energy needs for a couple centuries until we manage to fond something new.

You're absolutely right Arkh.
Posted By: Tasorin Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/27/11 07:25 PM
Don't go turning my troll thread into a sound common sense discussion. There is no single solution. Everything causes impact, the question is maximizing the output, while minimizing the impact. It's like field wound and trauma assessment. All individuals are impacted, the question is, what are you going to choose to do and it what order to what things.

Wave energy is a low impact solution, but obviously its limited in its impact. The point being, the solution contains many options in the energy matrix. They are even working on at OSU reducing the impact of emissions from burning cow pies and pig shit to produce electricity. Yes I know, Who runs barter town?
Posted By: Drakiis Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/27/11 09:26 PM
I disagree Arkh, Solar cells have improved leaps and bounds since they were first manufactured, today's solar cells are arranged in large flexible panels which can accommodation many more cells then previous panels and the cells themselves far more efficient at gathering solar energy during peak periods of the day even in cloudy or poor lighting conditions.

Wind is costly I agree, but super conductor technologies are reducing the need for the common magnets in use today, and the rare earth neodymium magnets cost and origins can be offset by the use of better engineering of wind harnessing equipment, lighter materials such as carbon fiber mean that one wind generator can increase energy production using less magnets.

Everything has it's impact or limitations, the science is there just not the technologies, industries, and infrastructure.

Thorium Nuclear may not be the answer either, as that will undoubtedly have a waste byproduct which could potentially damage the environment as well.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/27/11 09:30 PM
Don't go turning my troll thread into a sound common sense discussion. There is no single solution. Everything causes impact, the question is maximizing the output, while minimizing the impact. It's like field wound and trauma assessment. All individuals are impacted, the question is, what are you going to choose to do and it what order to what things.

Wave energy is a low impact solution, but obviously its limited in its impact. The point being, the solution contains many options in the energy matrix. They are even working on at OSU reducing the impact of emissions from burning cow pies and pig shit to produce electricity. Yes I know, Who runs barter town?

Cow pie's & Pig shit... damn Oklahoma is going to be "In the shit" if this comes around as an efficient fuel source!
Posted By: Drakiis Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/27/11 09:46 PM
kool and the gang will be rich enough to afford one of them there big screen tvs at the walmart in no small part because he is full of it.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/28/11 05:53 PM
Originally Posted By: Drakiis
I disagree Arkh, Solar cells have improved leaps and bounds since they were first manufactured, today's solar cells are arranged in large flexible panels which can accommodation many more cells then previous panels and the cells themselves far more efficient at gathering solar energy during peak periods of the day even in cloudy or poor lighting conditions.

They have improved but it is still more efficient to burn fossil fuels at present. Some of the newer tech that suggests the ability to practically print solar cells looks promising but isn't there just yet.

Thorium Nuclear may not be the answer either, as that will undoubtedly have a waste byproduct which could potentially damage the environment as well.

From what I've seen the amount of waste produced by a Thorium plant equivalent to a current nuke plant in one year is only one 55 gallon drum full of waste material that will decay in 300 years vs the current run of hundreds or thousands of barrels of waste material that takes thousands of years to fully decay. That's a pretty amazing difference. Add to that the ability to simply shut off the plant if something goes wrong and then start it back up, both with no negative repercussions, and it seems to be far and away better than the current tech.
Posted By: Donkleaps Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/28/11 06:11 PM
Look I will make this very simple. When we can create lightsabers then we will have the ability for true power storage devices and energy replication.

Solar panels...nuclear power...environmental waste? These are all problems too big to deal with right now so we need to focus on the smaller more important things.

Only through proper lighsaber R&D can humanity move to the next level.
Posted By: Kaotic Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/28/11 06:15 PM
Amen Donkey
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/28/11 07:11 PM
Originally Posted By: Kaotic

They have improved but it is still more efficient to burn fossil fuels at present. Some of the newer tech that suggests the ability to practically print solar cells looks promising but isn't there just yet.

From what I've seen the amount of waste produced by a Thorium plant equivalent to a current nuke plant in one year is only one 55 gallon drum full of waste material that will decay in 300 years vs the current run of hundreds or thousands of barrels of waste material that takes thousands of years to fully decay. That's a pretty amazing difference. Add to that the ability to simply shut off the plant if something goes wrong and then start it back up, both with no negative repercussions, and it seems to be far and away better than the current tech.

Arkh talked about this before, Thorium is also easy and more abundant to obtain. This only makes sense, Like I said in my previous post. Why would we just straight to solar panels & wind turbines that still are't efficient enough. That would be dumb to do that. And Drakiis... YES they are more efficient than they were after they were first manufactured. But still have a ways to go. If you want to be the waterhead to jump on these solar panels, wind turbines and electric cars. Then go right ahead, then we will get to see you whine about not having enough energy to charge the batteries for your butt plug.
Posted By: Drakiis Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/29/11 11:45 PM
stop riding other peoples comment coat tails Wolfgang, put two thoughts together and say something smart for a change. I have six wind farms surrounding me, and just about everyone here has Solar panels on their house, significant energy reductions are happening now, it's just that our infrastructure is not in place for it to be effective enough to show the greater parts of the country. A pie in the sky is thinking that everyone will have a expensive thorium reactor built near their hometown. Do you know how many Nuclear reactors are in the USA? Last I heard barely 100 that is because of expense mostly, and then ecological/health issues and waste byproducts, followed by social concern. This isn't sim city you cant just plop down a reactor where ever you like.
Posted By: Wolfgang Re: Go Vikes!! - 08/30/11 02:07 AM
stop riding other peoples comment coat tails Wolfgang, put two thoughts together and say something smart for a change. I have six wind farms surrounding me, and just about everyone here has Solar panels on their house, significant energy reductions are happening now, it's just that our infrastructure is not in place for it to be effective enough to show the greater parts of the country. A pie in the sky is thinking that everyone will have a expensive thorium reactor built near their hometown. Do you know how many Nuclear reactors are in the USA? Last I heard barely 100 that is because of expense mostly, and then ecological/health issues and waste byproducts, followed by social concern. This isn't sim city you cant just plop down a reactor where ever you like.

So those wind farms surrounding you, how many homes do they supply energy to and are they still hooked up on the electric grid? Like I said in a previous post. There's been towns here in Oklahoma that are setting up wind farms as well, the biggest issue doing this is cost and efficiency. Many can afford them, but they still have to get the majority of the electricity from a regular grid. So there isn't any savings, and you are still left with needing more energy. Not unless you have thousands of wind turbines supplying a couple dozen homes. Then again what about that eye sore of seeing nothing but windmills across a landscape. That's got to be a pretty sight as well don't you think.

Show me where a wind turbine and solar panels can supply one family size home, with nothing else but solar and wind. I said before I have a friend and ex co-worker that looked into a wind turbine and solar panels. That way he could get off the "grid" and only have maintenance cost of the Wind and Solar energy sources. The cost was going to be significant to buy, it would only supply about a third of the energy he was going to need.

As for Nuclear energy, lets ask France...
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/inf40.html
If you didn't get that, France get's 75% of their nations energy from Nuclear energy. So now question is, would you rather see the horizon littered with Wind Farms, or have a single Reactor off in the distance? Have you heard of any meltdowns in France lately? I haven't. I'm not against using Solar & Wind... but right now it's just not efficient enough, versus the cost. If it was, you would see a lot more of them, because people would be getting off the "grid" rather than having to pay inflated prices to electric companies. I think we should use everything we have, Wind,Solar,Hydro,Oil,Natural gas,nuclear... your ass on a stationary bicycle that generates electricity... EVERYTHING, until we can get things to be as efficient as they can be versus costs and any enviromental impact. I wish you had more than a typical tree hugging response of "OMG THE ENVIROMENT"
© The KGB Oracle