KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 37 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Raist
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,094
Posts116,355
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Popular Topics(Views)
2,022,158 Trump card
1,339,365 Picture Thread
478,154 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Derid
Originally Posted By: sini
----

Point #1: Right or privilege, it still has to be done.

Point #2: Health care demand is inelastic; as a result costs are contained only by ‘net worth’ calculations.

Point #3: Wealth inequality creates a situation where increased profit taking from well-off consumers makes pricing bottom out of the market a profitable and acceptable business decision.

Point #4: Health care costs, at least in private sector research and development, are not driven by improving patient outcomes or quality of life but by maximizing profits.

Ok, so I chopped some of the quote to attempt to make it more readable. Much of what was chopped I think is inaccurate, but lets focus on the core issues:

Basically what you seem to be asserting in a nutshell, is that a combination of price controls and subsidies can solve all our health ills. (pun intended) Historically speaking, that type of economic management has led to a bread line - but lets go point by point.

Point#1 - most of your assertion that were valid regarding this were at the end, what you wrote for point#1 was mostly regarding your point#2. So lets move on to point #2

Point#2 - There are a few key things you bypass and ignore here. First of all, if a new treatment is not much better than the old treatment as you assert is a norm, then why is there a moral deficiency present when some people cannot afford the shiny new treatment?

Second, costs are actually in reality constrained by what Govt and Insurance (whose rates tend to follow Govt because Govt provides them with legal cover) is willing to pay - not what individuals are able to pay.

You also seem to ignore the fact that Supply and Demand is not an "aspect" of a "market economy". Supply and Demand is an absolute. A mistake many people make when doing an economic/social calculus and you appear to make - is confusing Demand for desire. Demand represents ability and willingness to pay as well as desire to pay. All your desire for price controls accomplishes is artificial limitation on demand. This creates economic distortions - more on this later.

Point#3 - This is an unfounded assertion, first and foremost. In fact, even current paradigm has large pharmaceuticals selling bulk, at reduced prices to even the undeveloped world after initial high-end USA market profit-taking. It would probably be fair to say that the rich will in many cases get *first access* to new products. This is true in some instances. Magic Johnson did not survive HIV in an era when it was a death sentence by being a poor nobody. But in most cases, long term strategy of not using developed IP and Mfg capacity simply because it is not as profitable per unit is not a viable business strategy. This is a recurring theme in your posts, but is more a worry than a real issue.

-----

Regarding your first paragraph of part 2, re: my objection to single payer. You absolutely did not address my concerns regarding price. When I talk about the pricing issue, you do not seem to understand what I am talking about - hence my snarky response to your cross-posting of this response in the other thread ( that, and the fact that you felt the snarky need to cross post to elicit a response, even though you took 2 days to respond.)

When I talk about pricing mechanisms, and pricing distortion I am referring to the question of - " How does a central entity properly determine and set price?". Because it cant. The market pricing process is a democratic process, where people literally vote on what a particular product or service is worth. Think of it as the original crowdsourcing. This process sends a signal to the world as to what something is worth, which lets potential suppliers determine if and whether supplying can be profitable and at what degree.

When this process gets disrupted by men with guns who arbitrarily set one unified price, then problems occur. Because the people setting the price, are almost never accurate in assessing the real value. A couple quick cases in point - the current drug shortages that worsen by the year, and the gas shortages in the Sandy aftermath. In the Sandy aftermath, "price gouging" was forbidden. So instead of gas and supplies being very expensive for a day, then prices dropping as new supply rolled in - there were extended shortages. Because the price people were "allowed" to charge did not reflect the extra costs, times and trouble that made shipping and distributing in extra supply worthwhile. So people either suffered without, or payed exorbitant prices from illegal black market.

--

Delivery of treatment is not a fixed cost. Many factors go into this pricing, including skill/schooling level required to provide, location, etc. Your groupings of cost types was also arbitrary and ineffective for the type of cost breakdown you attempted. You need much higher degree of granularity there to make it meaningful.

--

Point#4 - R&D is indeed a large cost. You are also correct in that some money goes to researching treatments as opposed to cures. However, the conclusion that follows from that.... has many untenable aspects.

First of all, there is generally no such thing as wasted health research. Often times breakthroughs come from unexpected places - people researching one thing, will find something that actually relates to a different problem.

Secondly, I demonstrated the correct model why single-payer countries could obtain bulk rates, because they were purchasing from a larger market. If they were trying to arbitrarily set a price, as opposed to buying at market rates then the efficiency would drop dramatically. They would either overpay and be less cost efficient, or underpay and face shortages of supply/quality.

Your assertion that single payer, were it to envelop the larger market - and attempt to set pricing by fiat - would not create shortages is a fallacy. This has been demonstrated by every other attempt at centralized price controls. The idea that a bureaucrat can determine proper value better than a market is pure fantasy. Already drug shortages are rampant in cases where the Federally mandated payout is not sufficient incentive for the drugs to be manufactured.

You argue that the Canada model where forced removal of patents to force companies to sell is a good model. Well, even as you admit your system would reduce R&D... in your world, exactly what new drugs or treatments would be available to be nationalized? If you know ahead of time that the Govt of the previously largest market is simply going to either rip you off, either by underpaying or nationalizing your efforts... what makes you think anything would be developed in the first place?

All the formerly market activity would now devolve into a political battle over what was "fair". There is no way an economy can operate in that environment.

---

You talk about rationally distributing health care. The only rational method, is to get Govt out of the health care business entirely. Health care is not something that springs from nothingness, to be distributed by fiat. It is something that many people must work very hard to provide and those services are not worthless. If we want to continue to have health care available to anyone but the wealthy who fly to non confiscatory countries for medical tourism, we need to immediately reverse course.

----

The Govt intervention in our system is the cause of our current mess. You talk like what we have now is a market system, but few things are further from the truth. Because we do NOT have a market system for health, and have not for some time- this is the cause of the present problems and spiraling costs.

I am not going to agree with your assertions on “market price”. What you describe is ideal-case scenario with unlimited access, perfect information and no outside influences. Buying and selling a sack of grain operates under these rules – there is plenty of grain, there are plenty of buyers, they are generally informed of the price and buyers are not forced to buy sack of grain 2.0 by outside entities regardless of its advantages over regular grain. Reality of health care “markets” is that it is a quagmire of patents, cross-licensing, multi-national regulations and exclusive provider contracts. You can argue that some or most of this is effects of government interference, but I have to point that you can’t possibly eliminate such interference and still have a system that produces safe products and protects investment into R&D.

To demonstrate the effects of above lets follow example of Oxycontin. First developed in 1916 by Bayer, and was still covered by various patents up until 2005! when latest version of the patent was thrown out by Court of Appeals. This is almost NINETY years of patent protection! How is it possible? Mostly it is patent games, generally you patent generic formula that produces low yield, then you patent ‘improvements’ or how you really went about manufacturing it to extend your patent coverage, then you dust off your safety data and publish all risks and patent reformulation that addresses or mitigates them. End result? Generics are kept out of the market for unreasonably long time, and in cases where one could manufacture generics regulation/policy are bought to mandate use of the newer product. Last but not least, you have education bias and kickback collusion schemes where doctors continue prescribing expensive drugs when generic alternatives exist. This example is pharmaceuticals, but it parallels in all other areas.

So why do we not just go with ‘old’ but cheaper versions? As I explained above, in too many circumstances we are prevented from doing so. Also in many instances insurance providers make this decision on your behalf, they cover latest-and-greatest, charge appropriately and ignore much-cheaper generic alternatives. Last but not least, there is demand for latest-and-greatest and since purchasing decision if largely removed from the consumer (insurance decides that for you) at no point is “let’s go with a cheaper generic” is seriously considered.

Point A: Consumer is largely removed from pricing decisions; as such the health care is biased toward latest-and-greatest, even when marginal improvements don’t warrant the additional costs.

Point B: Simplifying complex multi-party interactions to supply & demand leads you to wrong conclusions.

----

How does a central entity, as in single-payer, determine the price? It does it indirectly – it evaluates all possible treatments against its budget and determines the best use of that budget according to best possible outcomes. This results in a system that rationally assigns available dollars toward producing best possible outcome for the entire population, not an individual. If you price your treatment too high, it doesn’t get purchased. Occasionally, if treatment is deemed to be a question of national security (e.g. there is an epidemic, and you hold a patent for vaccine), there are no alternatives, and you are entirely unreasonable in your pricing, then government revokes its protection of your intellectual property in its jurisdiction. At no other point “men with guns” enter this negotiation, but there are plenty of accountants with spreadsheets that do.

As I demonstrated before, such system tends to contain costs and provide universal coverage. Again, single payer is not guaranteed to produce the best outcome for each individual, just the best overall outcome. I am also not opposed to two-tier system, but only as long as individual making purchasing decisions with their own money.

----

As to reduction of R&D under single-payer system. Government also sponsors a substantial portion of medical R&D, US have some of the most productive R&D programs covered with NIST grants. Even if all private research stopped, and it wouldn’t even with the worst case scenario, research and progress will still continue. Alternative that we are living in is having 50+ years old products withheld from the population and complete inability to control costs.

[Linked Image]
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Derid

Walls of text will be addressed when there is time to address wall of text.

Cross posting if for my personal archival purposes.

[Linked Image]
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
“While what you say regarding consumers not being fully informed is true - it does not *need* to be true.”

Can you elaborate on this point? My understanding is if consumer is detached from the price of the treatment, and insurer operates on percentage margins, then by covering new and expensive treatments they are able to push overall costs up and by doing so increase their profit in absolute numbers without increasing efficiency of profit extraction. The only downward pressure is consumers having to pay higher insurance premiums, but with employer paying most of it, pressure is very minimal.

In traditional sense market would operate along the following decision-making lines – Treatment A(expensive) and Treatment B(affordable) are available. If I pay directly and I can’t afford treatment A, then I will go with treatment B. This puts market pressure on Treatment A to lower price to better compete with Treatment B. This is not how the system currently operates – Treatment A is picked every time, insurers pass the cost to employer who absorbs it into labor costs, and individual consumer has very little say in going with Treatment B. In turn, if employer wants to lower coverage costs, they go with an insurance plan that covers fewer conditions, has higher deductible or lower lifetime max; but if this cheaper plan covers a specific condition, they still go with a Treatment A.

This is why I think employer-sponsored insurance-pool health care is a dysfunctional system. Single payer system would be better. So is everyone paying out of pocket (and influencing prices via market forces) with only major conditions requiring insurance.

---

“Also, you have not "demonstrated" that such a system contains cost. You have made that assertion, but have made no inroads in modeling such a scenario where that occurs. Large scale systems where this style of intervention has been implemented have failed without exception.”

This is not a falsifiable argument, as such it is invalid. See: No True Scotsman fallacy.

If I bring up examples of any other First World country, you will claim (and have in the past) that scale is too small. If I bring up other US-based cases, such as VA or Active Military health care, you will claim it is too different.

Formally: ‘US health care’ is not ‘Other health care’ for all healthcare that is not ‘Other health care’ is not falsifiable as defined.

---

I am not denying that R&D will be affected. While I don’t think effects will be as drastic as you propose, I don’t want to focus our debate on this, and will concede that it will be reduced and leave it ‘reduced’ unspecified.

‘Silver lining’ of my plans is that under single payer employers will be largely free from providing health insurance, as such normalizing labor costs over part and full time. It will also lower overall employment costs, assuming that US is not an outlier and health care costs under single-payer drop to around 10%GDP observed in every other single-payer country. Additionally it will allow greater labor mobility, lessening ‘bennies lock-in’ and will afford more business creation, freeing individuals from concerns of finding individual health coverage.

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
“While what you say regarding consumers not being fully informed is true - it does not *need* to be true.”

Can you elaborate on this point? My understanding is if consumer is detached from the price of the treatment, and insurer operates on percentage margins, then by covering new and expensive treatments they are able to push overall costs up and by doing so increase their profit in absolute numbers without increasing efficiency of profit extraction. The only downward pressure is consumers having to pay higher insurance premiums, but with employer paying most of it, pressure is very minimal.

In traditional sense market would operate along the following decision-making lines – Treatment A(expensive) and Treatment B(affordable) are available. If I pay directly and I can’t afford treatment A, then I will go with treatment B. This puts market pressure on Treatment A to lower price to better compete with Treatment B. This is not how the system currently operates – Treatment A is picked every time, insurers pass the cost to employer who absorbs it into labor costs, and individual consumer has very little say in going with Treatment B. In turn, if employer wants to lower coverage costs, they go with an insurance plan that covers fewer conditions, has higher deductible or lower lifetime max; but if this cheaper plan covers a specific condition, they still go with a Treatment A.

This is why I think employer-sponsored insurance-pool health care is a dysfunctional system. Single payer system would be better. So is everyone paying out of pocket (and influencing prices via market forces) with only major conditions requiring insurance.

---

“Also, you have not "demonstrated" that such a system contains cost. You have made that assertion, but have made no inroads in modeling such a scenario where that occurs. Large scale systems where this style of intervention has been implemented have failed without exception.”

This is not a falsifiable argument, as such it is invalid. See: No True Scotsman fallacy.

If I bring up examples of any other First World country, you will claim (and have in the past) that scale is too small. If I bring up other US-based cases, such as VA or Active Military health care, you will claim it is too different.

Formally: ‘US health care’ is not ‘Other health care’ for all healthcare that is not ‘Other health care’ is not falsifiable as defined.

---

I am not denying that R&D will be affected. While I don’t think effects will be as drastic as you propose, I don’t want to focus our debate on this, and will concede that it will be reduced and leave it ‘reduced’ unspecified.

‘Silver lining’ of my plans is that under single payer employers will be largely free from providing health insurance, as such normalizing labor costs over part and full time. It will also lower overall employment costs, assuming that US is not an outlier and health care costs under single-payer drop to around 10%GDP observed in every other single-payer country. Additionally it will allow greater labor mobility, lessening ‘bennies lock-in’ and will afford more business creation, freeing individuals from concerns of finding individual health coverage.

#1: Insurance

Your understanding is not particularly incorrect so much as it is incomplete. Most insurance plans have payment limits, which certainly influences choices and influences price.

I think your model of how insurance works is also slightly off, insurance companies do not want to pay more for the sake of paying more. In fact, their adjusters work extremely hard to work at paying less or nothing wherever feasible. Typically they charge as much in premiums as the market will bear, match benefits against their risk model and set limits and conditions accordingly, then work at minimizing their expenditure any way they can. Alternatively, consumers can negotiate with health providers based on the total pool of insurance available. Contrary to what some people seem to think - health care costs are in fact negotiable in most cases.

But lets step back for a second.

First to get a handle on this topic, we need to understand the purpose of insurance in a free market. The simplest way to put this, is to say that insurance exists to turn unpredictable costs into fixed costs. In a free society, the insurance providers with the best models that let them charge the least in premiums for the maximum possible protection will garner the most customers and generate the most profits.

If we understand this, we can quickly see how govt meddling with things can only cause chaos and add distortions to the calculations of the insurance providers which are forced to include govt in their calculations. One quick and simple example of a million possible: govt requiring plans to cover "substance abuse". The vast majority of people are at 0% risk of spontaneously contracting a bad case of "substance abuse" requiring treatment. However their premiums will now necessarily reflect not just the cost of turning their risk into fixed costs, but rather they are also paying what effectively amounts to taxes on their insurance - thus making good insurance less affordable. Even more importantly, it gets insurance away from its primary purpose for existing.

Now the first thing that comes to mind is "that clause is part of Obamacare, which requires everyone to pay into the insurance pool." Insurance companies are also limited in the amount of non-payout related expenses - only 20% can go to administration costs an profit taking. So yes, under the Obamacare paradigm insurance companies now ARE incentivized to pay more in terms of absolute payouts,because that is the only way they can increase absolute profit amounts. However this sorry and sad state of affairs is the result of incompetence in politics, not anything inherent to the concept of insurance itself.

Now, going back to information regarding the consumers. An educated consumer in a free market can and should be expected to analyze the cost/benefits of a particular insurance regime.The fact that some people *choose* not to take time to evaluate both insurance, and health options is not logically a concern of anyone else. It only becomes a concern when govt decides to force the rest of us to pick up the tab for people who neglect to do so. This is a mistake of govt, and should be abolished.

Non sequitur preemption: proper safety nets are not equivalent to subsidizing poor decisions.

There is no reason a person, often in conjunction with their primary care physician, should not be able and expected to make educated decisions regarding both insurance, and health options. Thats a large purpose of primary care physicians in fact: to help people make sensible health decisions. So its not like people have to make all these decisions without assistance.

If we step back, and look at the entire picture - from a birds eye perspective of society as a whole, it should be clear that using private insurance as a delivery means for social services is silly. All it does is leave insurance providers unable to properly perform their core function: sell amortization of the cost of risk.

But thats getting into another topic.

------------------------

#2 Discussion on the viability of the single payer:

You are wayyy off base here. Talk about ignoring context and antecedents.

The reason the single payer will not work here is because it runs afoul of the laws of economic calculation. My argument is not based on disproving your assertions to thusly prove my argument; I was simply explaining to you why they will not work. You tried to say an apple was an orange, I pointed out it was an apple. You tried to say a mouse was an elephant, I pointed out it was a mouse. But it is the laws of economic calculation that prevent your system from working, explaining where your assertions actually fit into the larger scheme of things does not a fallacy create.

Next.

----------------------------------------------------

You do not think it will be as drastic why? Its actually pretty easy to get a quick estimate on roughly the amount of the decrease using your model. You claim most delivery and etc costs are fixed, so the primary discretionary cost is in fact R&D which you claimed was a great portion of our overall health costs. So if our health expenditure is 18%GDP and falls to 10% GDP and our GDP is what approx 12T? Thats approx 960B less spent on health care. So where does this almost a T come from? One would have to assume the bulk would come from R&D.

Sure, the exact amount is hard to figure but a ballpark idea is pretty easy. Let say , conservatively, its at least 500B - and I think thats very conservative. Ultra conservative.

Anyhow, the thing that is hard to properly calculate is *how* it influences R&D exactly. Its not like most programs will continue - but with a small percentage of the funding. Figuring out which programs will be cut, which reduced, which kept - and the resultant loss of human progress and vitality is where it becomes impossible to determine.

You seem to think that somehow money would be magically invested in the "most efficient and valuable " products to rationally advance needed health care. In reality, I think we would simply see R&D primary focus on viagras, hair growth products, and other things that would cater exclusively to the affluent abbove and beyond govt mandated coverage. We could probably say bye bye to hard and to expensive research of niche conditions outside of curious university students.

The problem with the left, is that indeed - typically they do not want to focus on the utter devastation and chaos their policies cause. That is in fact *the* problem with the modern left. By putting on blinders and focusing laser-like on one specific issue at a time, while ignoring all the collateral damage, the modern left strangles and suffocates human development.

The left would have a lot more credibility if it cleaned up the side effects of its previously implemented policies before moving on to create new chaos and destruction.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council

Quote:
I think your model of how insurance works is also slightly off, insurance companies do not want to pay more for the sake of paying more. In fact, their adjusters work extremely hard to work at paying less or nothing wherever feasible.

You are confusing two different issues here.

Ideally insurance wants to operate by providing coverage for any and all conditions, with minimum co-pays and deductibles and at the same time denying every single claim. This is rough model to maximize profit in ideal (to them) business environment.

We are not talking about denying claims here. We are talking about coverage. Coverage that insurance competes on. As such, I still stand by my assertion that chasing latest-and-greatest regardless of cost-effectiveness is forced on insurances by customer demands. This is mostly because customers are detached from individual purchasing decisions.

Quote:
Contrary to what some people seem to think - health care costs are in fact negotiable in most cases.

If you are paying directly, and in position to pay outright before the treatment, then yes, prices could be negotiated. Otherwise, not so much. Often times, the fact that you have insurance, even if they denied or only partially cover the treatment, locks you into inflated price due to how contracts for 'preferred provider' operate.

Anecdote - couple years back I had to get a treatment done. Insurance would only cover 50%. Doctor was not able to go down on the price as long as insurance paid any part of it. I negotiated direct payment deal that ended up saving me money over insurance coverage.

Quote:
There is no reason a person, often in conjunction with their primary care physician, should not be able and expected to make educated decisions regarding both insurance, and health options.

You can't claim this. Cost of individual coverage reserved to well-off and healthy. Majority of people are at the mercy of employer-provided health insurance plan. Your only choice is to opt in or opt out. As such, given that you are on the plan and have no choice about what this plan is, it is natural to consume up to the maximum within limitations of this plan and your personal health situation.

Quote:
If we step back, and look at the entire picture - from a birds eye perspective of society as a whole, it should be clear that using private insurance as a delivery means for social services is silly.

I agree. This why I see single-payer as an improvement over existing system. I also think that pure market driven system will happen to be improvement over status-quo (if you only consider monetary costs and ignore human costs).

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

You are confusing two different issues here.

Ideally insurance wants to operate by providing coverage for any and all conditions, with minimum co-pays and deductibles and at the same time denying every single claim. This is rough model to maximize profit in ideal (to them) business environment.

We are not talking about denying claims here. We are talking about coverage. Coverage that insurance competes on. As such, I still stand by my assertion that chasing latest-and-greatest regardless of cost-effectiveness is forced on insurances by customer demands. This is mostly because customers are detached from individual purchasing decisions.

No, though they also deny claims- insurance companies often negotiate pricing.

Quote:

If you are paying directly, and in position to pay outright before the treatment, then yes, prices could be negotiated. Otherwise, not so much. Often times, the fact that you have insurance, even if they denied or only partially cover the treatment, locks you into inflated price due to how contracts for 'preferred provider' operate.

Anecdote - couple years back I had to get a treatment done. Insurance would only cover 50%. Doctor was not able to go down on the price as long as insurance paid any part of it. I negotiated direct payment deal that ended up saving me money over insurance coverage.

Here is where it gets complicated. It depends on the nature of the ailment, the medical institution in question, what govt policy is regarding the ailment (ex: if there is a possiblity of govt picking up the tab if patient does not have insurance able to cover cost). In your case, while I have no idea what your ailment was (or need to know) , since you have indicated you are a high income individual - the health provider likely had a policy of not negotiating the price where insurance covered part because a lower income individual would have been able to have govt pick up the remainder of the cost.

Also, additionally it can also partially reflect the overall costs of doing business with govt. A dollar in hand better than 10 in the future and all.. knowing when and how much you will actually get paid carries a value as well. Especially when compared to govt payouts, which the medical facility probably institutionally expects during the majority of those cases - and hence writes policy around it.

I have a similar anecdote, where costs were entirely negotiated based on the amount of insurance payout available.

So, it just depends. In most cases its the govt that makes it complicated, though you can also find bureaucratic inefficiency and general human error on the part of providers as well.

Quote:

Quote:
There is no reason a person, often in conjunction with their primary care physician, should not be able and expected to make educated decisions regarding both insurance, and health options.

You can't claim this. Cost of individual coverage reserved to well-off and healthy. Majority of people are at the mercy of employer-provided health insurance plan. Your only choice is to opt in or opt out. As such, given that you are on the plan and have no choice about what this plan is, it is natural to consume up to the maximum within limitations of this plan and your personal health situation.

Sure I can claim this. Especially if we add in tax deduction for individual insurance purchases. Nixon just screwed the pooch with his HMO laws. People just got used to the idea of employer provided health insurance, because at the time employers thought it sounded like a good recruitment/retention tool because instead of paying $X more to employee to support insurance purchase, they could spend $X instead on insurance directly and recieve tax deduction.

It became so widespread, that some people have come to the mistaken conclusion that this is somehow the natural order of things - and how things should be. It isnt. Falling incidence of employer provided health is just a byproduct of falling real wages in general - and needs to be addressed with the wages issue, not with the health issue.

Just put individuals on the same tax terms as companies, and see people start demanding additional monetary compensation and pursuing their own health plans.

Quote:

Quote:
If we step back, and look at the entire picture - from a birds eye perspective of society as a whole, it should be clear that using private insurance as a delivery means for social services is silly.

I agree. This why I see single-payer as an improvement over existing system. I also think that pure market driven system will happen to be improvement over status-quo (if you only consider monetary costs and ignore human costs).

The human costs would be negative in terms of USA living standards - as in would be reduced in a free society. Simply opening up reimporting of patented items would serve as a huge boost to cost competitiveness as well. Companies wouldnt be able to overcharge us in the USA while low balling the cost to poorer parts of the world. Of course, prices would rise for people in poorer parts of the world - but my aim is not to subsidize the rest of the world, but rather to keep the USA sane.

In a single payer world with no market mechanism, it become impossible to calculate relative value. How much should a hip replacement cost? How much should a new drug cost? How much should phsyical therapy cost? Bureaucrats , no, any humans, are incapable of determining this.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Death Panels

Quote:
But the fact-checking only reduced belief in death panels among Palin supporters who otherwise had very little knowledge of politics—people who couldn’t say, for example, how many U.S. Senators there are in each state. By contrast, as shown in the picture, Palin supporters who also held basic knowledge of U.S. politics were resistant to fact-checking –debunking of the death panel myth not only failed to dissuade them from believing in death panels, but actually caused them to believe more strongly that such panels exist.

[Linked Image]
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
U.S. Lags Peers in Life Expectancy

Quote:
"The [U.S.] health disadvantage is pervasive—it affects all age groups up to age 75 and is observed for multiple diseases, biological and behavioral risk factors, and injuries," said the report's authors, who are public-health and medicine academics recruited by the government panels.

Most money spent, least results. Bad policy, ineffective spending = third world country results.

[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
But those 0.99 McDoubles are SOOOO good!

Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
""The [U.S.] health disadvantage is pervasive—it affects all age groups up to age 75 and is observed for multiple diseases, biological and behavioral risk factors, and injuries," said the report's authors, who are public-health and medicine academics recruited by the government panels.

The shorter life expectancy for Americans largely was attributed to high mortality for men under age 50, from car crashes, accidents and violence. But the report also said U.S. women's gains in life expectancy had been lagging behind other well-off countries."

But the chairman of the panel of authors, Steven Woolf, a professor of family medicine at Virginia Commonwealth University, said the report showed that health outcomes were determined "by much more than health care."

"Our health as Americans is only partly aided by having a very good health-care system," he said. "Much of our health disadvantage comes from factors outside of the clinical system and outside of what doctors and hospitals can do."

The authors noted that Americans who lived past age 75 had higher survival rates compared with similar countries, and Americans overall had better rates of surviving cancer and strokes. They also said the U.S. better controls high blood pressure, cholesterol, smoking rates and use of alcohol than many other nations.""
--------------------------------------------------------

These are the important parts for this ongoing discussion. The rest is just political bias from the authors.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard