KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 56 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Binbs
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,030,429 Trump card
1,340,267 Picture Thread
478,689 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Give me a dev team and some funding and I will make the best MMO in the world.

That's a promise.

I'll believe that if the promise refers to having no, or very limited, PVE Item Grind/Raiding BS, and is focused on

1. Free form Person-Person Shooter with magery/archery and third person slasher with melee;

2. Huge in-depth character creation/development, including skill trees,;

3. A sandbox type environment;

4. focus on True PVP format; from City Building/Destruction to decent Weapon/Armor building of NPCs ala Shadowbane. Also the ability to make cohesive military units a viable form of combat, and not just guerrilla units and mindless zergs; and

6. Includes most or all weapon type prototypes from 1000 BC on up to 1000 AD, including a huge variety of polearms.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from nodiatis.com]
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Quote:

Quote:

That's a promise.

I'll believe that if the promise refers to having no, or very limited, PVE Item Grind/Raiding BS, and is focused on

1. Free form Person-Person Shooter with magery/archery and third person slasher with melee;

4. focus on True PVP format; from City Building/Destruction to decent Weapon/Armor building of NPCs ala Shadowbane. Also the ability to make cohesive military units a viable form of combat, and not just guerrilla units and mindless zergs; and

6. Includes most or all weapon type prototypes from 1000 BC on up to 1000 AD, including a huge variety of polearms.

In short, Crims MMO would be Polearms Online or PO.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
POlearms Online - or POO for short.

Realistically speaking, good MMO PvP revolves around the concept of Sandbox style world design, pvp flagging, etc.

In all honesty, to many MMO developers try to make a RPG version of Team Fortress, complete with WoW-grind... and fail miserably at it.

Without being unduly verbose, the best advice I can give you is to either a) make character progression extremely quick and easy (the funnest part about AoC, was playing with all sorts of different classes/specs when advancement was still relatively quick and easy. They nerfed 60% of the fun out of their incomplete game when they turned it to a grind), or b) have a classless re-speccable advancement model. (so you are never stuck with a bad character)

Balance, and gameplay can, will, and will probably need to be changed over time. The mood I have been reading from players for a good while now, is players are now much much less tolerant of the "hamster in a wheel" model of gameplay. Those who still enjoy, and buy into that style of gaming are probably not going to leave their existing, hundred-million dollar budget hamster wheel for an indie hamster wheel.

If you want to seriously capture (and more importantly, retain - see WHO and AoC for reference) the interest of players you need to do something other than offer a slightly different wheel, with a different backdrop for said wheel. You need to offer some new toys for the hamster to play with...

The clearest and most defined way to do this, is to go back
to the way of thinking of the early MMO / MUD era when people were thinking in terms of virtual worlds that strove to offer player freedom - as opposed to the newer era where most of what you see is pure team-based co-op content and extremely structured play.

Though Eve has managed this to a degree, and Darkfall will be as well, neither game is perfect, or perfect for everyone. Though I ofc have my own ideas, I wont try to tell you how to make your game. I am sure many of your team have your own ideas.

All I am saying, is that what players really want is not another wheel, that is similar to the old wheel, but set in a different cage, or a different color, or with extra little decorations to look at as you run in place.

We want a virtual word, with a better balance of grind/fun that can still hold some meaning. Which admittedly, is one heck of a tough line to follow. ( as time itself imparts meaning to the ones willing to spend it, seeing as once youve spend 100 hours doing something, the end result obviously bears some value to the spender if for no other reason than it took so long to do it. )

Last edited by Derid; 02/19/09 04:54 PM.
B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Thank you Derid, Crimthan and others, your comments are duly noted and taken to the development team for consideration. They have a lot of experience in playing and developing games from the MUD era as well, so understand your perspective.

When we move forward with PvP and anything mentioned here, I'll let you know.

One of the game mechanics we want to ensure is done right above and beyond PvP itself when that is implemented, is the balance between PvE and PvP. Otherwise you can ruin both if they aren't being compared together.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That's a promise.

In short, Crims MMO would be Polearms Online or PO.

Because I mentioned polearms in there? Funny, but I had a lot of other non-polearm related concepts in there, and Derid basically said most of what I said.

Anyway, Thank you Berek for considering KGB during these very important stages of development for Alganon.

[Linked Image]

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
A quick update to KGB that we've added our CEO's February update letter, as well as the latest Community Roundtable feature that answers some of your direct questions!

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Nice, it's awesome to see that input from some veteran gamers is really appreciated

[Linked Image]

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
Yesterday we posted our second gameplay video of Alganon, showing the Kujix on the continent of Harraja. The first video shows the Asheroth on the continent of Ardonya:

http://www.alganon.com/video

The Harraja video also shows our new sky & environment system!

B
Berek Offline OP
Oracle Newbie
OP Offline
Oracle Newbie
B
We've updated our 'About Alganon' page with more information and a consolidated view: http://www.alganon.com/about-alganon

(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
(GM10) KGB High King
KGB Federal Faction
(F5) High Chancellor
KGB New World Faction
KGB Oracle Administrator
Founded KGB in 1997
Thanks we will check it out.

[Linked Image from w3.the-kgb.com][Linked Image from oracle.the-kgb.com]
Star Citizen Hanger:
RSI Javelin Destroyer, Hull E, RSI Constellation Pheonix, Aegis Dynamics Retaliator, Banu Merchantman
F7A Military Hornet Upgrade, F7C-S Hornet Ghost, F7C-R Hornet Tracker, Origin 325a Fighter
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard