Noone was implying that references to God were prohibited. Just reiterating that the USA is not a Christian country, it is a secular one. I will agree that attempting to stifle Christian public expression is not a good thing, but in regards to this conversation that is a "straw man" as I certainly, and the writer of that piece also were not condoning that type of action.

Some prominent speakers and politicians have been ignoring that fact that the USA was founded on secularism as of late, setting an extremely dangerous tone and precedent. The tone being set is one that needs to be confronted and challenged if we wish to maintain liberty.

Honestly, the problem that you and I both refer to are two sides of one coin. The coin itself, metaphorically speaking, refers to the body of people who in fact do not see the bigger picture in regards to the role of gov't preserving Liberty for all; but rather religious partisans of various stripes. For the purpose of this discussion, I consider Atheism a religion - a belief that there is no God is still a belief regarding God and Conscience.

What this article is about, is the bigger picture, the lasting truths regarding the founding and intent of this nation. I think it is something worth remembering the next time a politico spouts off their ideas on how best to shape society according to their deeply held religious beliefs.

Last edited by Derid; 07/06/11 05:36 AM.

For who could be free when every other man's humour might domineer over him? - John Locke (2nd Treatise, sect 57)