KGB Information
Untitled 1

Visit KGB HQ
www.the-kgb.com

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Today's Birthdays
Almalel, Garal
Newest Members
Luckystrikes, Shingen, BillNyeCommieSpy, Lamp, AllenGlines
1,477 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums53
Topics13,095
Posts116,357
Members1,477
Most Online276
Aug 3rd, 2023
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
None yet
Top Posters(30 Days)
Sini 1
Popular Topics(Views)
2,045,083 Trump card
1,344,952 Picture Thread
481,910 Romney
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sini Offline OP
KGB Supreme Court Justice
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
I said:

Originally Posted By: sinij

2. It is both practical and cost effective to enable all-inclusive access to health care. People priced out of the system still end up using it to some degree (emergency rooms and so on) but in ineffective manner, and this increases overall cost to society.

You said:

Originally Posted By: Derid

2. Your second point is a simple false assertion. You will likely try to justify it with an observation that preventative medicine is cheaper than emergency room care after a would-be minor problem has become a major one. This in of itself is true, and proves that the current status quo is inefficient. What it does not prove however, is that your model of universal care is any better - because systems need to be evaluated independently and in the entirety of their effects, so until you can accurately model a universal system wholly - you cannot make an assumption that such a system would actually address this or any other issue sufficiently.

"Your second point is a simple false assertion". Not according to government data and studies, some that I even linked in this post.

"You will likely try to justify it with an observation that preventative medicine is cheaper than emergency room care after a would-be minor problem has become a major one." It is not justification, it THE REASON. It costs more to go to emergency room. End of story.

"What it does not prove however, is that your model of universal care is any better." What does universal health care has to do with emergency room costs? Why bring it up here?

"so until you can accurately model a universal system wholly - you cannot make an assumption that such a system would actually address this or any other issue sufficiently." I cannot accurately model our universe ether, but I can make accurate observations about its properties. You insist changing subject of this discussion from "emergency room medicine cost a lot, maybe we should get more people into doctors since we have to pay for the whole mess anyways" into "universal health care is bad". These are not the same arguments, and they have very little to do with each other, other than you are wrong on both accounts - universal health care is demonstrably more effective than what we have now.

Just to remind you:

Life expectancy

Australia 81.6 yr
Canada 81.2 yr
Sweden 80.9 yr
Netherlands 79.4 yr
US 78.1 yr

Healthcare Costs:

Sweden (social, 9% GDP)
Canada ( social, 9% GDP )
Netherlands (state mandated purchase of private health insurance, 8% GDP)
Australia ( social, 6% GDP)
USA (private, 15%+ GDP)

Swedish healthcare costs or $3319 per person
Canadian healthcare costs or $3899 per person
US healthcare costs or $7291 per person

[Linked Image]
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court
Chief Justice
KGB Supreme Court

Cherry picked, and already debunked. I explained it to you already.

Next.

--

Also as a reminder just to refresh your memory - those countries are 1) much smaller, 2) mostly operate more as a large corporation functionally speaking, 3) benefit from US system setting base prices 4) Have their defense mostly subsidized by US 5)Disparity in number of smokers per capita alone accounts for aggregate difference in life expectancy 6) US system isnt private, its mixed - where govt artificially inflates pricing for many services delivered to US citizens domestically

And I could go on. Thats even without bringing up the declining quality over time, and many many issues those countries experience.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)
KGB Supreme Knight
KGB Supreme Knight
"An honest question I have, is if education was decentralized... would Texas really end up as a "creationist state".. or are the bulk of the sensible residents just enjoying being lazy, by not participating in civil society using the excuse that "The FedGov will take care of it"?"

A valid question.

See if I can provide an answer for it :D

It's not that folks are lazy or stupid, but rather the majority of folks down here are full-blooded Bible Thumping types who take Jesus and the Gang a bit too seriously.

When it comes to fanaticism, your fire and brimstone variety of Southern Baptists aren't far off from our overseas counterparts who burn down embassies when you say something unflattering about their prophet.

When the MAJORITY of the population WANTS creationism in school, well. . . . you reap what you sow I guess.

So, yeah. You would see Texas education become the craziest sh*t you've ever seen. . . lol

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Derid

Cherry picked, and already debunked. I explained it to you already.

Next.

Shameful how quickly you capitulated. I was actually curious what new take you going to try, apparently just a new doze of denial with a side order of selective amnesia. What makes you think that this time around your exactly same flawed argument would work?

Quote:

Also as a reminder just to refresh your memory - those countries are 1) much smaller, 2) mostly operate more as a large corporation functionally speaking, 3) benefit from US system setting base prices 4) Have their defense mostly subsidized by US 5)Disparity in number of smokers per capita alone accounts for aggregate difference in life expectancy 6) US system isnt private, its mixed - where govt artificially inflates pricing for many services delivered to US citizens domestically

#1 is irrelevant, absolute numbers, %GDP and spending per capita allow you to compare countries with different population. Otherwise, nothing would ever be comparable to say, China or Luxemburg. This is 'magic' process called normalization.

#2 is benefit of the system, its like saying trains don't derail because they run on tracks. Well, duh.

#3 is unsupported assertion/speculation on your part. It ignores all medical R&D done elsewhere in the world. I would not be surprised if US is #1 spender in absolute number in this area, proportional to GDP, but again magic of normalization can help us here. Even if I were to agree with your premise, wouldn't it actually reduce medical spending by generating export revenues?

#4 What does defense spending has to do with healthcare? Or are you just going down the "generic conservative FUD list" and hope I would be too disgusted to touch this point with a 10 feet pole?

#5 Dealing with smoking, obese, sedimentary people is a universal First World Problem. While I know we have our fair share, I don't think US has a monopoly on fat ignorant fucks. Plus in other countries fighting obesity, smoking and unhealthy lifestyle is part of medical spending.

#6 Whatever US system is, with Jesus on a toast added to it, it is a) really expensive b) does not generate nearly as good results as in countries with socialized medicine. US healthcare generates THE BEST results for top 1% of population that can afford "all you can eat", rest of the country - it miserably fails and POPULATION-BASED statistics show that.

[Linked Image]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
Absolute "richest" is meaningless - wealth is a ratio of money in/money out, someone living in a bush in Africa with an access to shaman doctor is richer than unemployed, uninsured person living in the projects in the US.

you cant believe that

KGB Darkfall
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Daye

When it comes to fanaticism, your fire and brimstone variety of Southern Baptists aren't far off from our overseas counterparts who burn down embassies when you say something unflattering about their prophet.

I don't think this is fair comparison, I lived in Texas for years, and while you are absolutely right on fanaticism, culture of "mind your fucking business" takes precedence. Most places you wouldn't know they are Christian unless you go to church with them or talk politics... but if you do... DEAR MOTHER OF GOD.

[Linked Image]
Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: Cheerio
Absolute "richest" is meaningless - wealth is a ratio of money in/money out, someone living in a bush in Africa with an access to shaman doctor is richer than unemployed, uninsured person living in the projects in the US.

you cant believe that

You earn 100,000 a year but you spend 110,000 you are in the same $10,000 hole if you only earn 15,000 and spend 25,000.

[Linked Image]
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
KGB Supreme Knight
King's High Council
A $10,000 deficit is a $10,000 deficit. You may have a prettier house, but your ass is still broke.

[Linked Image from i30.photobucket.com]
KGB Knight
KGB Knight
I cant say Texas would do that, the school my kids attend is a rural school, and it is ranked 12th in the nation.

Even with the Dept of Education gone, civil liberty lawyers would ensure you maintained a separtion of church and state.

However I do feel all religions need to be tought in the schools, put it under phislphil, theology, or what ever you like. The goal is to bring more tolearnce into it, if you can understand where the other person comes from, there is a chance of less hatered and intolrance.

Sini Offline OP
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
OP Offline
KGB Paladin
King's High Council
Originally Posted By: RedKGB

Even with the Dept of Education gone, civil liberty lawyers would ensure you maintained a separtion of church and state.

I am not so sure. Even on this board separation of church and state is highly controversial.

[Linked Image]
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Derid 

Link Copied to Clipboard