KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Raist
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,022,158 Trump card
1,339,365 Picture Thread
478,154 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Sini when you want to have an actual discussion and not play word games then I will gladly respond to you. Your question is obviously loaded and vague.

Just say what you mean instead of trying to force me into a untenable position with open ended questions.

I assume you have your own thoughts on my comments regarding extreme political ideology. Do you feel you belong to that group for some reason and therefor need to belittle my opinion?

I have clearly stated my thoughts and I accept I am not perfect. My mind has the ability to adapt to new ways of thinking as new ideas are presented....unlike some people.

What are your thoughts on the matter? I might agree with you and change my mind on some things.

Last edited by Sethan; 05/10/15 09:34 AM.
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Sethan
What are your thoughts on the matter?

I personally think that reaction to coming out as a Christian Conservative can be compared to coming out as a Neo-Nazi. Both are associated with very objectionable ideas. Christian Conservatives are not "small government, cut taxes" republicans, these are religious fundamentalists that deserve everybody's scorn.

The right of political association does not protect you from social consequences in form of speech acts. As such, twitter scorn is both appropriate and justifiable response... but it is ultimately pointless.

I might agree with you and change my mind on some things.

You won't. Our identity is defined through holding such believes, and the chances of you going though cognitive dissonance because of reason or logic are very slim. You ether already agree with me and being prickly won't change that, or you will never agree with me and I might as well needle inconsistencies in your views. Pure reasoning is extremely ineffective in both political persuasion and even simply persuasively communicating your position.

I am not trying to single you out by trying to portray you as especially illogical or irrational, you are not. This is universal human condition shared by everyone, including myself.

[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight

Originally Posted By: Sini

I personally think that reaction to coming out as a Christian Conservative can be compared to coming out as a Neo-Nazi. Both are associated with very objectionable ideas. Christian Conservatives are not "small government, cut taxes" republicans, these are religious fundamentalists that deserve everybody's scorn.

Pretty much....

They fight for less government and yet exert more control over the personal decisions people make. They are generally lead by fear of what they don't understand and wish not to understand. That applies to all far reaching political associations though.

I live in Texas so I know the ill effects of Christians Conservatives all too well. They are on parade right now in our local government. They are allowed to talk out both sides of their mouth just like the extreme leftist are. I will not defend the actions of either.

Ex..The government shouldn't be telling me what to do but them damn fags better not be getting married and smoking pot.

Ex....They shouldn't stop gays from getting married and woman from getting abortions but the government outta stop them damn rednecks from having guns.

I could go on for days but you get my point. Ignorance is ignorance....Lets not go picking the better flavor of ignorance.

Originally Posted By: Sini
You won't. Our identity is defined through holding such believes, and the chances of you going though cognitive dissonance because of reason or logic are very slim. You ether already agree with me and being prickly won't change that, or you will never agree with me and I might as well needle inconsistencies in your views. Pure reasoning is extremely ineffective in both political persuasion and even simply persuasively communicating your position.

I can look at my life and see a fundamental shift in my belief system on multiple occasions. That change came from being born a poor country boy out in the middle of a swamp to becoming a college educated middle class person living in the city.

I am still overcoming a lot of mental hurdles as I grow older and educate myself further on things I took for granted. The more I see the less I know...pretty much sums up my life.

Keep in mind our view of the world is generally a reflection of ourselves. I look at the progress I have made and have faith that others can do the same. Maybe you should consider why you think that way Sini.

KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Maybe you should consider why you think that way Sini.

I have. I think it is no big secret that I have very little faith in humanity. I would like to attribute your changes to innate rationality, but explanation is much less flattering - your socioeconomic status changed, your surroundings changed, and you were forced to redefine who is your ingroup. If you ever end up where you started, your views will shift back. If somehow you find yourself drafted as a concentration camp guard in Reich's army, you will stop believing Jews are people.

Humanity is highly irrational, we don't think, we associate and group. That how people end up in cults, that how people end up gassing Jews. None of it is a rational choice. It isn't just a banality of evil, it is banality of lack of choice.

My own example - as I grow richer and older, I am becoming more conservative. Suddenly Derid's fairytale about underpants gnomes of invisible market force starting to appeal to me. No matter how much I want to rationalize it that way, it isn't because I was persuaded by the arguments. No, it is because I got mine, and screw everyone else. Even while being aware of this, it is really hard to resist the tendency.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
LOL

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Actually makes sense...well crap

Last edited by Sethan; 05/11/15 05:31 AM.
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Agent K
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow.

Is that basically what you're saying Sini?

I agree with you that many people are incapable (or at least unwilling to expend the effort) of breaking from the paradigm you describe, but to assume that every human is that way is, I think, faulty reasoning or the height of conceit (if I can't help it, neither can anyone else).

As an example there are plenty of old rich people who aren't conservative, and poor young people who are.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Well crap

Now, don't you wish you picked what was behind the trolling door instead?

[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
I would still pick the same door. I would rather think than sneer.

Trolling all the time does not compliment your intelligence.
When you actually stop long enough to explain yourself, you generally make sense whether I agree with you or not.

Just my two cents

KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
In most circumstances poking fun at someone's believes is much kinder thing to do than explaining why they hold them.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard