KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Winter
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,031,261 Trump card
1,340,662 Picture Thread
478,835 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#25503 02/19/08 07:59 AM
KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
I just bought 8gig of RAM for $180 (2x 4gig kits with Free shipping and no Mail in Rebates ) on newegg if anyone is thinking about buy more RAM. Link

Last edited by Ehonda; 02/19/08 07:59 AM.
Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
timings are a bit big but still an awesome value, NICE

KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Yeah I know that the 4-4-4-12 is the timing most ppl want but I heard that the 5-5-5-15 has better stability. Is that true or false?

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
I'd say thats probably true specifcally with the tRAS timing, say for example a 2-3-2-6 set ram, if it's lower it takes less time for an entire set of data to loop through the ram stick inbetween each charge, which makes it faster compared to the same stick that has 4-4-4-12 but that 6 set has a higher risk of corrupting your data which leads to the "blue screen of death" every once and while, but in the case of a 12 vs a 15 set, unless your motherboard is horribly picky or horribly old you shouldn't have that much of a problem, if it does, id go with flashing the board or getting a more flexiable one, something else to consider is that even if your timings are perfect for your board it could still lead to instabilty by the level of heat that it produces or how overclocked it's other timings are, like tREF, ive had instances where it will just sit there without any power about 30min into a boot and the ram will just lose power and ill get blue screened, so id say your motherboard would play a bigger role on how stable your ram is more then the timings. too much or too little of something is never good, LOL. ive had machines that run 2-3-3-4 without a hitch, i think it just matters on how beasty your motherboard is.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
I am looking to go from 2 to 4 gig. I have ddr2-sdrm (pc2-4200) 533mhz.
Options are to upgrade to better or just add more of the same.
I need to know if I can upgrade or am I stuck with what it came with. Or is what I have ok for just playing mmos.
Also can you mix different types of the same, as in one says EXTREME DDR2 and the other say DDR2

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Well, it depends on your motherboard, how much FSB it can handle and how many ram slots it has for you to reach 4gigs and the processor you have on your computer. If you have a 64bit processor then when you hitch on those 4gigs, you might not have such a hard time, chances are that it will just pick those up and be on it's way. On a 32bit proc though, that might be a little different, depending on if your board comes with a decent memroy index. Usually when you install brand new ram for the first time, it get indexed and sorted sort of like how on a MAC, the HD gets indexed, they call it journaling and it just basically means that it's tallying up the ram for faster use. Well if you have a nice special board it will index all 4096 of your ram, otherwise it might tell you, you have somewhere between the 3 to 3.5 range of ram when you really have 4 gigs, because it takes into account your video ram and it's limit of index and registrar is 4Gigs regardless.

It doesn't quite mean that you arn't using all 4gigs upon boot it just means that the computer doesn't know it's own strength type of thing. Technically it should use all 4 gigs but it just won't have the entire thing registered, and it might take a performance hit since it would have to resync those sticks in the bios everytime it's cycled, theoretically anyway. In any case I would go just up to 3, just to be safe, however if your willing to try it out and then if it doesn't work out, you can just return it; and just have 3 gigs. 533mhz is decent but if you have the monies, I would find out how much FSB my motherboard can do and purchase your ram accordingly.

If you bought your computer from like say Dell or some of these major computer retailers, then you can find out what kind of motherboard you have just from the model number infront of the case. The difference is not alot but somewhat significant from lets say a 533 and a 667 but still there's something that would help you computer be faster. If that is stock RAM, then chances are you probably have room for improvement. You can overclock your FSB speeds by upchanging the modules on your board with the right Bios and you could go with even 800 if you do it right but overclocking anything to it's limits usually means less longevity.

And as for the mixing of RAM sticks, I wouldn't have two different sticks on the same channel on your board because your not using it's full potential. Let's say you have a 677, on one and an 800 on the other on the same channel, the bios will configure itself to the slower stick as default and your faster stick will take a performance hit, so ideally it's better to have identical sticks that are at the fastest speeds without stepping outside the bounds of compatability. But you can atleast on recent motherboards to date. Back in the day motherboards wouldn't boot up at all because the bios had no revert compatiblity when presented with offchanging sticks but that should no longer be the case and from the speed of the stock ram that you have on your computer I'd say your computer is fairly recent, atleast not older then 4 years, so that shouldn't be an issue. The Extreme business, the only thing that I could think of as to why one would be extreme and the other not is that one is manufacturedly overclocked, which makes no difference but your bios will default it's settings to the non-overclocked stick. So it will work just you just won't be as Extreme. lol But yeah you can mix different speeds and timings on most motherboards just your operating at the slower rate..

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
What OS are you running???? I thought you had to have either Linux or XP 64 to address more than 4 gigs...

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
You do, for more then 4gigs but for exactly 4gigs which is what Helemoto wants, it's possible to do it on 32bit windows. The limitation isn't set by the OS your running, it' set by the motherboard design frame which then sets the OS your allowed to run on your machine.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
OK heres what I got. HP m8000n. Yes I did not build my own I bought a family computer so my wife would not bury me in the yard. It came with 2 gig with 2 extra slots. I put in a 7600gs vid card(it only came with onboard one). Has AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 5200+. 32 bit vista.

I am just on this side of stupid when it comes to computers so Can you change from 32 to 64??? Is that the windows program or is it in the motherboard??

Is there a sit to check what motherboard you have. I am assuming the motherboard is the telltell for how much you can upgrade.

With this system will getting more ram help or will I even notice?

KGB Knight
OP Offline
KGB Knight
Quote:

What OS are you running???? I thought you had to have either Linux or XP 64 to address more than 4 gigs...

To answer your question, I am running Vista Home Prem. 64 bit. And no I have yet to have a problem with it.

Former KGB Member
Former KGB Member
Quote:

OK heres what I got. HP m8000n. Yes I did not build my own I bought a family computer so my wife would not bury me in the yard. It came with 2 gig with 2 extra slots. I put in a 7600gs vid card(it only came with onboard one). Has AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core 5200+. 32 bit vista.

I am just on this side of stupid when it comes to computers so Can you change from 32 to 64??? Is that the windows program or is it in the motherboard??

Is there a sit to check what motherboard you have. I am assuming the motherboard is the telltell for how much you can upgrade.

With this system will getting more ram help or will I even notice?

I checked out the site for HP, they have a decent detailed list for the motherboard specs, although their web layout is kinda confusing, in any case heres the link to the motherboard model that should be on your model case.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docum...257&lang=en

According to the site you can go all the way up to 800 without a problem. from 533 to 800, thats a definite boost, now wether if you will feel the difference depends on how much you push your system to the limit. If you just use word and email everyday then you probably won't. If you have seven different photoshop applications all open at the same time, then quite possibly your computer will feel smoother. The little blue note that they cleverly pasted on the memory section of the page, makes me think that you will get backhanded down to 3GIGS if you put in all 4GIGs. So I would go with just purchasing 3GIGS, preferably identical 800s since it also has the dual-channel business, lol. I would make the jump from 533 to 800, no doubt.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134065

This is a nice set for a nice price, 3 of these would make it sweetness. And if you try for 4 and it doesn't workout, newegg's DOA policy is awesome.

Depending on the CPU you have it should be no problem, I looked up both amd cpus for your motherboard and they both support 64bit processing with the exception of one anthon 64 that is like uber rare and you wouldnt purchase it unless you wanted to have only 32bit stuff. However, if you wanted to make the move you would have to buy a 64bit windows and that doesn't come cheap if you go vista and it requires a bit more ram then just 3gigs to run decently if you go home or business anyway, xp is a lot cheaper and i would go as far to say more reliable at this point, still...lol

In any case, somethings that are on the horizon for you are the drivers for your accessories, and perifierals, cd-rom, speakers etc just about anything that requires a driver to function, even some software like certain background services would probably need an updated 64bit upgrade patch unless you bought it very recently and they thought about including that as part of the install. But something's might not work right and if it doesn't it means it needs to be updated. Also your processors are AMD which currently at this point in time they are at the lower part of the totem pole as far as speed goes when they compare to intel, atleast for now anyway. This in mind some hardware even software are geared more towards intel simply because of it's expandability and success as of right now. So if some things don't go as fast as you like them or as smooth it isn't thet hardware thats bad it's the people that made what your trying to use.

So as a wrap up, your set for 64bit you have all the right stuff, just need the OS and some fixatures on your devices and as long as your processor is the stock one. Which it should cuz thats what should have come with the computer, you'll be alright.

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Quote:

You do, for more then 4gigs but for exactly 4gigs which is what Helemoto wants, it's possible to do it on 32bit windows. The limitation isn't set by the OS your running, it' set by the motherboard design frame which then sets the OS your allowed to run on your machine.

I hate to rain on a parade here but. . . .

32 Bit Operating Systems have a maximum capability of 4GB
of Ram. However, Windows of the 32bit flavor will utilize
up to a MAXIMUM of 3GB. Recall it has to add the video card
memory into the mix and still has to fall under the 4GB max.

Even then, that is only available to you if you use the
/3gb switch in your boot.ini file.

Even so !

Most of the programs on the market today are limited to
2GB unless they are specially designed to make use of
extended Ram via that /3gb switch I mentioned earlier.

Not very many of those out there.

Thus, unless you plan on updating to a 64-bit OS AND
your hardware ( motherboard chipset ) can support it, do
not bother with increasing your RAM anything past 3GB as
your system won't be able to use it anyway. Will be a
waste of moolah !

-Daye

KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
Thanks for the INFO guys.

KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Quote:

Quote:

To answer your question, I am running Vista Home Prem. 64 bit. And no I have yet to have a problem with it.

Ah... well with a 64 bit OS there ya go... nice buy... by the way

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard