Originally Posted By: Drakiis
can you say backfired thread?

I'm not sure how you think this thread has backfired.

When a country becomes attacked you will get a call for things such as the Patriot Act. That's only with a couple planes hitting buildings. Imagine what would happen if a NUKE went off inside a city, I would almost bet there would be no such thing as bill of rights anymore, or civil rights for that matter. But that's bringing up extreme measures.

Those measures almost happened in 1995. We were participating in Norway test firing missiles. We supposedly had told Russia about it, apparently communication broke down and Russia nearly launched an all out nuclear attack on us by accident. Apparently watching a 4 stage rocket in your hemisphere makes your ass pucker when you don't get a "test firing" note to the right people.

As you know, the Nuclear Football was opened and put in front of Boris Yeltsin, luckily he hadn't been drinking and didn't believe his military leaders when they told him they believed we were attacking. We were 5 minutes and a decision from being eliminated. Even if ONE nuke went off, the America we know wouldn't be what it is today. Patriotism means devoted love, loyalty. Most would try to protect something they love to any lengths, even if it meant taking away some rights. I'm still not drawing how that is anything like Communism, unless you simply meant communism is bad and so is patriotism at extreme lengths in the name of protection.

Last edited by Wolfgang; 12/03/11 03:58 PM.