Visit www.the-kgb.com
For additional information

Join KGB DISCORD: http://discord.gg/KGB

KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 21 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,356
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,044,908 Trump card
1,344,878 Picture Thread
481,901 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
In other words they were making lots of it up as they went along. They also challenged the conclusions.Which, is what I challenged.

Politifact: "It takes a careful selection of years (and not even a full decade at that), and a number of assumptions about income for Obama's statistic to hold up. We rate the president's claim Half True."

I didnt dismiss your opinion because it was close to Obamas, I simply realized that the reason you have a hard time thinking things through is because you apparently never thought about anything in the first place - just repeated a talking point.

Your theory on progressive taxation honestly reminds me of the South Park underpants gnomes.

Step one: crush any family who makes over 100k

Step two: ??????

Step three: get an equal society

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
You are just being juvenile now.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Interesting statement, but not accurate.

Remind me, who was going around accusing everyone who disagreed with him of just throwing out right-wing talking points? Surely that same person would not take lines from some leftists book and accuse everyone who disagreed with its conclusions of ignoring the data or his arguments?

If you both take an aggressive and high handed posture, then are found to be committing large hypocrisies - expect to be called out on it.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I hope you can tell the difference between parroting Fox news and having conservative-leaning ideas?

Enough with your attempted character assassinations, you are not any good at it and it only detract from your credibility.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

So you are saying that you were independently researching, and just happened to come to Obama's conclusions on your own and weren't parroting his talking points after reading his book?

If you say yes, I will take your word on it.

You have to admit though, the resemblance was uncanny in very many respects.

Also, dont think for a second that was a character assassination attempt. If I made one, it would be clear. What it was, was an attempt to hopefully jar you into realizing how you are coming across - both in regards to talking points, and by association some of the things you have said regarding regulation and "progressive taxation" ( trying to make a false dichotomy via Progressive taxation vs Somalia )

In fact even going back to the whole health care debate where we got on the semantics tangent was nothing other than me trying to prod you into clearly defining and following through with an articulated view that was precise, yet free of obvious errors resulting from misused terms or axioms.

Also, stop putting words in my mouth. I have in fact said many times that some regulation is needed, and regulatory issues should be discussed on their own individual merits. You at the time declined that view, and took a blanket approach.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Derid

So you are saying that you were independently researching, and just happened to come to Obama's conclusions on your own and weren't parroting his talking points after reading his book?

Until you brought this up I had no idea Obama put this much thought into economy and wealth inequality, it certainly doesn't show in his policies. I do not own his book, I never read it and up until now wasn't curious about it. I always assumed his book was a tearjerker about him growing up in poverty with a single mom.

First time I encountered this graph was when I read the study. My old job had full access to any paywalled or free scientific article, plus lots of military studies (but I can't talk about it other than in general terms) that I spent a lot of time reading while waiting for the numbers to get crunched through by the mainframe. It didn't had anything to do with my work, but considering that I was allowed to read articles and not allowed to access internet or news sites that what I did for 2+ years during downtime.

Last edited by sinij; 12/10/11 05:06 PM.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Ok fair enough. I rescind my accusations of hypocrisy, it appears I was in error.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I have a question for you, and would prefer an honest answer. Do you not see concentration of wealth as a problem? I see Great Depression pattern repeating itself, but then US got "lucky" and the rest of the world self-destructed with WW2. This certainly not going to happen this time around.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
I see concentration of power as a problem. Yes, wealth and power can certainly go hand in hand. But if you focus on one, and not the other - you achieve nothing, in fact I think the results are usually counter productive.

I also think you need to tread very carefully when addressing the issue. It would seem to be an indisputable and self evident fact , contest it if you want but - most attempts at legislation and many attempts at regulation do not reach the STATED goals of the proponents of said legislation, and instead have myriad other effects. Often times, when trying to shoot the "enemy" , the legislation misses and hits a bystander instead.

Often times the bystander was the real target of those crafting the legislation or regulation - but it would not have been politically feasible to target them openly.

Also, something I consider more important that wealth concentration is wealth fluidity.

However, on a similar note - its a historical fact that the better communication becomes, the greater centralization of power becomes possible. The kind of micromanagement of society that is now feasible - never before has been feasible in the history of the world, so we are treading on unfamiliar ground.

The problem I find with most "progressive" attempts to right the power/wealth balance, is that they completely ignore what I consider the primary opponent - which is societal control and class ossification - and even engage in "friendly fire", and strike at the heart of liberty.

To me, the real problem is not that some banker drives a Maserati and I might drive a Jeep. The real problem is that the guy driving the Maserati, be he super wealthy or connected politically - takes control of the governmental levers and work to prevent me from not only reaching his level, but exercise undue control over all aspects of my life for his own benefit.

You want to know what my biggest objection to socialized health care is? Its not even the money, though I do care about that. Its not even that I think it would deteriorate care for those who arent rich enough to afford to bypass the and go above the system with private-only care, though that bothers me as well.

Its the fact that once everyone is paying for everyone elses health care, you now have a strong argument that govt also needs to have a say in how you live your life. After all, how fair is it that I only eat brussel sprouts and tofu, yet pay for the quintuple bypass surgery of the guy who eats nothing but McDonalds burgers?

Once you give up the fight for the principle that you should be your own master, once you give up the idea that government exists to protect your individual liberty, you give up your strongest argument against tyranny of all types.

Sometimes protecting liberty means that the guy who makes 10trillion dollars also gets his wealth protected by the same principle. Sometimes protecting liberty means that kids who are born to incompetent parents have to grow up in poverty because their parents have more kids than they can afford to care for.

But in the end, we are all forced to make a choice. Do we stand up for our rights as individuals and keep govt in check, knowing that this paradigm admits that the world will be an unequal place, that some will have much and others will have little?

Or do we buy into the idea that we can achieve something better by abandoning our rights, and put ourselves under govt control with the idea that a powerful govt can make us more equal? I obviously do not think the collectivist, govt control path can work. I think it creates more misery in the long run, even in benign areas like Sweden -where big oil money helps fund the State, those on the bottom are getting sick from their govt housing. Selective "deregulation" happens that enriches connected bureaucrats - deregulation in this sense is not free market deregulation, but simply a power grab by connected people. Already they are feeling the sting of govt power. And Sweden is probably the best Statist place on the planet.

In a free market republic, it is possible to counter the influence of concentrated wealth with an informed electorate, and a govt small enough that its actions can be tracked and can be held accountable at the polls. It doesnt always happen that way, but at least it is do-able. The more power govt has, the bigger and less directly accountable it gets, the more power the Elite have - be they wealthy Elites or political Elites.

To me, this is the true face of the enemy. And in an age where a panopticon society is not only possible but marching inexorably onward.. I think we give up any fight for individual liberty, and hand over any personal power to govt or any other outside entity at our own peril.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Originally Posted By: Derid
I see concentration of power as a problem. Yes, wealth and power can certainly go hand in hand. But if you focus on one, and not the other - you achieve nothing, in fact I think the results are usually counter productive.

I also think you need to tread very carefully when addressing the issue. It would seem to be an indisputable and self evident fact , contest it if you want but - most attempts at legislation and many attempts at regulation do not reach the STATED goals of the proponents of said legislation, and instead have myriad other effects. Often times, when trying to shoot the "enemy" , the legislation misses and hits a bystander instead.

Often times the bystander was the real target of those crafting the legislation or regulation - but it would not have been politically feasible to target them openly.

Also, something I consider more important that wealth concentration is wealth fluidity.

However, on a similar note - its a historical fact that the better communication becomes, the greater centralization of power becomes possible. The kind of micromanagement of society that is now feasible - never before has been feasible in the history of the world, so we are treading on unfamiliar ground.

The problem I find with most "progressive" attempts to right the power/wealth balance, is that they completely ignore what I consider the primary opponent - which is societal control and class ossification - and even engage in "friendly fire", and strike at the heart of liberty.

To me, the real problem is not that some banker drives a Maserati and I might drive a Jeep. The real problem is that the guy driving the Maserati, be he super wealthy or connected politically - takes control of the governmental levers and work to prevent me from not only reaching his level, but exercise undue control over all aspects of my life for his own benefit.

You want to know what my biggest objection to socialized health care is? Its not even the money, though I do care about that. Its not even that I think it would deteriorate care for those who arent rich enough to afford to bypass the and go above the system with private-only care, though that bothers me as well.

Its the fact that once everyone is paying for everyone elses health care, you now have a strong argument that govt also needs to have a say in how you live your life. After all, how fair is it that I only eat brussel sprouts and tofu, yet pay for the quintuple bypass surgery of the guy who eats nothing but McDonalds burgers?

Once you give up the fight for the principle that you should be your own master, once you give up the idea that government exists to protect your individual liberty, you give up your strongest argument against tyranny of all types.

Sometimes protecting liberty means that the guy who makes 10trillion dollars also gets his wealth protected by the same principle. Sometimes protecting liberty means that kids who are born to incompetent parents have to grow up in poverty because their parents have more kids than they can afford to care for.

But in the end, we are all forced to make a choice. Do we stand up for our rights as individuals and keep govt in check, knowing that this paradigm admits that the world will be an unequal place, that some will have much and others will have little?

Or do we buy into the idea that we can achieve something better by abandoning our rights, and put ourselves under govt control with the idea that a powerful govt can make us more equal? I obviously do not think the collectivist, govt control path can work. I think it creates more misery in the long run, even in benign areas like Sweden -where big oil money helps fund the State, those on the bottom are getting sick from their govt housing. Selective "deregulation" happens that enriches connected bureaucrats - deregulation in this sense is not free market deregulation, but simply a power grab by connected people. Already they are feeling the sting of govt power. And Sweden is probably the best Statist place on the planet.

In a free market republic, it is possible to counter the influence of concentrated wealth with an informed electorate, and a govt small enough that its actions can be tracked and can be held accountable at the polls. It doesnt always happen that way, but at least it is do-able. The more power govt has, the bigger and less directly accountable it gets, the more power the Elite have - be they wealthy Elites or political Elites.

To me, this is the true face of the enemy. And in an age where a panopticon society is not only possible but marching inexorably onward.. I think we give up any fight for individual liberty, and hand over any personal power to govt or any other outside entity at our own peril.

Bravo, well said!

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard