KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Raist
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,022,158 Trump card
1,339,365 Picture Thread
478,154 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
JetStar Offline OP
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
OP Offline
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
As many of you know, The KGB Oracle fell victim the the major outage in the San Francisco Bay Area all day yesterday. Here is more details:

Vandals cut communications cables in four locations in the South San Francisco Bay area early Thursday morning, knocking out phone and Internet service to more than 50,000 people as well as thousands of businesses.

The sabotage blacked out communications to hospitals, stores, financial networks and emergency services, such as 911 calls, according to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle. The unknown vandals had to use a special tool to remove manhole covers and then climbed down to access the cables, some as thick as a silver dollar. At least a total of 500 optic fibers were cut, according to the San Francisco Chronicle report.

AT&T — whose service was most affected by the cuts — owns cables at two of the locations, the company said in a statement. The telecommunications giant offered a $100,000 bounty for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the saboteurs.

"Anyone who tampers with, destroys or disrupts the company's network or its components is in violation of federal and state laws and AT&T will assist with any prosecution to the fullest extent of the law," the company stated on Thursday.

The attack underscored that, while security and policy experts warn that cyber attacks on critical infrastructure pose a significant danger, physical vulnerability continues to be a major issue. Earlier this week, the Wall Street Journal reported that unnamed intelligence officials had stated that Chinese and Russian hackers had infiltrated the networks of several power companies. The admissions come as the Obama administration undertakes a 60-day review of its cybersecurity policies, as two senators introduce a bill that would create a top advisor to the president, and as the National Security Agency fights to become the lead agency for cyber operations.

The vandals struck as AT&T negotiates with its employees' labor union, the Communications Workers of America. The union's contract has run out, but the workers have not yet scheduled a strike. The CWA stated through a spokesperson that its leadership does not believe any union members were involved in the sabotage, according to the Chronicle.

AT&T Inc. is offering a $100,000 reward to help find vandals responsible for about 52,000 telephone, Internet and cell phone outages in southern Santa Clara County Thursday.

The utility said fiber cables were cut in manholes at Old County Road and Varian Road in San Carlos and at Monterey Highway and Blossom Hill Road in San Jose.

The cuts were made between 2 a.m. and 4 p.m., and all service was restored by Friday morning.

Santa Clara County declared a local emergency Thursday because many residents could not dial 911 on their phones, and AT&T said welfare checks were made on some elderly residents.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Damn!!! So those are the culprits that ruined my work reading yesterday! You Bastards!!!!!

That is messed. I bet it was some disgruntled employees that wanted a few days off smile

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:
AT&T said welfare checks were made on some elderly residents.

I suspected the elderly too..

I am Wrath, I am Steel, I am the Mercy of Angels.
mors est merces mea – death is my reward
morte in vitam non habet tenaci - Death has no grip on Life.
[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
It wouldn't make any sense for this to be a contract dispute
issue as they cut the cable while the contract negotiations are
still in progress. Unless it was meant as a warning. . . .

Typically, if it's actually a 'Union' thing, they'll wait until
AFTER a strike is called before doing anything of this nature.
The idea is the cable now has to be repaired by folks who are
untrained / unskilled in the process, thus the time needed to
repair it would take MUCH longer.

Now I wouldn't rule out a disgruntled ex-employee but as to
ideas of who and why, I couldn't possibly think of anything
that would make any sense.

*shrug*

KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Daye
It wouldn't make any sense for this to be a contract dispute
issue as they cut the cable while the contract negotiations are
still in progress.

Confucious say: He who expect rational actions from humans, learn to live with disappointment.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]

Moderated by  JetStar 

Link Copied to Clipboard