I dont think Clinton was ever any better, Clinton just never had full control of congress. The GOP had some backbone back then, and the Senate managed to stonewall all of Clinton's major initial idiocies. After the mid-term, Clinton had to deal with Newt.

If Bush hadnt been such a terribly divisive idiot and weakened the GOP so badly during his tenure we would not have had to have Obamas shit shoved on us to quite this degree.

The biggest mistake the GOP is currently making, is seriously persuing the presidency. All the party resources should be going to Congressional races and Senate seats. None of the GOP hopefulls stand much of a chance at beating Obama anyhow... and even if they did you still need majorities in Congress to do any real fixing.

Best case scenario unfortunately, is to have the GOP to scrape by with a minority for the next few years and let the nation continue to suffer badly enough that blowback against the Dems is so great in 2016 that everything can be fixed in one swoop.

Unfortunately, even in that Scenario I have little hope. Bush and his GOP had that opportunity and instead of getting gov't off peoples' backs, he decided to try and break all of our backs.

I was previously having some hope, due to the rise of the Tea Party. Unfortunately it seems to have been thoroughly and utterly hijacked in most parts of the country by the most extremist sort of religious nutcases.

The proper role of Federal gov't is to defend liberty. Not dictate about Muslims or homosexuality or culture or abortion.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)