The KGB Oracle
Posted By: JetStar Our Future - The next game - 05/18/06 03:06 PM
I have had lots of time over here in Holland to think about our future. Specifically thinking about Darkfall. This game seems to have everything we ever wanted. In order to be successful, we are goingto have to have a very large and organized effort.

This is something we have not seen in a while, nor do we have the active numbers at this time. Seems many KGB are off doing their own thing, or like me, bored with what is available and waiting for the next generation.

I posted about KGB's 8th Birthday and am going to try and get into a free UO shard just to reconnect with some of you and start working together and sharpening KGB's communication tools.

I think we need to try and all get involved on the boards at least and begin preparing for the next big thing. I for one get excited every time I read about Darkfall. So now is the time to contact your KGB Brothers and Sisters who may have gone their separate ways.

Lets not miss our chance to be successful on a large scale. A large and organized presence will be the best way to attract a new generation of dedicated and mature players.

I invite you to share your thoughts.
Posted By: Owain Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/18/06 04:08 PM
I agree, which is why I view UO:Hybrid as a training area for the next game, hopefully Darkfall if it pans out, or maybe World of Conan, which I have only recently started hearing about. Maybe some other game altogether.

Regardless, we need to start training the KGB Machine, and UO:Hybrid is perhaps a place to start. We work on smoothing things out in ventrillo, or teamspeak, we learn to coordinate in teams together, we organize in the forums the events we want to organize. It's a training exercise.

It's like when I was in the service. When we wanted to train to go to war, we didn't go bomb Duluth, Minnesota with live ordinance, although that would have been very realistic training. We flew missions in the simulator, and we dropped practice munitions on bombing ranges, and flew in Red Flag exercises, etc, etc. Then when the REAL wars emerged in Afghanistan and Iraq, the troops were ready to employ and dominate.

So, UO:Hybrid is our simulator, our bombing range. It's not the real thing, but it is where we start identifying the cadre of leaders we will need for when we do move to the real thing.

Right now, UO:Hybrid is adequate. Do not reject the adequate in pursuit of the perfect. Those who expect to be leaders in the Next Big Thing should the ones leading the way now, in a training capacity. We are not looking necessarily to develop 'l33t game skills in UO, but we do need to work on leadership, discipline, cohesiveness, and organization.

That won't happen by idling your time away by yourself in some other game waiting for GameX to be released.

For what it's worth...
Posted By: Derid Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/18/06 10:38 PM

Few of us are playing EVE-online, which is the real deal in of itself. Has quite a learning and skill curve though.

UO should just be retired IMO. If people wanna play, thats great, but if we just have a few ppl running around in a group it wont help us for DFO much, at least as a guild.

If the group that plays forms into a tight-knit group though, that can fight as a group together well then that would certainly be a bonus.

DFO is going to be a massive team-game, not a "run with a good group" game, and old UO will never produce the energy and motivation to get a large group of people practicing that.

So in other words, while it may certainly be benificial for
a single group, it wont be doing much to build or strengthen a chain of command for the guild. This was our biggest initial problem in SB, and IMO is far and away the most important issue going into DFO, or other massive-scale siege games.

You should hop in Vent Jet, theres a decent amount of us who game-hop and just chill.
Posted By: Uber Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/19/06 12:00 AM
UO HYBRID OWNS 24/7 PVP was figthing 20 Vs 20 all day today insane fun.. get in and hold on!!
Posted By: Bishop Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/19/06 01:17 AM
UO is just to old for me. Probably the best MMORPGS out there right now are Eve and RYL:Path of the Emporer/Neocron. RYL/Neocron is FPS and guild oriented.

And Eve is one of the most guild PvP oriented games out there, but the passive skill gain takes a month or two before you can compete very effiently in PvP.
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/19/06 03:07 AM
i can't stand space games
i am having fun in uo when I get time to play
Posted By: julio Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/19/06 03:18 AM
For what it's worth I have a castle and accounts with probably every charecter needed (smith, tailor, alch, tamer PvPers, etc...) on Metropolis (http://www.metropolisshard.com).

Also the server has a severe PK problem... I don't play anymore and would be willing to share the wealth if KGB wanted it, I'd love to help re-unite KGB... PM if your interested Jet, I'll check my PM's... -julio
Posted By: Rheea Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/19/06 03:47 PM
Get on hybrid 4tw, pvp here! Pk's here!
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/19/06 05:42 PM
rheea what r your chars ?
Posted By: Rheea Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/19/06 06:52 PM
Rheea de KGB and Rinn.

I usually hang around ubers house (its on an island), also right now I'm in vesper training magicresistance.
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/19/06 11:09 PM
ahh ok i have a rune to ubers house , what in vesper helps you build resist? we were i ryus house yesterday building healing
Posted By: Rheea Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/20/06 02:11 AM
Nah, vesper was just a safe place to do it .
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/20/06 02:30 AM
hehe cool
Posted By: Rheea Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/20/06 02:45 AM
do you have aim so I can contact you easier? I'm in game right now...
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/20/06 03:36 AM
no aim ,just icq msn or yahoo lol
Posted By: JetStar Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/20/06 08:55 AM
Quote:

Few of us are playing EVE-online, which is the real deal in of itself. Has quite a learning and skill curve though.

UO should just be retired IMO. If people wanna play, thats great, but if we just have a few ppl running around in a group it wont help us for DFO much, at least as a guild.

If the group that plays forms into a tight-knit group though, that can fight as a group together well then that would certainly be a bonus.

DFO is going to be a massive team-game, not a "run with a good group" game, and old UO will never produce the energy and motivation to get a large group of people practicing that.

So in other words, while it may certainly be benificial for
a single group, it wont be doing much to build or strengthen a chain of command for the guild. This was our biggest initial problem in SB, and IMO is far and away the most important issue going into DFO, or other massive-scale siege games.

You should hop in Vent Jet, theres a decent amount of us who game-hop and just chill.

You may be right. My overall goal is to re-unitde us as a group and be prepared to attack DFO in mass in the early stages.

It is obvious to me that only a coordinated and organized large scale approach will allow us to be a factor. This is something we never had a problem with in the past, but I noticed that our numbers were even a little low in WOW. We need a population like we had in DAOC and SB.

I want to begin now to attract the membership and begin getting organized. I am going to work on multiple platforms to accomplish this.

First of all, WHERE IS OUR PRIME MINISTER!!! Anyone heard from Romeo?
Posted By: Vydor Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/20/06 11:57 AM
Eve has a long gear up phase, not realy prime for the type of crowd KGB usally is. KGB would need at least three months to reach effective levels in it (as an over all guild, assuming strong active leadership), and most of KGB seems to be anti-space game idea.

I like eve, and would consider re-joining an effort there... but the fizzel out factor is to high, IMO, for it to work I htink.

As for UO, I presently play on Obvilion... aready started the grind there before this KGB move, and prbly not re-do the grind on Hybrid which is odviosly the best choice for KGB if there is a KGB-UO move.

Active strong leadership+Intresting Game= success for KGB.

Find that Jet, and you win!
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/20/06 01:09 PM
i haven't seen romeo i think he graduated possibly
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/20/06 04:25 PM
Vydor the skill gain on hybrid is so easy u could have a char rdy in less than 2 days. Plus we have all the supplies ever needed so theres its not a hard grind even. Rev made a char and with in like 3 hours had like 4 to 5 gms.
Posted By: Rev Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/21/06 02:35 AM
yeah i even figuired out how to max my stats in no time. Just make a macro that uses snooping and something else like say arms lore. The uo razor program is way better than what we used to have. I made macro today that trained magery and resist. It would check to see if i had enough mana, if i didn't i would med, if i did, i woudl explode myslef, if i was down below half hp i would use a bandaid. never coulda done that with uoextreme.
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/21/06 05:06 AM
i need to figure out razor
i need to max my stats
is unattended macro'ing illegal? rev you already gm'ed mage & resist?

do you use icq,msn or yahoo ? we can hook up next time u r on
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/21/06 07:03 AM
u can macro its fine elph
Posted By: whoflungpoo Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/21/06 09:43 AM
or buy a 7GM skill ball if they still sell them...
Posted By: Rev Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/21/06 11:46 AM
I use ICQ, My ICQ# is : 8841062

I dont have the money to gm magery and resist, both are mid 70's for about 5k. Macroing there is fine. no one cares.

The 7x skill balls are 20 a piece now and the 225 stat balls are 15. I'm buying one 7x for a craftsmen, skill gain is fast there, i just lack the resources in game to train a blacksmith.
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/21/06 02:43 PM
20 what dollars ?
ok ill rev ill get kaly to add you
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/21/06 06:17 PM
Yea u can buy 7x gm and stat balls for like 10 dollars its how they keep the shard free. u dont have to do it that way but some find it easier than training.
Posted By: Dustrider Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/22/06 12:15 PM
There was a big hype before on UO.. i got into it and liked it.. but it will die down and people will go play something else.

I gave my accounts to bandit anyways..
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/22/06 07:21 PM
yea i remember when they went back to uo before, i didn't go that time I believe I was still enjoying wow, it's awesome and alot of fun. We had quite an amount of folks running around yesterday
Posted By: Juancasas Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/23/06 08:31 PM
With Shadwbane being free and all why dont we have everyone play there till the next game comes out. I read about how we sould play and try out new leaders to see who can play wich roll. Whats better then SB with all the mines, banes and politic that go on in SB. If you can lead taht game any other game i think will be so much easier. IMO
Posted By: Kuroz Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/23/06 09:26 PM
Age of Conan is looking much better than Darkfall. It was nominated as E3's best MMORPG by the 3 top gaming sites.

Darkfall is made by unexperienced developers and they are making a lot of unrealistic promises, which is a bad sign.I would like to join KGB for Darkfall beta though.

Check this Age of Conan videos, mounted combat looks very impressive.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/ageofconanhyborianadventures/media.html

/salute
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/23/06 09:53 PM
i couldn't stand sb and from what i read it's not going to remain free for long
Posted By: Derid Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/23/06 11:39 PM

AoC looks decent as well, but I have a good feeling about DFO, from what I have read they have learned the lessons of their predecessors, at least in terms of gameplay. One would think that this will translate over to include game stability, but of course we will never know until it comes out.

But lets face reality, given the current state of gaming the simple fact is that we will all be playing the first PvP game to come out, be it DFO, AoC, Spellborne or even "Carebears in Happy Bear forest", as long as we could equip our Bears with axes and siege engines, and /shout PWNT over the ruins of their smoking town.

How long we will play, is a different matter entirely.
Posted By: Rev Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/24/06 12:21 AM
is there going to be any crafting in "carebears in happy bear forest"? I wan't to RP a merchant.
Posted By: Crimthan Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/24/06 04:38 PM
From what I've seen in Shadowbane Beta + the first six months of release as a member of Cadre Quietus in COS: It helped tremendously to have allies when or shortly after, entering the game.

Every guild I witnessed that tried to go it alone got stomped. It's usually pretty silly to have pre-fabricated alliances before entering a game, but Beta is a good time to meet up with other guilds of like minds and purpose (or hiring on scoundrels for the dirty work) and ally for ultimate success.

Also: If Darkfall kicks the bucket, there's always Age of CONAN or even, Chronicles of Spellborn (these two have solid producers and will release in a timely manner). Seriously looks like a good game as well.

Just my .02
Posted By: Leverett Re: Our Future - The next game - 05/30/06 08:44 PM
Quote:

I think we need to try and all get involved on the boards at least and begin preparing for the next big thing. I for one get excited every time I read about Darkfall. So now is the time to contact your KGB Brothers and Sisters who may have gone their separate ways.

Lets not miss our chance to be successful on a large scale. A large and organized presence will be the best way to attract a new generation of dedicated and mature players.

Thank you for sharing this, Jet. I am more than thrilled to hear about your thoughts on DFO, especially about establishing a singular presence on an MMO once again.

I enjoy the camaraderie of fellow KGBers more than any feature that any game has, and would gladly participate in this effort.

I would also be happy to help organize and administrate any presence were it so required, or just be a player if that's what we need too.
Posted By: ARSNL_ShareZAR Re: Our Future - The next game - 06/08/06 04:52 PM
Anyone know when DarkFall release date is?

And do we still have people playing in UO?
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 06/08/06 06:13 PM
no idea on darkfall share.
and yea we got ppl playing uo
get into vent , information is in the great hall.

we ran into black knight the other night, well kalypso did
Posted By: ARSNL_ShareZAR Re: Our Future - The next game - 06/08/06 07:20 PM
lol yeah he has been trying to get me to play UO for ever.. =) I'll get my shit togather and join you guys..
Thank you Elph...
Posted By: Elph Re: Our Future - The next game - 06/09/06 12:22 AM
np share
Posted By: Holrom Re: Our Future - The next game - 06/09/06 04:57 PM
kgb4life
Posted By: Donkleaps Re: Our Future - The next game - 06/23/06 10:24 AM
Bring me to the fight, no matter where it is.

You point I click.

/salute
Posted By: Hakaryu_Lionheart Re: Our Future - The next game - 06/27/06 06:04 PM
toss me a link to hybrid and i will hop back on UO =0)
Posted By: afshin Re: Our Future - The next game - 07/17/06 06:29 PM
http://www.warhammeronline.com/english/home/index.php

http://www.hellgatelondon.com/

http://www.darkfallonline.com/

They all look like fun
Posted By: Rahl Re: Our Future - The next game - 11/14/06 11:12 PM
What about starting a Tribes or Diablo Branch?
Posted By: nethervoid Re: Our Future - The next game - 11/15/06 03:41 PM
I think the hardest part of focusing the current KGB troop is more in the fact that the current setting of the MMO market is non-pvp. I mean, realistically, it can be argued there hasn't been a good pvp MMORPG since UO. SB was a good candidate, but it was really underdeveloped. From the look of Darkfall in SB's shadow, I really would expect them to also underdevelop, but hope I'm wrong.

If Darkfall is a good game, KGB will thrive again. I think the key is to have a good team of leaders heading into DF, with the focus being on recruiting up to old KGB numbers once we get in there. I think what happened on SB can happen again in DF. I hope the difference is that if DF is a much better game the dynasty can last longer, which in turn will fill up the ranks of those who are around when there is no 'game' most of us are psyched about.
Posted By: Rahl Re: Our Future - The next game - 11/15/06 10:50 PM
Here is the link for the full Tribes download its free and fun http://www.download.com/Starsiege-Tribes-full-install/3000-7453_4-10294999.html?tag=lst-0-3
© The KGB Oracle